UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Sleep Tight Sky

LisaLQ

Eeeh heck, this is breaking my heart but it has to be done.

Sky joined us in May 2001. We'd lost Buffy a year earlier, and I'd sworn never to have another dog as long as I lived - evidently I dont cope well with grief.

Mick went to Tia Greyhound and Lurcher Rescue with a friend, to have a look - for them - for a dog, and came back looking rather sheepish. Looking at his feet quite a bit, he explained how he'd fallen in love with a little blue and white girl called "Geri" (after Geri Halliwell), and she'd followed him round while they looked at the other dogs and she'd taken quite a shine to him. He said, in a very quiet voice (with no direct eye contact!) that he'd reserved her, and she'd be joining us in a fortnight.

Well...needless to say I wasn't best chuffed, but I knew he was hurting over Buffy too and wanted him to be happy - so I came round to the idea, even got a little excited (dont tell him I said that though). She did join us two weeks later, and that's when I fell in love. The name did not stick, Mick has a brother called Gerry, so we had to think of a new one - and being the most unimaginative people on the planet (what's blue and white? the sky!) - she became Sky.

She was found on an allotment in West Yorkshire, tied up, couple of scars on her legs, an old break that had healed in one, and pregnant. Who could do that to a dog I dont know, there's no excuse with any dog - but this little loving lady - who knew her commands, was clean in the house - and apart from having a love (ahem) of cats/small furries, she was the ideal pooch.

Now - we've been through a lot together - I wont go into it all, but without sounding incredibly cliche - she was one of the family, part of the fittings, meant to be. Not just like when people say "oh yeah our dog is one of the family" - she actually was. She moved house with us twice, she looked after me while I was ill, she went through me having the triplets (and them growing up into the noisy 5 year olds they are now). She inspired me to start the Groovy Greys site in November 2001, she mended my heart after the loss of Buffy, and then some.

I'm not saying she was perfect. She had her moments (ha - to say the least!). But she wouldn't have been her without them.

I loved her so much. We all loved her so much. We still do (past tense seems wrong/too final at the moment). Life is empty without her, my heart is broken and I dont know if I can fix it.

Love you, you daft old decrepid cranky old b*tch.

Sky in the early days:

lurcherqueen.jpg

Too much Chrimbo tipple

skypished1.jpg

Degraded

Skydolph.jpg

Beautiful

1906sky1.jpg

SkyJune2007a.jpg

Naughty

skytable1.jpg

This summer before she got ill

120508sky3.jpg

120508sky1.jpg

The day she passed away...

Eating a chew - so hard to see her so ravenous and never getting full up

220908sky4.jpg

Who knew eating was such hard work?

220908sky3.jpg

Her poor swollen belly

220908sky2.jpg

So tired :cry:

220908sky1.jpg

220908sky.jpg

RIP Sky - love you forever, we'll meet again.

What a beautiful tale of Sky and your love :wub: :wub:

Remember she is always with you, just when you need her most, you will feel her nose nudging and that paw pawing. They never leave us, they stay with us forever, until it is our time to go and than they are there waiting :)