UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

"irish Rescue Dogs Flooding The Uk"

EGAR

It's something I've always wondered too, could it be down to the Catholic church not recognising that animals have souls ? :unsure: well that used to be their stance, things might have moved on a bit.

Probably more to do with it's being a predominantly rural country with the attitudes that often go with that way of life.

Pam

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably more to do with it's being a predominantly rural country with the attitudes that often go with that way of life.

Pam

No, Pam, actually Pound figures suggest the opposite. People in an urban area are faster to surrender/abandon their dogs than in rural areas.

No, Pam, actually Pound figures suggest the opposite. People in an urban area are faster to surrender/abandon their dogs than in rural areas.

But the urbanisation of Ireland is a pretty recent phenomenon. It can take a generation or more to change attitudes.

And I'm not so sure how relevant pound figures are. What about the rural dogs that never make it to the pound? (Not just and Irish problem - it happens here in England too.)

Pam

Opps -having two irish, one spanish, one english rescues (not to mention a welsh re-homing :rolleyes: ) - I've answered threads like this so many times.

My dogs needed a home, they fitted in with our lifestyle, they get on with each other and can live with cats that's what is important to me. :)

We transport dogs nearly every weekend because they often stand a better chance of a home elsewhere in the country rather than where they are found.

It is actually more urban areas where artrocities re the *getting rid of dogs* occured, i.e. drowning, shooting, hanging, burning etc.. :(

The likes of Limerick, Dublin, Galway etc have always been Cities and this is where the hot spots are IMHO.

I've heard people say this a few times now, but you could apply the same logic to different areas of the UK :wacko: :wacko: so where does it end?

Precisely.

Why is it okay to rehome a Welsh dog to England but not okay to rehome an Irish dog to England.

or rehome a dog from London to the north west of England, if there are lots dogs already looking for homes in the north west.

Is it different because there is an expanse of water between us and Ireland?

A dog needing a home is a dog needing a home.

I have an Irish rescue who was handed in to the pound, with his mum and brother, when he was four weeks old. Mum was pts before the rescue arrived to get them out. I am so glad my pup was saved. ,

Precisely.

Is it different because there is an expanse of water between us and Ireland?

I think it must be, they seem to be completly oblivious to the fact (Northern) Ireland is still part of the UK.

With regards my church theory, wouldn't it take a good while for attitudes to change ? even though the pope ( and good on him) has said they do have souls, I would imagine it will take a few generations for it to have an effect, the cruelty against animals in Spanish fiestas still goes on after all :(

i have driven working breeds to the midlands-where they stood a better chance of a new home

i have driven small "pet" dogs south where they stood a better chance of a home.

just because thee is a small strip of water between england & ireland makes no odds-its the same principal of moving dogs-any dogs-to the most likely position to get a home for life.

fee

I have two Irish dogs. Neither were 'cute puppies' when I adopted them, nor pedigree and funnily enough they have no behaviour or medical problems. I would have adopted my two regardless of where they came from originally. In an ideal world there would be a rescue place for every dog regardless of where they originate. But until this happens if rescues are prepared to save dogs from Ireland Spain or wherever then good on them. :)

(My local rescue saves dogs from Romania.)

This article seems to assume that a home is a home is a home. Surely there are very few homes that want a dog - any dog- regardless of age, breed, health, temperament and other factors: I don't see how it helps any dog if a home has a clear idea of what it wants but can't find it, so waits 10 months for the right dog to turn up, when several of the 'right dog' are euthanased because they happen to be in the wrong place...

Plus, why on earth is it logical to object to dogs moving from, say, Dublin to Salisbury, and not dogs moving from Yorkshire to Salisbury? Why is it better for Irish dogs to be euthanased rather than British ones? Not to mention that the Irish greyhound industry breeds to feed the UK tracks anyway so cannot really be separated from them economically.

I understand the argument that the Irish should be adopting more and breeding less. But I don't see rescues as to blame for this: they are just clearing up the mess.

Well said Victoria :flowers:

I don't have an Irish dog but I do have one from Wales who came to an English rescue and I also adopted Sweetie from a rescue in the north west.

Once a dog makes it into rescue they should be given the very best chance to find a home and sometimes that means they are moved to a different region.

I've seen others say in the past that dogs shouldn't be kept in rescue past a certain length of time as they're taking spaces away from dogs that would be more easily homed. One of mine wouldn't be sat here now if everyone felt that way, he spent around two years in rescue I gather before coming to me.

I'm in London, one of mine came from EGLR, one from GG and one was a local Battersea dog. Where would people like to draw the line, how many miles is too far from home to adopt. Its all very silly, a dog with no home who gets a new home is one less dog needing a home! Even their pets passports don't include their nationality, my Battersea dog had a passport issued in France, does that make him a French dog? :wink:

ok dont shoot me down and please read all of what i say first.

Having worked in a north west rescue who took dogs from ireland......mainly poopies and young thing (collie crosses normally)

It was hard when you were working on kennels and doing homechecks to see them coming in, as trying to home collie cross pups in urban areas sinks your heart......

also when a stray comes in and you have to take it to the pound where you know it will prob be pts because that spare kennel you had is now filled with dogs form out side your area.......also when working on reception and listening to people crying down the phone as they need urgent help with dog and you cant help ciz they took 15 dogs from ireland.......you can build up this lack of understanding!!!!!

Thi said there are far more strays in ireland than we could imagine in uk........hopefully with the DT now building in ireland then they can start to build more links (not saying there are not any already) but sadly often its the BIG companies with there money and influences that can start to change things!

I hope this makes sense and not defending the article but just a bit of understanding to the person who can stand with it......as i struggled of it when had to take an old lad to pound to his death basically