UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Would Your Dog Give The Alarm

cycas

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spike wouldn't, he probably wouldn't even wake up! :wub: Cherry might, but not intentionally as she would only be wooo woooo woooowing for a welcome :rolleyes:

I remembber once, a scrapman came to collect my old cooker which was in the garden at the side of the house. I walked ahead through the side gate and forgot that I had left the back door open. Cherry came running to greet us woo woooing with her bottom wiggling almost on the floor. I turned round to see that I was talking to myself. The big burly scrapman had run back behind the gate because he was scared of her. What he didn't see was Cherry turn and run away herself! She was more scared than him :unsure: I never tell any unknown visitors that the dogs are friendly, though Spike does spoil the tough dog image when he brings them all his soft toys! :rolleyes: :wub:

Hell yes!! :laugh:

Kenza has to shout at top woof at everyone until I tell her they're ok and then she will woof till they fuss her :laugh: OB will continue to shout until I tell him to go and lie down, which obviously means 'go up and hide on my bed you god forsaken woosey lump and come down when you feel a bit braver' :rolleyes:

Tilli joins Kenza in the yelling and then the Me, Me, Me competition :glare:

They all bark at a gnat farting out the front of the house :wacko: Kenza does the Growl, wuff, growl when she hears something suspicious at night which always makes us go check.

Years ago, I was on my own with 2 young children and my bcx Skipper suddenly started barking around 2 am. I got up and he was throwing himself at the back door trying to get out and going absolutely crazy. I telephoned my father who lived at the house joining my garden at the back and he came round. When he arrived he noticed that the gate to the drive was open and the dustbins had been put near the wall as if someone had climbed over. He climbed over the wall just in time to see someone running away down the drive of his house. Obviously they had heard the dog barking and made their escape. Thank goodness I had a dog.

My present dogs Im sure would raise the alarm if anyone attempted to get in. They

bark if anyone walks past late at night and are very protective of me. When people walk up to the door they bark and wont be quiet until they are sure they arent a threat.

Not sure what they would do if someone actually got into the house but think Skye would definately defend his territory, Max would probably lick them to death and Wisp and Flynn would probably do whatever Skye did. They make me feel safe as anyone hearing the amount of barking they do would have to be mad to actually break in.

We have an elderly lady living next door and she has commented that the dogs make her feel safer as she would know if anyone was in either of our gardens

My dad has always said he would pity anyone who tried to break in here as he doesnt know who is more dangerous between me and the rotties :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:

Duke is 'supposed' to be tough and hard as nails, but my oh had took him to a local park for a quick stroll round- it was pitch black when they got there. They both got out the van and then my oh heard a strange noise in the bushes, he turned to make sure his 'protector' was close at hand and couldn't see him- on further investigation he found Duke curled up, hiding in the foot well of the pasenger seat shaking and he wouldn't get out again :laugh:

He's the kind of dog who will bark from behind you- and then let you take the flak on your own :biggrin:

:rolleyes: :laugh:

My two always bark like mad if they hear something outside or at the door. I'm confident that if someone broke in they wouldnt leave I would know about it. Saffy lab sounds like a huge dog when she barks and with Neo joining in the whole estate would know about it. And if they were unfortunate enough to be anywhere near the dogs, Neo would definately have 'an early breakfast' :rolleyes: I have to say it would be a pretty stupid person that would break in here as I dont live in the best of areas but everyone knows I'm the one with a psycho collie and a big labrador who barks very loudly. They dont know she would lick you to death, though she might seriously injure you in the process of jumping all over you to nibble your ears! :laugh:

Edited by safneo

Charlie barks and sounds like a huge Mastiff when anyone walks up the driveway. Although when the door is opened, he would lick them to death! However, he's never met anyone sinister at the door so you never really know how your dog would react if a burglar broke in during the night. I like to think he would bark the place down and hold them in a corner until the police came......................but being a Lab I won't hold my breath!!! :laugh:

Meggy is the self-appointed spokesperson for the household here. I doubt any of the others would even get up to investigate a burglar, but Meg would give a loud and joyous welcome to anyone coming in.

I suppose at least it means nobody would sneak in unnoticed if we were here, but if we were out I don't think a small barking dog with a frantically waving tail and a tendency to dive onto her back for tummy rubs would put many burglars off.

I remember years ago when I had my two old greyhounds a meter reader man was completely freaked out by them. The dogs were lying motionless in a corner on their backs with their legs sticking up in the air (as they do). He looked at them, did a double-take and asked in a very shaky voice if they were dead :ohmy: I think he thought he was in some sort of weird Bates Motel that kept dead dogs stacked in the corners, he was so relieved when one of them twitched :laugh:

My dogs were in the situation where someone came into their house earlier this year. Prior to that I'd always suspected that Ben would defend the house if need be and everyone who knows him well is convinced that he'd defend me if the need ever arose. With the incident in the house, both dogs were outside at the time, so they could only hear all the screaming. It has had a big effect on both of them and they're become very good guard dogs since then.

On the subject of meter men, I had one who I had to do the meter readings for whilst he stood on the doorstep in tears because he was terrified of dogs. I was dying to laugh when he asked me how to find a few other houses in the village. I hadn't the heart to tell him that one was home to a Border Collie and Jack Russell, another had a big daft lump of Labrador and the final house he needed to go to was home to a big Bull Terrier cross. If he had such a fear of dogs he really was in the wrong job.

I bought this house because the lounge is in the middle and I can shut the dogs away from the front of the house which facing into the village, otherwise I'd be alerted to 'danger' at least 100 times a day!!! :laugh: :angry: No one can walk past my house if the dogs are in the front of it without woofs and grrrrrs!!! :rolleyes:

If they are in the van and someone pulls up behind me at lights, Tiz tells them to back off!! :rolleyes:

Tiz would absolutely floor anyone that she didn't know if they entered without me there and I'm pretty sure Cromwell would revert to old and attack if I wasn't around to stop him. He once bit the postman because I wasn't home and my dad was round fixing something and answered the door without containing Cromwell (he knew he should but forgot!!! :glare: ). I'm pretty sure Sidney would boing and try and get them to play and Cooper would wobble and squeek!!! :laugh:

Edited by JACKYSIAN

I think if somebody untoward were here Henry would bark continuously and this in turn makes Ella more concerned than usual and I've no doubt she would actually bite somebody. Lizzie would get very excited and would be thrilled to bits to receive visitors :rolleyes:

Henry barks to let us know if somebody is outside, the others don't bother.

Dylan wouldn't even wake up! :laugh: Rosie would bark though.

Many years ago, one of our dobes was in the kitchen. My son who was coming near our house thought he'd drop in for a cuppa. I was out, but the kitchen window was open at the top, so he climbed in. Our big brave girl was so scared she peed all over the kitchen floor. :rolleyes:

Yes, and then some :laugh:

hahaha

Cliffy mini daxi goes mental if anyone dare so much as

stops outside the house to chat to someone else, never

mind actually comiong down the path and either knocking

on the door or trying to break in, and he is really loud.

This always kicks off Tessie westie as she joins in, and

Archie westie rund around like Corporal Jones in Dads Army

barking 'don't panic don't panic'. :laugh: :laugh: