UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What I've I Done

yena

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are all fallible and we all think we're not until it happens.

Too true. It's not for me to sit in judgement about the way you live your life Yena. I can't see me personally getting an animal that way, or from a breeder - reputable or backyard - come to that, but I'm only human so I can't say for sure I will never do either, neither or both. I respect your honesty.

I hope you have many happy years with Daisy :wub:

:wub: Daisy is gorgeous and if her ears go up she will look just like my Kizzy.

I think Yena was fully aware of the reaction that she would get on here so I admire her honesty. My Pixi is a puppy farm bitch that I adopted from Many Tears and I have been told that people who adopt the ex breeding bitches that are thrown out are encouraging the breeding of more pups. But Pixi has a great life here and is loved,that is what is important to me. I personally would never buy a pup from a pet shop,byb or puppy farm but isn't taking Pixi on the same thing? x

Of course it isn't! You've helped clean up the puppy farmer's mess; if rescues don't take on the "surplus" bitches they take a one way trip to the vet (if they are lucky), and the farmer will calculate the cost of that injection into the overheads. I've heard that argument before and I think it's complete nonsense.

I don't think anyone begrudges little Daisy the good home that she undoubtedly has found herself, but the fact that the vile establishment as well as a puppy farmer have been given money for her. :(

daisy is lucky she now has a good home, unfortunately living close to one of these pet supermarkets i have to pick up the pieces fairly often such as titch and jack, smuggled out by a member of staff after she found them aged 7 weeks and close to death from parvo dumped in a bin to die, or any one of around a dozen dogs bought on a interest free credit card and bred on the first season to recoup the cost of the dog and to pay off the bill (that seems to be a common thing due to people buying on a whim whilst going there for something else.

or a friends jack russell who now aged two stands proudly at 24 inches to the shoulder and despite them loving him to bits is a dobie cross and one whom they paid 275.00 for and have the pedigree, or the black west highland white that my friend grooms :wacko:

there are also the decent breeders whose dogs are used on fake pedigrees with the potential of their line being brought into disrepute should any health problems show in these puppies.

Or the people whose dog becomes ill within the 'guarantee' period who find when they go back that guarantee means they will swap the puppy for a new one not treat the one you bought.

im glad daisy is safe and im sure she'll have a fab life but i wouldnt want inexperienced potential owners visiting the refuge to think that i dont have a problem with these places because i do and i will not be happy until they are outlawed.

good luck with your new arrival :flowers:

The Refuge is a pro animal welfare forum, and the vast majority of the staff and members here are pro rescue and very much anti puppy supermarkets for very good welfare reasons. Yena has herself said she knew what she was doing was in her own words "awful" & that she knows the arguments against supporting such places. In all conscience we cannot fail to react to a thread like this by expressing our disappointment and reiterating the reasons why buying a pup in this manner is not to be recommended.

Naturally as the pup grows we'll follow it's progress with interest, we'll undoubtedly coo over her photos and commiserate when she is unwell the same as we would for any dog, in fact with her origins being from a puppy farm we might well end up having to do far more of the latter than the former given that many puppies from these puppy supermarkets often have serious and ongoing medical problems - I hope for the pups sake that this isn't the case with Daisy but the reality is that it IS the case for many puppies bred for this kind of shop.

Of course the pup is not to blame for it's origins, and she is a very cute puppy, but Yena also says she bought her "against all she believes" - we like Yena beleive buying puppies from these places supports the puppy farms and it does nothing to further the cause of animal welfare.

