UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Happy Birthday Little Man

Mrs Mop

My little Whippet/JRT is 13 years old today, he was 10 months old when he came here, it was the second time this little man was rescued, really careless of him to get into a rescue situation again. :laugh:

Joe was found being used as a ball by some teenage boys, he was 6 weeks old, he was taken off them, the owner contacted and they no longer wanted him so he was fostered by a friend for a local rescue. He was then rehomed to a family with 4 children, aged 17 to 4 years old. These people thought you trained dogs by beating them so Joe wouldn't go back to them so the beating continued. As he no longer came back and their garden was not secure, they rarely let him out to toilet, the result, he toileted in the house. Eventually he was kept in the teenage son's bedroom to control him. This son was into drugs and often had his friends there, Joe was given drugs because they thought it was funny.

Hubby left and the woman couldn't cope with Joe, she contacted my friend who knew I wanted another dog. I went to see Joe and they also had an old Springer bitch was was incontinent but had never been taken to the vet. This Springer was in a terrible state, her back legs were raw and bald. I gave he £20, told her to use that for the Springer and if she didn't I would report her to the RSPCA and walked away with Joe.

At that stage I didn't know that Joe had brain damage, that quickly surfaced once we were home. Joe became very attached to Dixie and Tommy, our dogs at that time, and he helped hubby through his first 2 years after having a stroke, he learnt to laugh again.

Joe did make a lot of improvement but after being attacked by 2 Weimaraners he never recovered from this, made worse by Gracie wanting to kill him when she first came, they are now very good friends.

Joe now has the same heart problems that Bill had but he can't have a valve replaced, he is on medication but is deteriating. He sleeps most of the time now in his crate, door open of course, it is his choice to be in there, and he copes really well with the 2 youngsters putting them in their place. This has only happened in the last 6 months.

Joe may not see his 14th birthday and I suspect that he and Gracie will go quite close together, she is deteriating as well.

Joe, my adorable little man.

Joe28.jpg

Joe1265.07.jpg

AJoe28.7.jpg

Joewithhisboot2-1.jpg

Bonfire night :biggrin:

Joe_0001-1.jpg

Holiday5.jpg