UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Does Your Dog Get Mistaken For Another Breed?

one.eyed.dog

Dylan and Flash, our saluki lurchers, generally gets mistaken for a greyhound or a whippet. Very occasionally Flash is recognised as a saluki.

Troy, our Pyrenean mountain dog, is usually mistaken for a newfoundland ("I never knew they come in white..." :rolleyes: ) or a St. Bernard. And one or two thought he was a particularly big Golden Retriever... - very big indeed. :laugh:

Occasionally kids think he is a sheep or a polar bear... :wub: :laugh:

Jesse, our American cocker spaniel... most see that he is some sort of spaniel, but he has too much hair. We were once asked whether he was a clumber... His breed gets recognised very rarely.

Vera

Edited by LurcherGirl

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Small children often mistake my dogs for horribly abused starved dogs, because you can see their ribs (well, just about, in the right light...). Mollydog plays up to this shamelessly, and I have to watch her carefully around kids or the 'poor starved dog' would eat so many sweets and ice creams...

Tiz and Cooper...Pit bulls!!! :rolleyes: Cromwell...ridgeback (FFS he's a tiny little dog!!! :laugh: ) and don't even get me started on Sidney!!

He's a pure bred Bedlington (yeah but 4 times the size of them)....a Poodle x Beardy??? A pure bred Poodle...(yeah in weirdo land). A Labrodoodle (like I'm stupid enough to pay £500 for a cross breed) and the best one of all....a greyhound...honestly!!! :laugh: :laugh: This is all from people that 'know' !!! :laugh:

I've not yet had any outrageously daft suggestions from adults - just the usual "are they whippets"? :rolleyes: but kids are another matter:

"Mummy, why has that lady got goats?" and "Daddy, are they foxes?"

Ellie goat

Copyof2008_0427Doglies0064.jpg

Barley Fox

2006_0922Doglies0014.jpg

Seriously though it's quite obvious that most people don't have a clue what most breeds look like so is it any wonder that all these newspaper reports of dog attacks have people stating "It was a pit bull" Going by this thread, they could have been just about anything :wacko:

I sometimes get 'so what breed is he then' ?

Dogpics2007205.jpg

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

or most often i get 'Is SHE a Dandy Dinmont' ?

Dogpics2007012.jpg

Dogpics2007106.jpg

depending on my mood the anwer will either be HE is a minature wire haired daschund or

no HE is a mongolian tear hound, he tears flesh off by jumping at your sensetive bits and hanging

off them till they tear :ohmy:

My Blue (greyhound) is a skinny Gt. Dane. :rolleyes: Makes a change from people asking if I race my dogs. :mad:

In the early days when we were in the local press almost every issue that was turned on its head when I was out and about this small town and I got "I hope you don't race them because I've read what happens to them in the Courier" (local paper) Was a good feeling but sadly that was a good few years ago and doesnt happen so much now :(

We always answer yes, but they always beat us :wink:

:laugh: Am going to try that next time someone asks me

Oops - off topic!

Ria (Ridgeback/Staffie cross) has been called a Pitbull, an "Australian Ridgeback", a "Dash Hound" :laughingsmiley: and a Scooby Doo (that one's pretty understandable).

Connie (Blonde collie cross) is a Fox, a Wolf, a Greyhound and a Lab. Bear in mind she's long coated...

Roxy my Staffie has been a Pitbull and a pot bellied pig (again, understandable).

Wilbur my pure black Lab often gets mistaken for a Rottie, or a Springer Spainel.

Interestingly the boxer people say Jed is a boxer cross and what with, and the pointer people say Jed is a pointer cross and what with..... so no mistakes on that one.

The best "mistake" was in a fun dog show when there were only 5 of us in the pedigree class. The judge was one of those "ladies with a clipboard" who know FAR more than everyone else about dogs, so when she said 3rd place went to "The Lurcher" nobody stepped forward. She then kept saying "The Lurcher, come on, step forward" so we were all looking around for a lurcher. Eventually she came over to me and said "You, come on, step forward". So I just showed her Lucy's ear tattoo and explained she is actually an ex-racing GREYHOUND. And that Lurchers are actually crossbreeds.

Don;t think she liked me after that.

I've been told Whuppety Jake is definitely a sausage dog, but that was by a child. He whipped his head round to look at her as the S word was mentioned but that's about the nearest he gets to being a sausage dog :laugh:

DSCF0010.jpg

When I was out with Princess Tess the Fairy Lurcher, a passing adult grabbed her child and told it to 'Keep away from it, it's a wolf' :laugh:

Tess-1.jpg

I often lie about the breeding of my Borzoi. When certain 'type' folk take interest. I just describe her as soome fluffy crossed with something leggy.

Imagine my suprise when I was informed she was probably EBT cross. Its in the nose dont you know!!

DSCF0907.jpg

Tiz and Cooper...Pit bulls!!! :rolleyes: Cromwell...ridgeback (FFS he's a tiny little dog!!! :laugh: ) and don't even get me started on Sidney!!

He's a pure bred Bedlington (yeah but 4 times the size of them)....a Poodle x Beardy??? A pure bred Poodle...(yeah in weirdo land). A Labrodoodle (like I'm stupid enough to pay £500 for a cross breed) and the best one of all....a greyhound...honestly!!! :laugh: :laugh: This is all from people that 'know' !!! :laugh:

Slightly OT but I met a poodle/collie cross on Sunday - called Peter :laugh: