UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Info And Advice Sought From Knowledgeable Fugees Please

owl

What a horrible thing for her to do :( Are the RSPCA going to get involved from the cruelty angle? She should be prosecuted because she clearly has no concept of human decency.

Did anybody see her do it? If so then the Daily Mail might be an option cos they love this sort of story - would be good to see her named and shamed then maybe she might think twice next time.

8 kittens of various sizes & a heavily pregnant young queen are now in rescue, and I am about to ferry 2 queens over there now. Several kittens remaining and hiding away, need to source trap.

Neither police nor RSPCA will act. Police say they are no longer responsible for anything to do with dogs even if said dogs are causing a nuisance or are a danger. My friend rang DEFRA who say that is rubbish and the police should act. They suggest the DWs. Ours are pretty good but not contactable until Tues.

I think the Derbyshire Times is going to get a call ...

Off to deposit these queens in rescue now, 30 miles away. Wispa is disgusted and says I smell of cat pee. She hasn't smelt the van yet, and may be so disgusted that she will come on this forum to put me up for rehoming!

That is outrageous of the police. As for the RSCPA - I've not had any respect for them for a long time. They don't help when needed and interfere when they should keep out.

Merledogs is right - the Daily Mail would jump on this and may shame the police to do something. Such a shame it was a staffy involved.

8 kittens of various sizes & a heavily pregnant young queen are now in rescue, and I am about to ferry 2 queens over there now. Several kittens remaining and hiding away, need to source trap.

Neither police nor RSPCA will act. Police say they are no longer responsible for anything to do with dogs even if said dogs are causing a nuisance or are a danger. My friend rang DEFRA who say that is rubbish and the police should act. They suggest the DWs. Ours are pretty good but not contactable until Tues.

I think the Derbyshire Times is going to get a call ...

Off to deposit these queens in rescue now, 30 miles away. Wispa is disgusted and says I smell of cat pee. She hasn't smelt the van yet, and may be so disgusted that she will come on this forum to put me up for rehoming!

If the local police won't act then contact the chief constable for the area. We have done that with quick results.

• Like 1

I've been watching the repeats of Animal 24/7 where they laud the RSPCA and at the end of the programme, the presenter says if you know of any incidents of wildlife or domestic pet cruelty, Inspectors are waiting for your call. Or not, as the case may be....

How about contacting Calendar or Peak FM Owl, and naming and shaming the police and local RSPCA? I dread to think what that vile woman's son will grow up to be like, with her as an example!

Thank for suggestion about Chief Constable, good idea. Yes, we are thinking about the media but at present we are cat-catching and exhausted. It was cheering though to see this morning's batch again, now well fed and having rested and cleaned themselves up. They were like different cats. All using litter tray nicely as well.

Oddly enough our local police are very much on the ball with wildlife crime, which is why we have to report to them every time we are after Bones or Diesel at night, especially if we have a trap out.

A Doglost volunteer who is also very good with cats (and hedgehogs!) is coming to help trap tomorrow.

I was out on a dog search today so missed the action, but a kitten took refuge in the kitchen and got itself stuck behind a wall unit which had to be removed. It is now in rescue, but one of the second batch yesterday turned out to belong to a neighbour. M swore it was one of hers, but I did think at the time it looked too plump and sleek. This one has now been returned to her rightful home. She isn't responsible fro the cat explosion as she is spayed. Also in rescue are the 3 legged cat who is the ancestor of most of this mob, together with her very young kitten. These were in the house, my friend heard the kitten when she went upstairs to the loo, and found the pair in a bedroom. M had sworn there were no cats in the house and said she no longer had the 3 legged cat. Rather than confront her, my friend smuggled them out and whizzed off with them. M hasn't said anything so far, because she would then have to admit she was hanging on to a breeding queen and had lied about still having her there. Poor thing has had litters non-stop since 6 months old.

I was out on a dog search today so missed the action, but a kitten took refuge in the kitchen and got itself stuck behind a wall unit which had to be removed. It is now in rescue, but one of the second batch yesterday turned out to belong to a neighbour. M swore it was one of hers, but I did think at the time it looked too plump and sleek. This one has now been returned to her rightful home. She isn't responsible fro the cat explosion as she is spayed. Also in rescue are the 3 legged cat who is the ancestor of most of this mob, together with her very young kitten. These were in the house, my friend heard the kitten when she went upstairs to the loo, and found the pair in a bedroom. M had sworn there were no cats in the house and said she no longer had the 3 legged cat. Rather than confront her, my friend smuggled them out and whizzed off with them. M hasn't said anything so far, because she would then have to admit she was hanging on to a breeding queen and had lied about still having her there. Poor thing has had litters non-stop since 6 months old.

It seems you are slowly getting there.

How many cats/kittens are still there?

Is M still living there?

There is a cat with very young kittens in a hole in neighbour's rockery. My friend is feeding her, and an experienced cat person is going to help as this may be tricky.

Maybe 8 more young cats/kittens running around, plus a big tom.

M is still living there with a few basic bits of furniture and a ton of junk. Most of her stuff is now in the new private let which she is now not going to. Apparently the housing officer is collecting her on Weds to show her some other council houses.

My friend is making an appointment with housing officer for her and myself to go and have a talk about M's situation.

All cats and kittens who went to rescue are doing very well, and have started to play and have fun like normal house cats.

Edited by owl
  • Like 1

Breakthrough! The chief housing officer called my friend from his holiday, as friend had insisted she had to speak to someone urgently. Housing Officer has only been in the post for 2 1/2 months and has not been updated with the lengthy history. He is totally supportive of my friend and is free to help her as she is a council tenant. He did meet M the other week but she told him a pack of lies, and he is observant enough to see through at least some of them.

We know now that M is definitely leaving and housing officer is getting her into somewhere smaller. He applauds our cat management and has forgiven us for pulling a unit off the wall along with some tiles to retrieve a kitten which fell down the back of it, and says he hopes the kitten is ok.

When he returns next week we can have an appointment with him as he wants to know everything which has been going on!

• Like 3

M had told us that the housing officer is collecting her tomorrow and taking her to see some brand new council houses which have just been finished. He says that's news to him cos there aren't any such houses and he is still on hols tomorrow.

Hopefully the housing officer will be able to sort things out once and for all- at least for your friend.

It is just a pity for whoever she ends up beside but maybe the housing people be able to involve some other organisation to keep an eye on her.

I hope you manage to rescue all the cats and kittens.

People now seem to be addressing the welfare issues as well. The community police officer is now back from holiday and is getting involved, so at long last we have key people in housing and police onside.

I can see the problem which the police would have putting M on the witness stand re the dog attack. She has already given me two conflicting versions of it. She would not be a credible witness. The only other witnesses are children.

It seems that both the CPL and the RSPCA have been involved in the past and have taken cats. Unfortunately they did not get them all, probably because M hid queens as she tried to with us, and the population built up again.