UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Info And Advice Sought From Knowledgeable Fugees Please

owl

The council already know about her and say there is nothing they can do.

However, M has been much calmer during the week as we have got most of her belongings other than furniture to the new house. Tomorrow the removals van comes back, I am on standby if needed and we are waiting to say what happens with the cats.

I certainly think M needs more oversight and support than she is getting. I have only just learned that she has brain damage from a serious head injury some years ago which made the schizophrenia more problematic.

Well, everything was sorted for today, all the books, ornaments and small stuff having been moved by my friend and me during the week. Local farmer who is a decent man is taking some of the cats. Removal van turned up, everything packed and off they went. I was tracking somewhere else but friend was keeping an eye. Friend took cage birds and dog over. But as soon as the men started to unload the van, M went off on one and announced she didn't want to move after all and everything must go back to the old house. My friend said, but you told me you really wanted to move, we have been helping you all week, you can't do this to people. So M went ballistic and flew at my friend to attack her, but couldn't get to her because a removals man stood himself between them. Friend went home, and now tells me the lights are on in M's house so she must indeed be back there.

But it is a council house and we think the council won't let M withdraw her notice especially as a family is waiting for the house and M is over-occupying as it's 3 bedrooms. If the council have to physically evict her it's not going to be fun. But if she slugs a council officer that might get the relevant authorities to take action at last.

My only concern now is for animals and birds. The birds have mites and desperately need vet treatment according to a nice removal man who keeps birds himself. Pregnant dog is only 9 months old, probably about half way through her term.

oh that poor little dog, and the poor birds too. i hope the council do make her move and if she errupts at them then at least they will physically see the problems she has caused and hopefully give her the help she needs, that is the trouble with mental health problems..... the person has to accept the help, my nan is schizophrenic and she is currently in a hospice, if she turns round and says to them she doesn't want to take her mental health medication they can't make her as much as we tell them to do whatever is needed to get her to take them their hands are tied. i seriously hope your friend gets some peace soon.

We have been given details of an organisation called Focus who assist not only people with mental illness but also their friends, relatives and anyone with concerns about them. They should be able to find someone to help in our area.

My psychiatric nurse contact tells me that there are recently introduced specific guidelines for the police to deal with criminal behaviour by mental ill persons, and there is a unit which will assess them if they are arrested.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I can see M has no professional backup at all. She was under the care of a recovery group but has apparently been discharged. I now have the number people can ring if they are concerned about a vulnerable adult in N E Derbyshire so am calling tomorrow. M is still at her old house with all the animals and the heavy furniture. She has been telling the neighbours that the electricity company is paying for and arranging a removal van!! Her tenancy ends tomorrow and the council will want her out. What will happen is anyone's guess. They are quite gung ho about evictions and simply change the locks and put any remaining furniture into storage. If the tenant does not collect it from their store, they sell it off. My friend is trying to get the truth out of her as to whether a van has been booked at all. I am betting it hasn't. Our main concern is the animals. All the cats will be hard to catch and need trapping.

Goodness, i hope there is a van booked and she is soon on her way, if not yes you are right about the council.... our housing association changed the locks on my uncles place, boarded it all up with his gear inside and when he removed the board to get his stuff out he got done for breaking and entering.

i hope all animals are easily captured too

My friend has managed to have a conversation of sorts with M. My friend along with other grans was cooing over someone's new grandchild in pram when M came marching down the road, sneered at baby and said "There is no mixed race blood in that!" As baby's father is mixed race this was fighting talk, but all the grans held their temper and just pointed out that such a comment was out of order. But M let fly with extreme language at one lady so everyone scarpered. Then afterwards she came to my friend's house, and had a fairly civil chat through the chained door. According to M, the new house where all her stuff is has been broken into and her belongings trashed so she doesn't want to live there and either will stay put or move to some very new council housing. She says the housing officer will have all her belongings moved to a new place next week and will arrange and pay for all the move.

I will be popping over to the new place to check if it has indeed been broken into and trashed. It's close to a nice country park so we can have walkies there.

Tomorrow I will be on to the hotline to ask for some help for M as she appears to be on another planet.

you are a very wise Owl!! i think the lady definitely needs help, good job the grandmothers all walked away with their tempers intact...... it is all well and good for the police to hide and say they can do nothing with people with mental health issues but it could easily be her who comes to harm.

Went to the new house, don't know if it's true about the damage as curtains were drawn, but found all but one of the packing crates I lent her stacked outside so took them away. Glad I recovered those.

It could indeed be M herself who comes to harm sooner or later, the way she treats people.

Well, we are stuck. Social services adults-at-risk line can't deal with people with mental illness, only those who are at risk because they can't physically look after themselves. Those with mental health issues are dealt with by the mental health team, and the only way anyone can communicate with them is by getting a referral from a GP. I suggested to my friend that she talks to her own GP about the stress caused by M, but she is afraid that if M's GP calls her in and talks about her behaviour she will know that someone one the estate has reported her and will make everyone pay. The whole estate is terrified. The assault she carried out a few years ago on one woman was quite savage, police were involved, but M harrassed the woman's family until they dropped charges. People on the estate are frightened of damage to themselves, their houses, their cars. If M does move to the new place I have a feeling that the folk there won't let her get away with stuff, they are mostly young couples and no seniors. The neighbouring property on one side is a pub, so she needn't try messing with whoever runs that.

Turns out M may have the keys for another couple of weeks, we don't know. If she doesn't move and the council let her stay, her reign of terror will continue.

As far as the animals are concerned, the cats are very wild, and even the kittens are hard to catch, but I don't think M will be in the least bothered if we catch and take them. I am worried about the pregnant dog and the birds, going to pester the RSPCA.