UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Winston

GoldenOldie

My beloved old lab Winston was pts last week approaching the age of 15. He was a combined retirement/60th. birthday present for me in November 2006,found by my daughter in the Old Woofs kennels at a Lancashire sanctuary. I had lost 2 of my oldies that year and the intended present was to be a small, young dog - I got a 53kg. geriatric Colossus of a dog, donation only and worth so much more.He had been signed over after spending 6 months alone in his previous owners house while relatives and friends went in to feed him; no exercise and overfeeding (even with the best intentions) had left him struggling to walk and breathe properly and I often think how lonely he must have been.

Winston has been the most wonderful, happy, mischievous dog, the ruler of the household in a quiet but determined fashion, showing foster dogs the ropes and treating the pesky youngsters with patience and gentleness. In his last weeks the latest little JRTx foster would often stand between his legs while he ate, which he tolerated with his usual good humour, knowing she never touched his food.

His best friend was Jess, my 11 yr. old cat, and from Day 1 they shared a bed and in spite of his size and arthritis, Winston never lay on him and they would seem to negotiate positions until both were comfortable.

He loved to steal, in true lab fashion, and was expert in emptying bins, helping unpack and sampling the content of shopping bags.When I bought a new bin with a tight fitting lid he simply hurled it around the kitchen until it opened - it still has a dent in the lid.

Winston loved his toys, his food and in fact, everyone and everything. He was a devoted companion, slept while I was at work and had various places in the house where he could keep an eye on me while I did housework, I had a succession of rugs and beds in those places so he was warm and comfortable.

He survived surgery twice, was plagued by arthritis but responded to medication, and only ever got down to 48 kgs., despite the best efforts of myself and my vet. He was in fact, a veritable Colossus of a labrador, much taller and broader than average, with a massive head and stout tree trunk legs which served him well up to his final hours.His great paddle of a tail was always wagging and he was a 'smiley' dog.

Eventually he slowed down to a standstill, could no longer go for walks and his legs were getting very weak, he was a very tired old man. I gave him a peaceful ,dignified end when he could no longer get his back legs to work, at home surrounded with love. He was , to the end, offering his paw to the vet and trying to roll for tummy tickles as he always did with visitors.

Farewell my boy, enjoy life at the Bridge .

• 2 weeks later...