UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Frighteneing Experience

mmm ... i will be really interested in what the rescue say - what i do know is that it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that this dog did not show any indication of this 2 weeks ago if she was given a proper assessment by the rescue involved.

dogs do not become aggressive like this "overnight" - this type of aggression/response will have been there since a tiny puppy.

now for RR's neotony - i shall start a new post but to be honest, you all seem so prejudice and unable to accept anybody new, i am actually thinking of leaving.

Edited by summersun

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mmm ... i will be really interested in what the rescue say - what i do know is that it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that this dog did not show any indication of this 2 weeks ago if she was given a proper assessment by the rescue involved.

dogs do not become aggressive like this "overnight" - this type of aggression/response will have been there since a tiny puppy.

now for RR's neotony - i shall start a new post but to be honest, you all seem so prejudice and unable to accept anybody new, i am actually thinking of leaving.

Sorry Claire, I am finding your posts really rather offensive now. The Refuge is extremely welcoming to new members.

We are certainly not prejudice to new members - but read thru' your posts - one of your first posts on this thread gave the owner two options, the first of which was to insist the rescue took the dog back! This is without you not having met the dog or owner.

You have then made various posts about RRs being more aggressive than other breeds and not being able to communicate properly. This seems rather an unfair blanket statement and one which has upset people who support Deed Not Breed.

Wtih regard to your last comment, obviously if you would rather not post here again that's entirely your decision :flowers:

And you are STILL making comments such as this, despite all the posts that have been made in response to yours today? How on earth can you possibly judge, having never met the poor dog, that this dog has been this way since a tiny puppy? And how can you comment on the rescue and the dog's behaviour in rescue?

while i find most of your post patronising, this bit really does get my back up. I own a kennels. we have both boarding dogs and a small rescue running from here. Why on earth do people still beleive the kennels must know what the dog is like. Unless they bring their dogs home and cage them in a kennel with 30 odd other dogs, how on earth can the dogs behaviour be expected to be anything remotely similar to how it was whilst at the rescue?

In the last month we have rehomed 3 collie types, all of which i expected to be potentially hard work once in a home environment, as they were excitable youngsters with kennel stress and suffering eternal giddyness. All 3 have turned out to be quiet sensible pets with no manic moments or problems.

Fenella, im glad to see you are determined to fix these issues and plan to stick with your dog. Id have been mortified if you had followed earlier knee jerk reaction advice and just given her back. :flowers:

I think you took my posting out of context Helly, I did not mean to insinuate that the kennels will know everything about the dogs and its very true that dogs display different behaviour in kennel situations than in home situations. But do you not agree that the kennel staff can get a good measure of the dogs basic temprement in kennels. I should also have put the comment about canine behaviour as a separate comment, it is certianly a fascinating subject to me and I personally have had really good results. People who deal with rescue dogs or take rescue dogs on get all my respect, my own Josh is a rescue and was not without problems along with Shad before him.

I think the most important thing is that Fenella is in the process of sorting her problems out in a way that is working for her and her dog so thats to be applauded. :)

Evening...

Right let me introduce myself to our newer members...

I'm Snow nice to meet you .... :biggrin:

Let me tell you a bit about myself, I'm a pretty straight forward kinda person, easy going, patient, great sense of humour, and pretty open minded, I'm also the one with the big stick :D

There are very good clear rules posted on every page of this board - they are there for a reason, and they apply to all, whether newbie or regular member. Have a look here: http://www.therefuge.org.uk/faq.html

In this thread there have been some quite offensive remarks and certainly several which could be taken as being quite personal - they stop as of now.

It's a really good idea to think carefully before pressing reply, because I and the staff won't hesitate to remove entire posts if the poster doesn't follow the rules.

So, think happy thoughts people... and lets not make me get out the vanish button. :flowers:

Good luck must have been very frightening for you, glad you are getting support from the rescue and seeking the advice of a behavourist :flowers:

I would also like to add that in my experience dogs can suddenly behave aggressively even if it has not been seen by a previous owner or rescue i'm sure there are numerous reasons why, hopefully a good behavourist will put her on the right track.

hi,

you basically have 2 options

1. call paws and tell them she is aggressive and that you are bringing her back now and want your adoption fee back as there is no way they should have homed this dog with a "new" owner. if they say they dont have room then just state everything again and say you are bringing her NOW. there are always kennels somewhere that they can find.

2. if you want to keep her you need to call a behaviourist today before she does this again and it must be one insured to work with aggressive dogs too if they are not, and she bites them they could claim against you as an owner.

claire x

Hi I am a volunteer for Pawz for thought, be reassured we offer full back up, and if Puscha needs to come back she will. In fact another volunteer is visiting Pushca tomorrow. I am slightly concerned about your advice; volunteering for a caring rescue, I am at a loss why you would be so aggressive with your message, this approach simply does not help rescues, dogs in need and people simply wanting training advice

Liz@pawz

I've read this thread with interest as I have a alsation/greyhound cross, he pulls on everything, canny, halti, gentle leader, no pull harness, halti harness. He is very boisterous & has before now jumped & snatched things out of my hands.

He plays with other dogs quite rough & depending on whether they know him or not it can be a bit hair raising. He is totally toy motivated.

He doesn't attack his lead but also had a really bad jumping habit that caused a few bruises. He didn't show any of these traits on the 3 weekends of visits before we adopted him from Dogs Trust. I do not blame the kennels for not seeing these habits.

I am a volunteer with rottweiler rescue, I've seen how kennel stress can affect the dogs, you will rarely find a dog acting in a kennel how it will in a home .It does take a few weeks for them to adjust & find their feet.

