UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What Do To With Ollie'S Ashes....

Tempest

I'm guessing that the vets are going to call me soon to pick up Ollie's ashes and I'm just really wondering what other people have done with their dogs ashes in the past as I'm really not sure of the best thing to do :unsure:

Initially I'd thought I'd sprinkle them on a walk that meant a lot to me with Ollie and a place I knew he loved but then Chris said about waiting until we move house with a bigger garden and plant a tree and bury his ashes with it and then if we ever move to take the tree with us (but not sure how practical that is!) :unsure:

I know other people that have kept their pets ashes at home but I just really don't know what to do and don't want to sprinkle them at the fields and then wish I'd kep them with me :unsure:

Also if anyone knows of any kind of memorials/or things that they did to remember their lost dogs I'd really love to hear about them as I'd love to do something for Ollie. I was thinking maybe a memory box for him or something? I've already got a scrapbook that I made for him a couple of years back with lots of piccies and all his training certificates and rossettes and bits and pieces so I'm glad I've got that.

I'm going to go into town later as there's a shop that does canvas prints of your photos so I thought that might be nice but any ideas much appreciated.

We have the ashes of our first two dogs in lovely wooden boxes - Merrie sits in the sunshine on th windowsill as she loved to lie in the sun and Stitch resides on the shelf of the whatnot behind Nick's chair because that was his favourite place to lie. Both caskets will come with us when we move to France and we will find suitable resting places in that house when the time comes.

I went to a trade exhibition recently and there was a section with all of the companoes that do different things with ashes ( admittedly people's though. ) They can be compressed into diamonds and made into jewellery or enclosed into glass paperweights with a picture. And everything in between.

I didnt come away with any info , as its not really my part of the market. But i am sure that they should be Googleable.

Both of my girls are in their boxes on the bookcase in the living room. I did intend to scatter Harriet (aka Poobags)on the beach at Hunstanton because she loved it there, but I couldn't bear to be parted from her. Bonnie was a real home bird, so she has to stay too. I couldn't bury either of them in the garden, as I couldn't bear to think of them being cold and damp. :mecry:

If you are not sure then don't do anything you might regret later, just keep them safely at home with you.

Your loss will still be raw and your emotions changeable so it's best not to rush into anything you can't reverse.

:GroupHug:

as above give it some time you dont need to make any decisions just yet :GroupHug:

from a personal [point i keep mine and any of my rescues dogs that we have lost, they will remain here until i go then we will all be sprinkled together somewhere nice, my reasons for not sprinkling them first is that i didnt want something be built on the area i choose making it impossible for my own ashes to follow on.

I plan to do one of two things with my dogs' ashes...

1. Put them in a huge planter with a tree or flowering bush on top so I can take them with me if I ever move

or

2. keep them in the house and when I die, stipulate that all our ashes are scattered together somewhere.

:GroupHug:

mecry.gif I agree with whiz, if your not sure what to do, then its best to keep the ashes safe in the house and wait until your really sure what you want to do.

We had to have our old dog put down at home and now she is buryed in the garden, it was very hard to do and many tears, but at least we know she is close to us.mecry.gif .

Gillian