UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Having A Sad Day :(

Tempest

Apologies for posting with no particular purpose really. Just feeling a bit sad about Olls today :(

I had a chat with the vet on Monday and we've cut the steroids from 2 a day to 1 and already things seem to be worsening. This morning he did a poop in the kitchen (which is really unlike him) when we were getting ready for a walk he got all excited and fell down the stairs from half way down :( He really took a tumble but picked himself up okay and didn't seem hurt thank goodness.

Then in the kitchen this evening he was standing watching Chris cook and his two back legs just started slipping away from him in opposite directions and I managed to run across the room and grab him before he fell and all evening he's just seemed really wobbly (almost like he's drunk and standing with his hind legs crossed).

I think I'm just so conscious of doing the right thing by him and not making any kind of decisions too soon/too late that I'm not thinking clearly. I had a long chat with Chris tonight and we both agreed that he's excited when you pick the lead up/get home from work, is eating well and can still go to the loo on his own and that as long as he's doing those things then things must be okay for him. I've asked Chris to promise to tell me if he thinks we need to make a decision as he's far more objective than I am when it comes to Ollie and I think that will help.

I don't think I feel like it's time for him to leave us yet (but then I'm not sure that I ever will) but I just don't know how you ever know when is right. I'm really conscious that I don't want him to suffer at all and the vet has said that he's not in any pain and if anything it's that he can't feel his legs that's the problem!!!

I think I thought we'd have another six months at least but I don't think that's going to be the case now. I'm also really scared about how he's going to be when he's fully off the steroids :(

All in all just feeling a bit 'woe is me' :(

:GroupHug: :GroupHug: :GroupHug: to you and Ollie dog

That's the only problem with dogs, they break our hearts far too easily :wub:

They let us know when it is time, our old springer was incontinent, wobbly on his legs etc for a year before he let us know it was time. We knew it was time to go when we went out to the cinema one evening, and he fell over in his mess and couldn't get up again - the look on his face told us everything we needed to know. As long as Ollie is still eating, wanting to go for walks etc, don't worry :GroupHug: :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

Oh Jules, I'm sorry you are having such a hard time :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

I can well sympathise, having been there too many times in the last few years. I can only say that in my experience you will know when Ollie has had enough. I hope it's a while away yet :GroupHug:

Lots and lots of :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: to Olllliiiiiieeeeee and a big :GroupHug: :GroupHug: to you. I'm another one who is sure that Ollie will let you know when he's had enough. Just remember that he sees the world rather differently than you: he doesn't know that he's old and has a neurological condition. All he knows is that he's got a home where he is much loved and where the floor is doing silly things sometimes. :)

I don't know if this is any help at all, but I noticed an article in Dogs Today of this month, where Catherine O'Driscoll is talking about something that her oldie is getting for her wobbly legs (I think it's called Serrapet but I might be wrong). Might be of help to keep Ollie's legs in check a bit more?