UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dharma Hurt - Ocd?

KathyM

Well, she's still quite slow today (lol in the physical sense, as the mental sense is nothing new symptom-wise haha). However, after her painkillers this morning she had a full stretch into a playbow which is a first since she became ill. She also seems to be holding her head higher today.

Baz is going into town to get her (quite sensibly) a boot. That way we don't have to worry about her cutting herself on things that she can't feel when she's in the garden or what have you. If this turns out to be a permanent necessity, I've found a website that makes boots specifically for her problem (they're double soled - top and bottom for dogs that drag their feet).

Anyway, all in all today is looking positive, certainly much more so than yesterday. I still haven't got my dressing gown back, that's draped over her as we speak (and smells). :rolleyes:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So glad to hear all is going well and she seems to be getting some feeling back.

Just watch that if she isn't sore she doesn't do too much and aggravate whatever it is.

When my bitch had disc problems, my vet explained that it was a fine balance between reducing the pain, without making the dog too active.

That looks a lot more promising Kathy :)

I've had the boots you're getting, they are really good and stay on well, the only thing I'd say against them is that you have to wash them if they get dirty with mud or else they go hard, and it takes ages for them to dry. I ended up using these boots neo-paws, I think you can get them from Canine Concepts too, and now I use these pawz, they are a lot tougher than they look, and a pack of twelve lasts Daisy months, she has one on every time she goes out as she drags one paw, and they are a lot easier to put on than any of the others.

Thanks all of you! blackmagic - my biggest concern is that they weren't wrong is saying she can't ever go back to her normal exercise. I'm hoping they were exaggerating as it would be no life for Dharma if she had to live it restricted - short term fine if it's to get her back to 100%, long term no way.

celeste - thanks ever so much, I'll look at them for if this continues - they look really good. Baz hasn't managed to find any in the pet shops or at Jollye's, so I'm also looking online now for some cheapy ones for short term until we have a better idea of how long term this problem will be. :flowers:

Thanks all of you! blackmagic - my biggest concern is that they weren't wrong is saying she can't ever go back to her normal exercise. I'm hoping they were exaggerating as it would be no life for Dharma if she had to live it restricted - short term fine if it's to get her back to 100%, long term no way.

No,sorry Kathy, not permanently. The restricted exercise was only until she had recovered. That took about six weeks of total rest. After that she was back to normal.

She had eight episodes over the years. Her spine eventually fused, where the discs had disintegrated, and she ended up walking like a wooden dog. Her back didn't flex at all.

As she was a dalmatian we used to say she was like the spotty dog in the children's programme The Woodentops.

Thanks both of you :flowers: blackmagic - she sounds like she was a very special girl. :wub:

Dharma is still slow tonight, hasn't been up much. I suppose they did say she had to rest, so that's good, but I can't help feeling that if she was feeling better she'd be attempting to leap about again. S'pose only time will tell! :unsure:

Kathy I am so sorry, Sully was quite poorly yesterday and I was so wrapped up in that yesterday, I forgot to check in. I am so disgusted at the way she was treated, I can't even begin to write it here. Please do complain about the vets so that maybe no other dog will be treated that way :mecry:

Can I ask where you have found the double soled boots? We've been using ruff wear ones from canine concepts and they are good, but he tears them up really quickly from dragging his feet.

Oh no, hope Sully's ok? :GroupHug:

Yeah, this is where I saw the boots - no idea how good they are, but they are quite expensive (works out about £40-odd a pair). http://www.dogbootsactive.com/dogpag/dragpaw.htm

I've been thinking about other things that will have to change. Normally she's walked on a harness, or harness and head halter, now she can't have either. I don't want her walking on a collar alone (she pulls like a horse which will be bad for her and me) either though so I'm wondering what to use (maybe we could fix some sort of push handle to her back end lmao). I know she's not even at the point of being allowed a walk yet, so maybe I'm just being daft. Just the Walkezee made her scream the other day (first use too, so that was a waste lol), I can't see the Canac one being much different, and the head halters will be dangerous for her if she has a neck issue now. :unsure:

i haven't caught up with this for a few days , i am absolutely disgusted at the way you and dharma have been treated and i am so glad that you are going to the pdsa, hopefully you will get someone who cares about animals. my vet is incrediably popular and it is not uncommon for him to be the only one left there at 7.30 and later, if ever they have an emergency and my dog/ cat is booked in for an op or xrays they still get the treatment they were booked in for even if it means we have to collect them later on and if ever they were in the situation where they couldn't carry out what was requested i am very sure they would either call me to come and give painkillers or give them and bill me. i think you should put your complaint in writing as it sounds to me that this may be a regular occurance and the way he treats his clients is absolutely appalling. you and baz are much better people than me, i am afraid i would have throttled him by now :unsure:

if you have a look on canine concepts at the pawz boots that jane (celeste) put a link for, if dharma size comes up as a large i will send you half a dozen up to try before you buy a whole box of them (she will probably come up as a xxl but if she is large just pm your address and i will pop them in the post). there are some boots on canine spirit that the search and rescue dogs use and they are quite good although very expensive.

I know you're not ready to walk her just yet, and I'm not sure how the harnesses we use compare to what you've tried, but just in case it's suitable, we use the Mekuti ones, which go like this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_EekQZrqwxyo/STRi...e-Moo+041ii.jpg

Just thought I'd mention them in case they're any use. I think they can be returned (unused/clean) within 30 days for a refund if they're not suitable and Rachael, who runs the company, is very nice and helpful.

Just catching up. To say that I am horrified by the way that Dharma has been treated, or more to the point NOT treated, would be an understatement. :angry: You are a better person than me, I would have decked the lot of them and claimed self defence on Dharma's behalf!!!!

Glad that you have contacted the PDSA and hope that they can get Dharma in quickly. Sending loads of positive thoughts for Dharma :wub: :wub: and lots of :GroupHug: for you and Baz.