Having also adopted an ex puppy farmed girl I agree too - I don't understand how anyone could give any trade to a business which promotes this evil business I'm afraid :(

Daisy is indeed very cute- as are all pups -but I doubt her Mum and Dad are looking very cute any more, if the state of Smudge when we adopted her is anything to go by. Sorry, but if we can't get the message across to members of animal welfare sites , what hope do we have with the general public :shrug: ?

totally agree, appalling, sorry but to me I get the impression that you knew you would be condemned, but also you would get lots of well meaning comments as well that would take away the guilt ie. well she deserved a home, etc etc.

and supadog sensitive is as common as chips,

appaling

Well Yena, from me - I'm truly glad that you have given this pup a lovely home for the rest of her life :)

I am absolutely anti puppy farmers and pet shops selling pups but - and it's a major but - you buying a pup from such an establishment isn't going to make a lot of difference to the puppy farm industry :rolleyes: . If we don't get government legislation, then the puppy farmers will continue and the businesses will continue to thrive. It's a nonsense to condemn you personally, in my opinion, because the pup has found a loving home. :) If I have a concern it will be for you - that the pup isn't sickly or ill and I'm sure you'll get her to a vet really quickly to get her checked out.

She's very beautiful, btw :wub: :wub:

I've always held out the hope that if only people could be educated about petshop puppies and the horrible conditions in the puppy farms that supply them then surely nobody would buy a pup from that background, so it's very disappointing that someone who is completely aware of all the facts has gone ahead and bought a pup anyway knowing they are supporting such a vile industry :mecry:

That said, although I can't imagine myself ever buying a puppy I have done other things where my heart has ruled my head, and I guess it would be hypocritical for me to condemn someone else for that.

What's done is done, she's very beautiful and I hope you have lots of fun and happy times together :wub:

you buying a pup from such an establishment isn't going to make a lot of difference to the puppy farm industry :rolleyes:

It's thousands of individual people thinking their one purchase won't make a difference that allows the industry to continue. It's not about legislation and we in a supposedly civilised society should not be relying on the government to prevent such an easily avoidable cruelty. Like any business puppy farming is about supply and demand. It's only when people stop buying and thinking it won't hurt that puppy farming or any other form of irresponsible animal breeding will stop.

Yeah this pup has a nice home. Her Mum is probably pregnant again already :mecry:

I am absolutely anti puppy farmers and pet shops selling pups but - and it's a major but - you buying a pup from such an establishment isn't going to make a lot of difference to the puppy farm industry :rolleyes: .

I'm sorry but I just had to comment on this. Absolutely right, one person and one purchase won't make much difference but it's exactly the same as the 'if one person just gave £1' scenario. Each person who doesN'T adds to the pot of people who DON'T and when that group adds up and gets bigger, that's when it makes a difference to the industry. Every person does count in the long run.

I'm sorry but I just had to comment on this. Absolutely right, one person and one purchase won't make much difference but it's exactly the same as the 'if one person just gave £1' scenario. Each person who doesN'T adds to the pot of people who DON'T and when that group adds up and gets bigger, that's when it makes a difference to the industry. Every person does count in the long run.

I know - but Yena knows she shouldn't have bought a pup from a pet shop. Try educating all the thousands and thousands of people who don't realise! That's why it's so important to get legislation which stops (1) pet shops being allowed to sell puppies or kittens to the public and (2) to ban the puppy farm trade completely :)

I know - but Yena knows she shouldn't have bought a pup from a pet shop.

But she still did and to be honest, that's what makes this even harder to comprehend :shrug: To know how shockingly awful the lives for puppy farm dogs are, to read the real stories from people who have taken on the dogs deemed commercialy unviable and due to their background they have such serious health problems that they can't lead normal, happy lives.

Yes, I am taking this personally. And this is why:

Poppy - 7 years as a puppy machine - 3 years as a pet dog, one year of that in and out of the vets due to heart failure

Dolly - 6 years as a puppy machine - 1 year as a pet dog, 4 months in and out of the vets due to tumour.

I'm not going to apologise for taking this so personally. This forum promotes animal welfare. What concern has there been for the welfare of the bitch who produced this pup and the other dogs and bitches kept in appalling conditions because there are people who will buy from pet shops.

If our own members aren't educated, what chance to we have of educating anyone else?

I know - but Yena knows she shouldn't have bought a pup from a pet shop. Try educating all the thousands and thousands of people who don't realise! That's why it's so important to get legislation which stops (1) pet shops being allowed to sell puppies or kittens to the public and (2) to ban the puppy farm trade completely :)

It doesn't help educating thousands and thousands if they go ahead and buy one anyway.