UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dogs Die In Hot Cars

K9Fran

For a family treat this morning, we went to our local Borders bookshop, which has a Starbucks upstairs. As we pulled up a BMW 318i touring also pulled up, and I noticed 2 large pointy ears in the back. The driver and his companion then set about opening windows and leaving water - fine, but it was 11 0'clock, it was already warm but overcast with the sun threatening to break through any moment and the car was not in shade......

After we had entered the store I saw the BMW couple behind us, so I asked if they knew that dogs died in hot cars - OH walked away and left me to it, while the male of the couple told me to mind my own business. I must have reached an age now where I don't really care what other people say, and started telling him how temps increase rapidly in cars when the sun comes out etc...... He told me to stop embarressing myself and to take it outside (I wonder which one was embaressed, apparently people were looking, but not at me). I refused and he did the 'talk to the hand' thing (how childish for a man in his later 30's early 40's?). so I did, following him round the store until he told me to report it to the RSPCA (he also claimed he'd have left his child in the car!!) So I did! They left the store soon afterwards......

OH was furious, but I'm fed up of 'letting it go', and when an animal, child or defenceless adult is involved, I'm going to get stuck in.

Took me ages to stop shaking, but I feel so much better for having done something.

• Like 1

I think you were quite right to make a fuss if there was a likelihood that the dog might be over heated.

I've had this with people who tie their dogs up outside shops. Some are grateful for a friendly warning, never having thought about the risks before, but others think I have a screw loose and should mind my own biz.

Good for you :flowers: I hope your OH was furious with the dog owners not with you? :unsure:

I had a disagreement with a dog owner in Starbucks too - he'd gone inside and left his poor dog stood outside and it was shaking (either in fear or cold, or both, but neither was good). He didn't take kindly to me letting him know I didn't think he should be leaving his dog loose and shaking outside a shop in a very busy city centre, just so he could get a coffee.

I'm afraid I've given up worrying what people might think of me when I'm worried a dog might be in danger. I do try to start off politely though, they just don't always appreciate my "input" :rolleyes:

Well done you!! flowers.gif There should be more people who speak up like this. It infuriates me that there are still so many people who don't think of the conseqences of leaving their dogs in cars. angry.gif

In fact I dread going out in hot weather because I can't help looking in every parked car I pass, just in case.

Well done, I have done something similar in the past.

It isn't just cars were dogs can overheat and die, I was talking to a lady when I was away who told me that she lost her GSD when she left him in the caravan on a hot day. She was new to caravaning and it was her first trip out, left the dog in the van on a hot day, left windows open etc but when she got back her dog had died. She has never forgiven herself for this.

Well Done you.

I have done similar many times and got a few clumps for my trouble and also a few chaps have got clumps for sticking up for me but my mouth starts going and I have no control when an animal is in possible danger.

I too start off polite but the minute they get stroppy - they get the sharp end of my tongue.

I would never sleep at night if I could have intervened and didn't.

Now I know I am amongst normal people. Cos I do exactly the same. thumbsup_still.png

Like others I start very politely. But with having family members in various forces, worked in a factory and catering,( ok, age comes into it as wellrolleyes.gif ) it is surprising the phrases that you pick up!!!!angel.png

ETA. The guy was a twonk.mad.gif

Edited by greys mum

Well done, you did exactly the right thing. I'm actually planning to sort out some leaflets to keep in the car so I can have them to hand to give to people or leave under windscreen wipers. I'm bored of writing little notes every time along the lines of 'Your dogs look very hot and are panting very hard....etc'. I asked the staff at a garden centre the other day to keep an eye on a full coated alsatian that was in a car in the car park and to their credit they went and checked it immediately so they knew which one it was.

Since the start of the summer I have found 3 dogs in cars - the first two in Asda carpark and alerted their customer services and asked for the owners to come forward - then waited b the car until they came - which they did pretty quickley but the third was in tesco's. Two young lad had informed customer services and I heard the announcement over the tannoy at 2.35 that a dog was in distress in a car - and then again at 2.45. I asked customer services to show me where the car was and waited. The large doberman was panting dreadfully stuck in the back of a fiesta!! I dialled 999 and told them that I was about to break the car window - and was informed that I would be breaking the law - so I said ok send a squad car and Ill deal with it then. THe operator just kept asking me for my name and address and not to break the glass.

I told him I would give the owner 1 more minute as to my knowledge this dog had now been in the car for over half an hour and it was baking.

An old woman - 70 if a day - covered in wrinkly tattoo's pulled her laden trolley up to the car and asked me what I was doing - I told her that I was going to break in to get the dog out and she told me to mind my own business. I asked her to open the car and give the dog a drink - which I offered her and she started swearing at me that I was a no good busybody. She said I have only been gone a few minutes - I said more like 45 at least - she was very rude. I told her that I had called the police and that I would report her to the RSPCA as I had her car reg - didnt know if this would work but I was so angry.

She then filled the car up with her shopping squeezing the dog into the front seat and drove off!! I waited for the police and was told in no uncertain terms that had I broken the window I would have been arrested!!! I asked them to put it on record that I wouldnt hesitate to smash a window etc., and walked away.

None of my family ever want to come shopping with me.

Since the start of the summer I have found 3 dogs in cars - the first two in Asda carpark and alerted their customer services and asked for the owners to come forward - then waited b the car until they came - which they did pretty quickley but the third was in tesco's. Two young lad had informed customer services and I heard the announcement over the tannoy at 2.35 that a dog was in distress in a car - and then again at 2.45. I asked customer services to show me where the car was and waited. The large doberman was panting dreadfully stuck in the back of a fiesta!! I dialled 999 and told them that I was about to break the car window - and was informed that I would be breaking the law - so I said ok send a squad car and Ill deal with it then. THe operator just kept asking me for my name and address and not to break the glass.

I told him I would give the owner 1 more minute as to my knowledge this dog had now been in the car for over half an hour and it was baking.

An old woman - 70 if a day - covered in wrinkly tattoo's pulled her laden trolley up to the car and asked me what I was doing - I told her that I was going to break in to get the dog out and she told me to mind my own business. I asked her to open the car and give the dog a drink - which I offered her and she started swearing at me that I was a no good busybody. She said I have only been gone a few minutes - I said more like 45 at least - she was very rude. I told her that I had called the police and that I would report her to the RSPCA as I had her car reg - didnt know if this would work but I was so angry.

She then filled the car up with her shopping squeezing the dog into the front seat and drove off!! I waited for the police and was told in no uncertain terms that had I broken the window I would have been arrested!!! I asked them to put it on record that I wouldnt hesitate to smash a window etc., and walked away.

None of my family ever want to come shopping with me.

Well done you - I would come shopping with you.

Leave