UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Swine Flu - Pandemic Alert Level Raised, How Worried Are You?

snow

It's a strain of flu, not a killer virus as the press seem to be leading us to believe. Chances are if you get it you will be ill for 5 to 7 days, just like 'normal winter flu', yes some people will die (as they do each winter from 'flu') but swine flu is not a death sentence which some of the media seem to be reporting, so no I won't be walking around in my mask.

My thoughts exactly :flowers:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NHS Direct is suggesting on it's website that people could start to prepare now by having at least 2 weeks worth of food and supplies to hand ...

See, this is why every household should have at least a couple of chickens :biggrin: The Phoebejo household will survive on eggs alone :laugh:

See, this is why every household should have at least a couple of chickens :biggrin: The Phoebejo household will survive on eggs alone :laugh:

No no no no no you've not being paying attention to ALL the scares have you :angry:

You'll have Avian flu and Salmonella :flowers:

Not in the least bit bothered. 100 and odd people is hardly a pandemic. I don't fly on planes and am far to idol to go on holiday.

I didn't get bird flu, I didn't get mad cow disease and I ain't getting swine fever either.

I do think the press is having a bit of a field day.

TBH I am a bit of a what will be will be type person. I'm probably too bone idol to be bothered about it. :laugh:

I'm with Snow on this one. I do think its silly to panic before things get too bad but I think it's equally silly to just dismiss it as hype. Yes we've had "scares" before with SARS, bird flu etc but I've never known the WHO have an alert at 5, the government to leaflet every household and the NHS to ave that sort of guidance on their website. I don't think we're all doomed but I do think this will spread around the UK and I do think more people will die than with regular flu purely cos the vulnerable types who usually get vaccinated won't be vaccinated against this strain. I'm a long way off panicking but I will be ordering a few extra things from Tesco this week just in case.

100 and odd people is hardly a pandemic.

A pandemic is simply an infectious disease which spreads across a large geographical area so yes it is a pandemic. People seem to think that pandemic refers to the severity of the disease but it doesn't.

i'm not worried, and i live in torbay, one of my daughters freinds goes to the same school as the young girl, who is recovering well at home, i think the papers are yet again having a field day putting the fear of god in us when its really not nessesary, good hygine and the correct meds and common sense should keep this under control, :unsure: