UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Texas's Great Big Adventure

ceemage

Teddy Texas is about to start seeking a sitter for some time in the new year. D(aftl)ad has to go on a training course to learn how to hoover up dead people that have got a bit messy and will be away from home for three days.

Chatsworth Country fair is now only a month away and we are building doggy doors for the caravan and wondering how he will get on when he hears the guns shooting.

At least he will get some good walks in splendid setting . If they allow entrants on long leads he can go in the terrier racing. He is getting a new harness .

• 3 weeks later...

Well we seem to be getting somewhere with the itchy scratchy thing. Thanks to a seminar .

Well we are still tripping over the industrial vacuum cleaner and the extraction cleaning machine, we have the Uv dust mite vac and lamp, we havent got a steam cleaner at the moment as the last one was sent back and the new one hasnt arrived. Oh and then ether is the fogging machine! The plastic ranout before we could get an ozone blaster.

Nothing else could live in this house---basically because there is no space.

So its not the minge cause by those mites and its not allergy caused by dust mites, its not fleas because we have been all through that.

Teddy Texas is still constantly worrying his legs and such. A thorough inspection has shown up a host of small lumps. This after I had spent a week rubbing niveab into a huge crusty lump at the base of his tail--until it came off in my hand and proved to be a desiccated masticated lump of rawhide chewwie.

Now we had a clue because something is also having a bit of a nibble at Dad, leaving very similar little lumps.

The investigation is currently leading to the suspicion of bed bugs. Evidently there is currently an epodemic of them , although they almost died out in the 80s , and the blame is with Mr easy Jet and Mr Ryan air making cheaper flights available to not very clean people.

Here in Birmingham they mainly live on the buses and are proving difficult to shift economically, because evry day they come back and its cheaper to scrap the bus than treat it on a daily basis. But most people here just love to live in their own S*** so they are not bothered about bugs on the buses.

The secret is not to sit on the seats and to have a special set of clothes for using public transport that you take off in the hall when you get home.

So there is some very special stuff winging its way to us in the post. Fingers crossed

The investigation is currently leading to the suspicion of bed bugs. Evidently there is currently an epodemic of them , although they almost died out in the 80s , and the blame is with Mr easy Jet and Mr Ryan air making cheaper flights available to not very clean people.

Here in Birmingham they mainly live on the buses and are proving difficult to shift economically, because evry day they come back and its cheaper to scrap the bus than treat it on a daily basis. But most people here just love to live in their own S*** so they are not bothered about bugs on the buses.

The secret is not to sit on the seats and to have a special set of clothes for using public transport that you take off in the hall when you get home.

So there is some very special stuff winging its way to us in the post. Fingers crossed

Good luck with getting rid of the bugs.

Thanks. A rep has just put me onto a fogging solution that is supposed to be the latest thing, so hope to get a free sample ( rather than buy it by the gallon) I also had a suggestion to put a bag of lavender under the bed ( thought that was for spiders?) and or to become vegetarian again and stop eating red meat. TT not so keen on that one.

• 5 weeks later...

Teddy Texas goes to the Fair.

And is an all round star (tart)10218_1209236505024_1052062064_630768_7527347_n.jpgSpent a lot of the time peering over baskets and molesting anyone for an earrub and belly tickle.

Was completely bemused by the goings on, saw lots of new dogs especially a nice chap named george.

10218_1209236585026_1052062064_630769_493319_n.jpgdid a lot of looning about with the daft lad, took part in the celebrity poo competion, had lots of treats.10218_1209236625027_1052062064_630770_1383537_n.jpgGot fed up posing for photos

10218_1209236705029_1052062064_630772_8326383_n.jpgGot very muddy paws

Had his own stall but gotfed up crept inside for a sleep10218_1209251465398_1052062064_630846_7226882_n.jpg

Took immediate and complete control of his new kennel as soon as he saw it.10218_1209255505499_1052062064_630855_756034_a.jpg

Especially when Mum decided that she would cover the floor with thick fluffy dog beds ( They were so cheap in the next aisle)like the one he has at home.

