UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Leaving Dogs Alone When Muzzled

cycas

I am being irritated by a post elsewhere from someone whose greyhound is eating the furniture. Other people have leapt in and without pausing to ask if the poor beast is getting sufficient exercise, how old it is, whether has access to chew toys, or is being left for insanely long periods, are recommending muzzling.

Would you leave a dog (even a greyhound) routinely muzzled when unsupervised? It just seems all arse about tip to me. I mean, I suuppose you might end up doing it if you'd tried everything else, but as a first step...? Am I wrong?

I know greyhounds are used to muzzles, but that doesn't mean they enjoy wearing them. (This is not to say I am anti-muzzle in general. Both of my dogs have one each, and Az does need his if there might be deer about, little monster that he is, but I wouldn't want to leave them on if I wasn't around to keep an eye on them).

Would also be interested in hearing from non-sighthound owners on this one, if there is anyone with a non-sighthound that would consider this approach or not, and why.... I think some of these greyhound people sometimes tend to look at a greyhound and forget that what it actually is is a dog. :jealous:

Edited by cycas

Nope, wouldn't leave a dog unattended and muzzled. I'd far prefer to resort to crating (as you say, if everything has turned a blank) than muzzling.

I agree - I personally would not consider it safe to leave a dog unattended with a muzzle on at any time or for any reason, and certainly not to protect my worldly goods. Training, additional excercise, removal of furniture/dog from relevant area, addition of chew toys, crating, and an outdoor insulated/heated kennel and run are all things I would consider (and are all things I use or have used myself) long before a muzzle (which I have also used to deal with other problems), and, in fact, if it came to a point where I was unable to find/offer a solution to the problem myself, I would consider rehoming before muzzling, because I would not consider myself capable of giving that dog the home environment and life that it needs.

I have a Greyhound as well as several others and I would never leave a dog with a muzzle on for various reasons.

Anything can happen if a dog is left unsupervised with a muzzle on and the damage caused could be much worse than damaging the furniture.

The dog is doing this for a reason, the only real way to stop it is to find the reason and deal with the cause. Merlin used to go through a duvet a week when he first came, he would have gone through more if I hadn't refused to replace them more than once a week. This was when my husband was in the house as well. With Merlin it s SA, and this other Greyhound could be the same. By not being able to let his feelings out and them not being tackled, he will be even more stressed.

This is what I would come home to, I had put into his basket as much as I could. :wub:

Merlinandthemess.jpg

Personally, muzzling to stop chewing when leaving a dog is not something I'd consider. When Dolly went through her phase of eating everything she shouldn't, the idea of muzzling her never crossed my mind. I already had a Baskerville muzzle for Bumpy, so it wasn't like I didn't have one handy, but eventually I solved the SA problem by giving Dolly stuffed Kongs when she was left.

Would you leave a dog (even a greyhound) routinely muzzled when unsupervised? It just seems all arse about tip to me. I mean, I suuppose you might end up doing it if you'd tried everything else, but as a first step...? Am I wrong?

No, I wouldn't and I don't think you're wrong - and I don't have sighthounds. There are lots of things they could try and lots of questions to be asked, like the ones you've mentioned.

Are they leaving the dog too long to crate (I know some people crate all day but I'd not want to do this).

Without knowing more about the situation, I'm slightly annoyed that anyone would make such a rash suggestion as muzzling a dog for that reason. Has anyone thought of consulting with a vet or behaviourist or is that too radical? :huh: Could it be one of those situations where one person responds to something on a thread and others just agree without giving it any thought? Either way, it's a bad idea to only address the symptoms and not the cause.

Muzzling the poor dog won't stop the urge to eat the furniture however it will intensify the stress which will then manifest itself in other ways. Then they'll have more symptoms to deal with.

Go tell them Victoria! :flowers:

Years ago I had a GSD pupthat chewed everything, even went through the cross member on a borrowed pine table , he also had a total fascination with electric thuings, even moving a chest freezer and chewing the cooling fins off the back !!!

Never ever considered a muzzle, we built wood surrounds for fridge/new freezer/ cooker etc, made sure everything was put in high cupboards when we went out & confrined him to the kitchen.

He eventually grew out of it

Edited by Ingrid

Twenty odd years ago my friend used a muzzle on her collie cross as she chewed everything in sight when left alone, she even chewed a whole in the mattress :rolleyes: , that poor dog was so distressed at this treatment that it made her even worse :( , she eventually worked out how to get the muzzle off and then she really went to town on the soft furnishings, she was eventually rehomed...........so basicly.....don't do it, it might just make things worse.

Edited by celeste