UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Veggie Plot 2012

houndzrus

Marge, I loved your photos last year of your harvests and I look forward to them again this year.

I hope I'll have some pics this year too.....but on a smaller scale than yours :laugh:

Thank you, I spend the summer battling against weeds, vermin and diseases, so anything I get, however small is a bonus. Looking forward to your pics too. :biggrin:

I've just popped up to the allotment and transplanted some broad beans that were getting too big for their pots.

f2c9c74f.jpg

potting on all done, hopefully these plants will stay in these rootrainers until they're ready to plant out. Belive it or not, there are almost a hundred plants here. The big one is a volunteer "something" that I allowed to grow. Should have sent it to the lotty weeks ago, but I keep forgetting! :laugh:

aa02b250.jpg

B&Q were selling some net tunnels for £10.99 which I almost bought for a couple of containers round the side of the house. Glad I didn't now, because I made my own today for free. OK, it's not much to look at, but it does the job and uses up a few odds and ends. :rolleyes: I will be putting rainbow chard and perpetual spinach in here. Don't know about the small container yet.

90af06c5.jpg

I am also trying a little experiment, mingling flowers and veg in tubs. So far, little violas and lettuce. ( I had some lettuce left over from transplanting, but can't remember what they are) Need something taller for the middle. (veg) maybe spring onions or something like that?

9813b606.jpg

Quick trip to the lotty today, took the fleece off the shallots and onions and got a lovely surprise. All of them growing well! :guitar:

shallots

c8ea8835.jpg

onions

566765ab.jpg

They are looking a bit squished, because I couldn't get there earlier and the fleece was on at least a couple of weeks longer than I intended, but considering it didn't rain for a fortnight after I put them in, I am pleased so many are up now.

The elephant garlic is growing at a pace now and overtaking the normal garlic. this pic was taken before I weeded. The Elephant garlic is the nearest two rows.

46aceae5.jpg

Unfortunately the weeds grow faster than my plants :err:

Keith finally got round to putting the guttering on the shed so that the water butt will collect water. He was so inspired that we ended up at B&Q getting a bit more for the other side, as we have a smaller butt that never seems to fill. :huh:

638691b6.jpg

• Like 1

Quick trip to the lotty today, took the fleece off the shallots and onions and got a lovely surprise. All of them growing well! :guitar:

shallots

c8ea8835.jpg

onions

566765ab.jpg

They are looking a bit squished, because I couldn't get there earlier and the fleece was on at least a couple of weeks longer than I intended, but considering it didn't rain for a fortnight after I put them in, I am pleased so many are up now.

The elephant garlic is growing at a pace now and overtaking the normal garlic. this pic was taken before I weeded. The Elephant garlic is the nearest two rows.

46aceae5.jpg

Unfortunately the weeds grow faster than my plants :err:

Keith finally got round to putting the guttering on the shed so that the water butt will collect water. He was so inspired that we ended up at B&Q getting a bit more for the other side, as we have a smaller butt that never seems to fill. :huh:

638691b6.jpg

WOW that is one serious wate rbutt.

• Like 1

That is a mega water butt! I have a good sized one on the garage which collects water from one side of the garage roof only and you'd be surprised at how quickly it fills up. I need to get another butt to take the overflow, especially with this weather we're having at the moment :rolleyes:

• Like 1

That's great Sandra. :thumbsup_anim:

Well, we have surprised ourselves this weekend, by how much we have got done,. We were quite lucky this morning and got a lot done before the heavens opened, so we finished the last bit of path in about 7 minutes flat! We will have to finish it properly, but here's some more pics.

The guttering done on the other side of shed, so now that butt can fill up too. The spare bit of decking will do for Cherry to have her bed on. :ninja:

7aff55e0.jpg

Weed membrane on the path.

d9f57983.jpg

and the last bit that took 7 minutes in a heavy shower. :laugh:

15b6ae0f.jpg

And one just for fun, it works! Will need more than this drop though :laugh:

23568110.jpg

• Like 1