He didnt mind sharing with all of the humans especially as they cooked his very farourite sausages.

TT forgot he was a wuss and took evrything in his stride---hot air ballons, airpane acrobatics , people shooting , marching bands, the fun fair next door, and various soaking wet humans shouting at one another...... but he was a bit naughty wil his leead wrapping it around the posts and with some baskets , but he claims it wasnt a good place for them to be anyway.

oh and he can go again.

• 1 month later...

Well, I should really be composing my thoughts so I can put up a First Gotcha Day proclamation that is due in a little while.

Like most else in his life something has happened.

Quite recently we have discovered a vast amount of information about his history. He has been masquerading as a Geordie Stafft Cross. Now it seems, no is definitely not any kind of Bull breed, and may not even be British.

We are in the middle of this, so will write an update on it all for his gotcha day. More info comes though the network now we have got the ball rolling.

Everything is bothe explained and much turned on its head. we have got so much wrong in his health and behaviour issue, but are now on the right road, thankfully.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I have been under the weather with chest problems so have not done as promised.

Teddy Texas came to us as a Staffy Cross---- trouble was he never really behaved lik eon at times and had some strange quirks.

Afetr a suggestion from someone we met at a show, we investigated and found an article that was quite amazing---it could only have been written by someone with very personal knowledge of our lovely TT,........!

Evidently Teddy Texas is a Feist or American Rat Terrier... and may even have been imported from .......Texas., for dubious purposes. We have even found the origins of his breed line and the kennels that he or at least on of his parents may have come from. ( and had invitataions to visit but i haven't told them he has lost his bit)

Its not a breed that is instantly recognised over here. But I checked further and found out more.

A lot of his strange quirks and habits are now explained --even his need to sleep under the bed covers. It would seem that he has special requirements 111111 bloomi9ng typical.

This dog has a history of hunting. His reaction to firework is not som much fears as " small things are being hunted i should be there chasing them ) He has been bred for all of the things I hold awful ,,, but nevr mind , at least I know how to look after him better and can understand why we have to keepfinding dead rats in th epark and have to track a squirrel for miles, anmd why he like to eat rabbit ( he was probably self catering) I have managed to stop hime going in to the bookies.

Hi strangemnes has a good effect on my life in that its now cleaner. Tis breed really suffer with bad skin reactions and allergies-- so I have had to bring the house up to a very high and , previously unseen standard of hygiene---- this has mean two things -- I am now in possession all kinds of exotic cleaning machinery and am breathing a lot better myself despite my poor chest ( asbestos plaques). Also I have had to start a small business with the machines to pay for them.

Teddy Texas 's needs for a specific exercise routine have become a bit clearer, but i am not going to start lamping with him at night . Our first experiment with scent trailing went a bit adrift. He found the scent straight away, tracked it really quickly but then picked up the lure dropped it in the river and set off home.

Its going to be a hard slog.

Wow. That is an interesting discovery.

It does make life easier when you know what you are dealing with and why.

It sounds like Teddy Texas landed on his paws in the end.

Thanks. I certainly feel a lot more content now I know so much more about this quirks. The main things are his nipping fingers when hands are pushed his way and his "compulsions" like the chuntering and his absolute hatred of water. Now I know that they are not a result of the way I have been looking after him its quite a relief, to a degree. To be told that " they dont like to go out for a tiddle in the rain, you have to put their coat on and take them on a lead " is useful, I suppose, at least in helping to end indoor accidents.

Mind you I cant help thinking that this breed has happened because of a genetic trait to that allows them to take advantage of any human weakness that they spot.

ooooooooo never heard of that breed, will have to google! whatever teddy is he is lovely and hit the jackpot with his new family :biggrin: i would love to know what my dog is crossed with but he is just one of lifes mysteries, i guess knowing breed traits can make things easier to understand :)