You are doing the right thing by speaking to the rescue- any reputable rescue would provide you with the help you need. Finding some way to channel the boisterousness will help, I've got Tig responding to hand signals-he will now look to see whether he has to come, lie down or sit- he gets to play ball all a reward. We dont play tugger games, I've changed his food & he is never allowed on furniture. It is sometimes hard work, he can be a handful but he a a gem as well. I dont know all his history- he was picked up on the streets as a stray before he was a yr old. We have bad days where he's an absolute pig but they are getting less as long as I have a toy he is focused, he likes to play with little dogs (probably cos he plays with the guinea pigs I've got) but they dont all like him. 'To me' gets him back for a toy, 'Go play' allows him to play with the ball on his own.

I hope things improve for you & now that you have been out together again you will not be a nervous, yes there may be issues but I can see no reason why by using common sense and the help that's offered you dont sort them out. I would have her spayed though if she isn't already done.

Good Luck

I feel like I've entered the twilight zone :wacko: or a parallel universe...or are they same thing?!

How can a dog be judged without being seen?

Thank you very kind words, the owner posted here for training advice, which we will give

hi,

my personal opinion is that as the owner was injured that this *is* a serious situation.

um, I thought that her arm was just marked and bruised? I'm not making any claims to expertise, but I have been painfully marked and bruised by large dogs, even through a jacket. It's not good, and I can totally understand how a new owner might think 'Arrrrgh, scary! she is attacking me!!' but - well, put it this way, my dog has bitten me to bruise through a jacket, and I really, really do not think my dog is aggressive towards people (people who have met my Mollydog are probably ROFLing at the very idea). She just got overexcited, had poor aim, and misunderstood the rules of tuggy.

I think you may be discounting how easy it is for a new dog owner to be alarmed by a behaviour they've not seen before. I mean, when I adopted Mollydog, she insisted on smiling at us, and never having seen a scary greyhound smile full of teeth before, my husband and I were a bit 'OMG, WHY IS SHE SNARLING, WHAT HAVE WE DONE, WILL SHE BITE!!!' Then we saw a photo of a greyhound smile, and we felt very very stupid... But I might well have posted using completely the wrong words, based on a misinterpretation. And she wasn't my first dog either, I grew up with collie x of various sorts , I'd just never seen a dog show that many teeth before without it being a warning.

murtle - could you explain your comment ?

reikiange - then why send it out to a "new" home without saying anything ?

cycas - it is responsible not alarmist, the dog has already attacked her and most definately could attack others.

ridgebacks are a breed which are genetically more aggressive than "your avg breed" this is NOT "deed not breed" this is genetic fact.

this does not sound like the dog was "tugging playfully at the lead" (or her arm) and lead pulling is rewarding in itself and doesnt have anything to do with "dominance".

i am an experienced rescuer and reasonably experienced in dog behaviour too - experienced enough to know that an inexperienced owner needs help in person asap. and to keep her and the dog safe - dont put leads near her they obviously trigger it, and dont put her in situations where she's got the opportunity to get loose.

claire.

Once again

We, Pawz have offered full back up, we simply would not home a dog without giving the pontential owner all the information, but, like many GOOD rescues, can not be held responsible once home. The main thing is 1 the owner is to recieve full support (As she is committed to the dog) Pawz ALWAYS accept the dogs, for the whole of the dogs life, Back. Maybe people want to keep to training advice and not opinion on rescues

She is really nice natured! Usually! Her leads are nylon-and her pull toy is nylon so thats going in the cupboard! Just had a phone call from the rescue who are going to come round tomorrow and see whats what-I am not giving up on her. Now i have recovered and calmed down i am determined to give this another go. I have left messages with 2 behaviourists. Will take her out again before i go to work and try a more firm approach if she tries anything again. Will keep everyone posted.

I got a phone call back from one of the behaviourists i contacted and it turns out she knows Pushka already! What a stroke of luck. She worked with her in her previous home before the owner decided to give her up. The behaviourist says the dog plays as rough as you can get, and is a lurcher/staffi cross.So it sounds like she was playing after all. She said i was doing everything right and is coming to visit next week to start work on her again. She also gave me a tip on how to control her if it happens again.She reckons the games of tag etc have very little to do with what happened,just that she loves her toys and playing.I have taken her out again -minus the son!-and she was a pleasure to walk-so am off to work feeling a lot happier! :)

Best of luck Fenella :flowers:

she sounds a nice dog :)

You know it doesnt matter what the nature of a dog is or the breed.

What does matter is that you only have the right nature and breed for you and your family.

Ridgies are called Lion dogs in Africa because they stop your livestock being left in trees by big cats. Of course they are no more aggresive than any other dog. They just deal with things in a sensible manner suitable for the mind of a ridgie.

Which area is the rescue in ? there seems to be about 3 with the same name.It may be useful to say what area the dog came from because anyone on here could have a contact number to get hold of someone quickly

Hi and thank you for providing advice, our website is www.pawzforthought.org, contact number 01915675194, this is on all adoption forms

Hi Fenella :wavey: ,

im so glad that you have had a response from a behaviourist who already knows your dog- what a stroke of luck!

My initial thought on what happened was- that your dog is probably not a small one, therefore if it was a truly aggressive behaviour, wouldnt it have done a lot more damage and maintained its assault on you for longer ( i am assuming this by basing my own experience of being attacked by 'truly' aggressive dogs- they meant me serious harm)

However- my opinion aside, it sounds like you are on the right path and determined to see it through- Thats a lucky dog

Good luck and :GroupHug: for your bruises, i hope they soon feel better