UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Money Saving Fugees

Peachy

Crushed washing powder tablets guy on ebay has told me its £15 per 10kg bag delivery.

Royal Mail parcelforce charge £14.26 for 20kgs so bit of a difference.

Is it normal for sellers to charge high postage? :unsure:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was advised by a washing machine repair man a couple of years ago that you should always halve the amount of powder the manufacturers advise to use, you dont need that much to clean your clothes and it also can contribute to clogging up the machines. For the last couple of years I have only used one tablet in my wash - it cleans just as effectively as 2 and costs a whole lot less :)

This could also go in the gardening thread.

What comes from the earth can also be put back.

Get a carrier bag without holes in it.

Put a bucket in the garden to collect rainwater.

Take the cork tips of your fags ends and put them in the compost heap.

Crumble the fag end - paper and tobacco and put them in the bag.

When you have at least half a bag full - empty the bag into the rainwater bucket and mix it up well. Put it away from the house as it will stink.

You can cover it but when it rains, take the cover off and let the rainwater in the bucket.

Keep collecting fag ends and once hald full empty the fag ends into the bucket.

After about a month it's ready (start another bucket for rainwater).

Use the contents of the rainwater bucket One jugful to three of water and put this around the base of your plants to feed them AFTER you have watered them.

It is liquid feed and will nourish your plants and doesn't cost you anything.If you don't smoke, find someone who does and ask them if they can tip their ashtrays into a bag for you to collect.

Dig a small trough-couple of inches deep, about 4-6 inches away from the base stem of a rose bush and lay a banana skin in the trough, cover and leave it. It will nourish the Rose and again costs you nothing.

Instead of buying kitchen/bathroom cleaning products, buy thin bleach (about 19p for two litres in Asda) in a spray bottle. Does the job just as well (if not better).

Instead of using Febreze or other fabric freshener, put a bit of fabric conditioner into a spray bottle, top up with water and use that instead. Not only does it smell nicer but is MUCH cheaper.

Don't use your dishwasher! I stopped using mine months and months ago and I wash up by hand instead, which I actually prefer. It saves me money on water (water meter) and electricity.

Edited by merledogs

I was advised by a washing machine repair man a couple of years ago that you should always halve the amount of powder the manufacturers advise to use, you dont need that much to clean your clothes and it also can contribute to clogging up the machines. For the last couple of years I have only used one tablet in my wash - it cleans just as effectively as 2 and costs a whole lot less :)

I use way less than the packet recommends I'm sure. We don't have a dishwasher or tumble dryer here so I guess we are saving on that.

Only problem for me with some of the products on offer/cheaper etc. is whether they are animal tested as I try really hard to avoid things that are, which does limit shopping a tad, but Tesco own stuff isn't meant to be tested so I buy that where I can.

We shop at Tesco but I'm very sure ASDA was cheaper when we shopped there (perhaps because the local one didn't have anywhere near the choice of Tesco?) but someone said recently ASDA's animal welfare record is worse than Tesco :(

My tip for the day - have a lot of dogs so you can snuggle up and keep warm without needing the heating on.

In seriousness though, I have used a hot water bottle to keep me warm at times when I've been sat around getting cold, rather than having the heating on full blast - I figure boiling a kettle is substantially cheaper than half an hour of heating for example. Not so relevant right now but as winter approaches perhaps. Also doing a bit of physical activity around the house (whatever takes your fancy :wink: ) gets you warmer than sitting on your bum doing nothing - so I suspect that saves on heating bills too :)

that's a really good one. hadnt thought of that.

I like that one too.

As I spent the first 40 years of my life living without central heating - I do not like it full on - neither do the dogs.

If cold I just put a sweater on.

Even cheaper (and kinder to dogs noses) put a two drops of any of the following - Orange/Lemon/Lemongrass/Manderin essensial oil in a spray bottle full of water and use that. One burst of spray into each corner should do it.

Or one drop in one of those candle things will delicately scent a room - by the front door is where I keep one.

I also use a small amount of powder for washing as mechanic told me too and I use white vinegar as the last rinse, sometimes with one drop of essential oil in with it. (Oil gets rid of soap so washing is rinsed clear.)

Then there is the one most suggested by wives as in 'shall I' when replying to a lazy husband.

When you are doing a job ie cleaning your kitchen - stick a broom up you bum and sweep the floor at the same time. :laugh:

is it just me thinking of Viz's Top Tips section and giggling like a very silly thing ?

*I'll get my coat*

Thank god it isnt just me Sam :laugh: :laugh:

'to check if you fridge light is working drill a hole in the fridge door, so that when you close it you will know if the light has gone out or not' :wink: :laugh: :laugh: