UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Money Saving Fugees

Peachy

I bought a whirlygig, didn't like them much at all but I love mine now. We have a very small garden and so I put the whirlygig pole through the hole in the garden table and then into the parasol stand so it doesn't take up much room. I bought a cover for it and when its not used I collapse it and put it away, works perfectly and you can get tons of stuff on it. I used to find I was doing a wash a day as I only had a clothes horse indoors and didn't have enough drying room, now a wash dries in a couple of hours max and you can fit at least 3 washes on the line at one time. Isn't it sad when you can get excited about a rotary washing line! :laugh:

The first thing I bought for our house was a rotary washing line - after 6 years of living in flat without a garden I was desperate to be able to dry things outside :laugh:

Get your meat from a butcher, rather than a supermarket. They have all the cheaper cuts, and (if they're anything like mine) will also give you their chicken wings / carcasses / lamb and beef ribs / offal etc for free for your dog(s). I have barely spent anything feeding Riley since we swapped to going to the butchers.

Make loads of soup - easily bulked up with beans and pulses etc and a great way of using up veg that you've got on offer or grown.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh another one! Since getting my slow oven I've found I've saved. I make sure it's full so can freeze what ever I don't need right away, also you can make such a variety of easy meals. Nothing nicer than setting it off in the morning and in the evening walking into the house with a yummy smell (other than the normal wet dog smell!! :laugh: )

Get your meat from a butcher, rather than a supermarket. They have all the cheaper cuts, and (if they're anything like mine) will also give you their chicken wings / carcasses / lamb and beef ribs / offal etc for free for your dog(s). I have barely spent anything feeding Riley since we swapped to going to the butchers.

Can I ask a stupid question, how do you know which bits are safe for dogs - I thought anything with small or splintery bones (ie wings) was not good for them :unsure:

Can I ask a stupid question, how do you know which bits are safe for dogs - I thought anything with small or splintery bones (ie wings) was not good for them :unsure:

That's if the bones are cooked :flowers: There is a chance they could have a problem with an uncooked bone so it's just a case of doing what you feel comfy with :)

As long as they're raw then wings etc are all fine - in fact they help keep their teeth nice and clean. The only thing I don't give Riley are weight-baring bones (legs) because they're so hard that she could shatter a tooth on them.

If you're going to investigate raw feeding then there's lots of info on the web and books by Tom Lonsdale or Kythmy Schulze are worth reading. I spent a long time umming and ahhing over changing - but it's made a big difference to Riley (she can now keep weight on and her anal gland issues are a lot better).

Raw chicken wings (never cooked) make up a large amount of our dogs diet, the bone to meat ratio is a perfect balance for feeding. I don't feed any cooked bones at all and avoid the kinds of sharp bones you get in chops.

As long as they're raw then wings etc are all fine - in fact they help keep their teeth nice and clean. The only thing I don't give Riley are weight-baring bones (legs) because they're so hard that she could shatter a tooth on them.

If you're going to investigate raw feeding then there's lots of info on the web and books by Tom Lonsdale or Kythmy Schulze are worth reading. I spent a long time umming and ahhing over changing - but it's made a big difference to Riley (she can now keep weight on and her anal gland issues are a lot better).

Completely going off the original topic, but when you say you don't feed weight bearing bones, do you not feed marrow bones? :flowers: I know what you mean about them being hard, but I find mine just gnaw away at them until they more or less disappear :)

In my book marrow bones are more recreational and once they've managed to remove the marrow I take the 'cleaned' bones away. I do feed chicken legs as the bones are still quite soft.

Yes, I don't feed marrow bones as a primary food source, but they can do away with most of one in a fairly short period of time :wacko:

My butcher is fab too!! He gives me loads of lovely bones and finds it very funny that I buy belly pork for the dogs!! I'm vegi but feel guilty for not buying off him so buy belly pork cos it's cheap. I give mine hard bones...keeps them quiet tomorrow.

Completely going off the original topic, but when you say you don't feed weight bearing bones, do you not feed marrow bones? :flowers: I know what you mean about them being hard, but I find mine just gnaw away at them until they more or less disappear :)

No I don't give her marrow bones - experience has shown that (for her) the marrow is just too rich and she ends up with a very runny bottom, even with just a small amount, and that makes her anal glands flare up again. She gets chicken legs occasionally and she gets a kong for entertainment / chewing.

Find out at your local supermarket what is their change over day for food, my OH gleamed from Sainsbury's its a Thursday so he now goes shopping there later in the evening and follows the lady with the reduced gun round the store :rolleyes:

Oh my - are you sure he is not after her gun missus?

Seriously that is a good idea - will find out when our sainsburys change over.

I cook liver with garlic salt. 20 mins when it first goes in, then sprinkle garlic salt over it and cut it into small piesces.

Put back in oven and keep an eye on it as it can burn round the edges quite quickly.

When done, cool and cut into treat size pieces. When cold put into little freezer bags and you have a ready supply of treat for a fraction of the cost in the shops.

You can also do the same with microwave tuna/sardine cake.

I use the tumble dryer everyday as I cannot hang washing out with the poo everywhere :(