UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Leaving Dogs Alone When Muzzled

cycas

I should have mentioned that the three people so far who have recommended this approach are not just recommending it. They are doing it with their own dogs every day.

Two of them have mentioned that as well as a muzzle, they also use a 'poop guard' to stop the dogs from mashing their faces into each other's faeces. So presumably not only are the poor beasts muzzled, they are also have problems with house training. One of the posters is, I think, a regular fosterer for an american greyhound rescue, so perhaps some are fosters not quite sure about things yet, but even so. :worried_anim:

I've made my point and someone else has backed me up. At least a contrary view has been presented.

Not all greyhounds like muzzles even if used to them - Nog doesn't he HATES his with a passion and would go mental trying to rip it off if I wasn't around to distract him, he'd end up hurting himself. I've always had muzzles for my pointies, Olaf was completely the opposite when he saw the lightweight one come out he'd go berserk with excitement because it invariably meant he was going somewhere where he was going to be able to run his heart out I didn't dare even pick it up to move it somewhere because he'd be boinging up and down shouting for it to be put on. Nog is the exact opposite and tries to hide - I am certain that he has some very scary memories associated with muzzles so we avoid putting one on him unless we absolutely have to and then we have to use distraction techniques the entire time he has it on. I've tried every desensitising technique I can think of with Nog and count myself lucky we have gotten as far as we have with him tolerating wearing it when it's absolutely necessary, if you muzzle a dog almost permenantly you are going to end up with a dog that has negative associations with a muzzle and are going to end up with more problems long term.

I was told to keep my 2 greys muzzled overnight when I first got them. Did I follow this advice? Sadly yes. :( :mecry: Didn't know any better and they were the people that rehomed greys. I thought that they knew best.

Would I do it now? Nooooooooooo way. I would find a kinder way.

This is the weird thing - I think they do. They think they are so precious that they must be muzzled in case they eat something inappropriate, walked only on a short lead, perhaps with a run in a fenced dog park once a week, in case they run away or fall over something. They wouldn't send their hounds to daycare, in case they got nipped by some non-sighthound. They are so precious they treat them like they are made of china or something.

Almost worse than the muzzling: you can guarantee that if someone has a housetraining problem with a male dog, someone will start recommending bellybands rather than suggesting, say, a dogwalker and chance to pee during the day...

These are actually the same people who tend to imply that I am a terrible careless owner because my sighthounds get off lead time every day*. I think it's probably a symptom of the same thing: at least some of these poor dogs must surely be bored stiff and want to chew and play and run, but they don't get enough playtime outside, so they want to play with the furniture...

* actually that's not quite right - they will forgive me for letting Az off lead, because he's a crossbreed. Forget that he's the nervous one with the chase instinct. What they really don't like is me letting Mollydog offlead, because she is a proper greyhound and an ex-racer, and Ex-Racers Are Different. They need to be trussed up at all times regardless of temperament, apparently. :arrowhead:

what fecking idiots!!!!!!!!! they are going to hurt or even kill their dogs without realising it!

If there sick they are screwed not to mention the physco problems.......

king was muzzled on walks as he had a 'love' for cyclists........i am not against supervised muzzling....infact it shows you are responsible!

but when your not there!!!!!!! thats awful.....i do hope that they dont listen to these idiots!

can we all join the forum pls!!!!! hahaha the thoughts of greyhounds being made of china!!!!

they were the only dogs i would not stay in the free run field at work with as they charge round more like a bull in chine shop than dainty china themselves!!!!!!

*whats a belly band

*whats a belly band

Am guessing it's a band that goes around the dog's belly and over his willy to stop him being able to pee comfortably?

That does sound as bad as muzzling :(

Dogs are all individuals for goodness sake, I'm sure you wouldn't let Mollydog run free if it was not responsible to do so. I know of a lovely lab but her recall is non-existant. I'd not let her off if she were mine until I'd got her under control. My Sno's recall is generally excellent but I know he'll be reluctant if he's freaked out about something, so sometimes he will go on lead until I am sure he'll be ok off.

Merlin shuts down if I put a muzzle on him and he is an ex racer who came with a muzzle on, he won't run off lead either but will stick to me like glue, same with a long line. He is happy on an extending lead because he can feel that I am at the other end. Strange dog :wub: