UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dog Barks

ranirottie

I never really thought about this before but can you recognise your dogs bark from any others?

I was sitting upstairs at the computer when I heard a dog bark and I immediately thought "that's Kizzy". I dismissed the idea because Kizzy rarely barks and mostly because it came from out the front of the house. My dogs are never allowed out the front because we are near a busy road and have a drive with no gates. Altho my dogs have free access to the back garden there is no way to get to the front unless you go through a gate and a locked side door, so it couldn't be her. When I heard the bark again I looked out of the window and Kizzy was on the front doorstep waiting to be let in. My heart went into my boots. Apparantly hubby had put the dogs behind the hall gate to put out some rubbish but hadn't noticed Kizzy asleep in the living room,she must have followed him out. Luckily she is a home bird,all mine are, and won't wander. I could have killed hubby. :angry: Would you recognise your dogs bark? x

Edited by ranirottie

I reckon I can recognise my two. Mind you, Daisy does have a particularly distinctive/unusual bark, so I'm not sure she's a fair test!

One thing that particularly intrigued me was when Daisy did some 'work' for an undergraduate's animal behaviour dissertation a few weeks ago, and during the session, she barked a couple of times - and the student said she was going to ask one of her tutors to interpret it for her. :ohmy: I'm seeing her dissertation supervisor tomorrow night, so I really must ask what that's all about.

Definitely would recognise my two apart but then they have very different barks though both the same medium-size lurchers. Sally has a high pitched, very penetrating, 'yippy' sort of bark whereas Sonny is very deep and loud like a really big dog bark.