UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Oh Sh&^!

Ruthi (borrowadog)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two stairgates, and lots of cheapie vetbeddy stuff from Ikea, LOL!! I may have to rush out and buy one of those puppy pens.

I'm just praying that Seamus doesn't take umbrage when she tells him to leave her pups alone! He's making my life extremely difficult by hating (and its mutual) a new customer dog. Poor dog is newly rescued and a bit nervous around other dogs, so he piles in shouting and swearing. Now they trade insults through the bars in the van!! She's fine with Tiger - he ran away from her the first time, and now they will happily sniff around together with heads touching. Who'd want a dominant lurcher?

Oh well, if they hate one another we'll have to sort something out, but at least Mum and pups will be out and getting proper medical care (and food).

can you keep Seamus away from Mum and the Pups for a while ? I don't know much about puppies and what I do know is based on street dogs at the Temple but I know that both bitches we had in that whelped had their own whelping boxes and even at 4 weeks did not want any of the other dogs coming close to the pups

I am sure someone with more knowledge can expand more ( or correct me if I a wrong )

Good luck and well done for stepping up and helping

Sam

id keep em seperate till they are a bit older at their age they are vulnerable and bitches are prone to maternal aggression borne out of protectiveness.

id also stop walking your own dogs one bug brought in could wipe babies out same goes for loads of visitors especially those with dogs regularly walked where other dogs defecate :flowers:

Yep keep mum and pups well away from the other dogs. Take your shoes off when going into the room they are in so you can't carry outside germs in. Wash your hands before touching the pups. Mum and pups need worming at some stage, before 8 weeks. Panacur is a good one for pups. I'm sure someone in the know will be able to answer which stages.

Best of luck.

Just saw this....the mum will be protective towards her pups, and thats means she may well tell all humans and certainly all dogs to keep well away...PLEASE don't let your other dogs even in sight of them, if you can avoid it. Even normally very good natured bitches can become snappy when they have puppies to care for.

As has already been said, keep a different pair of shoes for going in the room where they are, and wash your hands before and after handling them (if she'll let you of course!) there are proprietry puppy whelping feeds, but I found Farleys rusks, crushed up with warm water till they are a sloppy mess, or good old Weetabix both went down well. Best of luck! :GroupHug:

good advice. Bitches usually hate other dogs anywhere near their pups so do be prepared for aggressive displays from the mum. The best way to wean the pups is to buy a good quality puppy food and add boiling water to it until it goes like a porrige. Put a little cool feed in the palm of your cupped hand and put the pups nose onto it. The pup will suck it to start with so it needs to be well mashed down. As they get older you add less water and leave the lumps bigger and harder.Once they start feeding you just put it in a shallow dish and stand well back as they walk in it,fall into it and get it everywhere!! Weaning pups is messy but great fun. At 3 weeks old you can use goats milk instead of puppy milk, they will still need milk for a couple of weeks but by 5 weeks should be fully weaned but still need to stay with mum.Mum will gradually need more time away from the pups and dont have her in the room while you are feeding the pups or you will find that mum will eat all the food.x

I have no advice what so ever to offer but wanted to say well done for agreeing to take and try and help mum and puppies. Im sure the wealth of experience around the refuge will help you no end. if all else fails, i know a lot about alcahol consumption and will happily advise on that if it all gets too much :laugh:

They are here! Mum is 6 and a half, pups are FOUR weeks old and fat and happy. Mum is skinny and nervy, but coping. She's been a good mum, and has drained herself totally. She is very sweet and VERY hungry.

Unfortunately I can't keep them out of sight, but I have a baby gate up. She's woofing at the boys, but is calming down already. Seamus is woried!

Pics to follow - pups are black!

Ruth