UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Old Age

Tisaann

Do dogs get old all of a sudden? Rosie is my first 'own' dog as opposed to one owned by my parents whilst growing up. She is a Cavalier King Charles and one on those that has always been on the larger size of slim. She is 7 and turns 8 in may. Rosie has never been a bouncy in your face dog and has generally plodded through life in a very chilled out manner. However, in the last couple of months she has decided that she is now in her dotage and any walk that lasts longer than she can be arsed to walk is a no no and 'baby steps' will be taken until we reach home. Everything to do with Rosie health wise seems ok and normal. She eats (most days) , she sleeps ( like a Greyhound), she plays (though not for long) but walking her has become a real chore. If things don't pick up (which I don't think they will) then I will take her to the vets but wonder if this is necessary if it's just old age. Rosie has only ever been to the vets for minor medical reasons 3 times in all those years so I'm wondering what's going on?

8 seems very young for old age to be kicking in, to me. I'd take her for a checkup. Better to find it's nothing much now than leave it a few months and risk ending up with something that could be a lot more difficult to treat if it's not caught right at the start.

Given Cavs tendency to have heart problems I'd want to get her hecked out, as heart problems can cause lethargy and lack of energy. I'd agree, 8 seems young for it to be 'just' old age.

Good luck, I hope you are able to get to the bottom of it.

I've not owned a Cav but nearly 8 doesn't sound like "old age" generally so I agree about having her checked at the vets.

You've mentioned that she's always been on the "larger size of slim" - could she do with losing some weight? Being overweight could slow her down/make her more reluctant to walk.

Another thought is that the weather has been warm recently - what sort of time are you walking her? I just wondered if you were walking her when the day is at its hottest, if it would be worth trying earlier or later when it's cooler? Or maybe you've not been having the sunshine we have?

Hope she's ok :flowers:

agree with everyone that maybe a check is in order, and it could be weight or possibly the start of heart problems.

Whatever the outcome make sure she does get at least one walk a day - even if it is a little one with baby steps. A bit of exercise does help the circulation and if she does not go out it is not going to help her. Toastie gets ploddy very quickly now - bounce bounce bounce to go out, then trot, then plod, but I do make sure he goes out and gets some exercise rather than just pottering round the garden and snoozing.

Many Cavs are susceptible to heart disorders and some of the signs are lethargy and a reduction in their excercise capabilities. I have had a few dogs with heart disorders and it was always one of the first warning signs.

Don't mean to alarm you though - most heart disease is very treatable if caught early enough :) Best get her checked out at the vet just in case.

:GroupHug: for you and Rosie.

Edited by Houndwoman

For what it's worth, one of my best friends has 2 cavs - both aged 8 - and they are both very "old man" type dogs :rolleyes: They will sleep constantly, grumble at having to go outside, and are both very picky with their food :rolleyes:

As this is different to "normal" behaviour for Rosie, I would agree that it would be best to get her vet-checked but some cavs do tend to age early :flowers:

The vet has now been booked for next friday as I have a day off then and can get there in a calm manner rather than rushed in the evening after work. Rosie goes out for a walk twice a day. We go over Mitcham common in the mornings (45 min slow walk) and in the evening we go over the 'green' where she meets up with other doggy friends. However, whilst they are all doing their 'thing' she is sitting watching them or mooches about sniffing the pavement.

One thing about Rosie with regards to her heart and that is her breast bone seems to have a rather large gap between the 2 sides ( almost h hands width size). She has always been like this and no one has ever commented on it. Don't know if it's a Cavalier thing or not.

Thank you for your replies btw :flowers: