UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Life Before Crates

alisonsophieb

My first experience with crates was many many years ago.

A customer of mine breed/ showed toy breeds. Her living room was full of crates piled one on top of another pushed in between pieces of furniture and every available corner. This is where the dogs spent the majority of their lives.

CRATES- no dog of mine will ever be caged.

For many years I carried this thought. Many home study courses I have taken explain how to create train, how they are not cruel, not a punishment etc etc.

Still ,no it’s a cage, and all the way back to years before and those poor dogs.

Since my oldies, my first baby, now nearly 3 years. (akita) was the best puppy ever, never chewed or got up to any puppy behaviour. ( I was blessed)

Then rescue Mandy, whippety cross omg it got to the point where I dreaded unlocking the front door. What was I going to find, chewed beds, skirting boards, stair case. So in fear of 1 day returning to a building plot where my house used to stand. I bought a create.

WOW. Life changing. As my family grew to eventually 7 so did my collection of crates.

The dogs have their own room all the crates lined up with big baskets and fluffy cushions. I have a stair gate across the door as not all sleep in crates therefore the gate stops any of the other’s wondering in and disturbing the babies.

I keep the gate closed also during the day as it wouldn’t be the first time that I have done a “head count†to find one missing. Only to find them laying in a create shredding a bed.

Today during a routine head count, 1 was missing. My mad molly saffy cross. Now I think it’s fair to say she is not the easiest of girls. Other reason why crate’s have become invaluable. (she can become a little aggressive if something “exciting happens†i.e. the door bell rings. (Not good if your out)

She had jumped the gate and put herself to bed. Fast asleep in her crate.

I have spoken to many regarding crates, and many still see them as I did.

I think today proves not only do they make our lives a lot easier and provide safety for our dogs. They do actually like them.

It is such a shame that there is not more easily accessible information about how to correctly create train, the benefits and the questions surrounding “ the cruelty of caging dogs “

I wonder if more people were aware of the benefits of crate’s whether quite as many dogs would end up in rescue.

I know this could start a real debate as the type of person who hands their dog over to rescue, probably do not think the way most of us do. But I have to wonder if some may think they can “deal†with a puppy who has pooed in his crate or shredded his blanket but it’s a different matter when he has pooed on the cream carpet or pulled the sofa apart

Before crates were available I partitioned off an area under the work surface in the kitchen. I used an old nursery fireguard bent round to protect the wall( electric plugs) and one side became the door, fastened with a dog lead clip.

I did this because I was introducing a pup to a house with a ten year old dog and he was not going to annoy her. So I needed somewhere to put him, where he could not get to her.

He became dog aggressive at ten months old, so, when I introduced the next pup into the household she went into the same arrangement so that she had a safe place when I wasn't able to keep an eye on things.

Several years later, when I got my next dog, I bought a crate, which I still have.

All my dog shave been very happy in their crates and I had no problems with chewing etc when I was out.

I wonder now how I managed without one.

Our first dog never had a crate and never needed one (we were blessed too :rolleyes: )

When i took Mich on he had been kenneled for a year and a half and i said to myself that id never confine him into a crate :dry:

Thanks to this site I read the positives about crates and bought one to try.

Since day one Mich would rather be in his crate than anywhere else! He absolutely loves being in it!

It really is his 'safe' place and he knows its his, it solved his anxiety about being left instantly.

When we first brought him home he related us leaving to being shut in the kitchen unable to get out and he pooped and cried and scratched the kitchen door. After the crate arrived he was put in his crate with the crate door open so he was free to come and go from the crate into the kitchen and that was all he needed. To feel that he wasnt being confined.

I also think crates are invaluable for the car, we tried hammocks and we tried seatbelts on the harness but you cant beat a crate for peace of mind to deter thiefs and god forbid, in the event of an accident or escape attempt near roads.

I brought one when we got Maddie, when she was born in the rescue where her mum was they where put in crates from day one, with her mum, so she was used to them, so Maddie was fine in it..

When I had to go out I would put her in her crate, and I would not worry about what she was doing. She would just go in on her own when tired.

Obviously now she is a little too big for the crate, but she is such a good girl, and have never had any problems at all her with chewing anything, well apart from all those teddy bears we gave her... :happy: RIP Teddy bears.

CRATES- no dog of mine will ever be caged.

For many years I carried this thought. Many home study courses I have taken explain how to create train, how they are not cruel, not a punishment etc etc.

Still ,no it’s a cage, and all the way back to years before and those poor dogs.

Same here!

I remember taking a dog to another rescue as he was supposed to go to the UK the next day with them and I saw all these crates all over the place and I took him back home with me...

Ive never crated a dog so cant join the discussion on them, in this house kids learnt quickly enough that pups/dogs chew things, put it up or lose it, visitors know our dogs live here, they dont, so love me, love my dogs.

we have a stair gate at the top of the stairs, when the kids have their pals over, they can have upstairs as a dog free zone(even though one dog has perminant residence on one daughters bed) and if we have youngsters over, we have a gate we can put across the kitchen gate rather than risk unknown little kids with huge dogs.

Ive often mentioned crates on home visits, but have always been honest and said i cant advocate something ive not used, so asked people to do their own research and discuss the individual dog with the rescue :)

I must admit, when I fostered for a rescue about 2 years ago I got a lot of Border Collie pups. :rolleyes: I could not watch 4 pups 24/7.

If I popped out to walk Max, Korky and Dylan at the time, yes I did crate the pups. It wasn't me worrying about mess, I have a stairgate I can shut between the kitchen and living room.

But I was worried if the pups could hurt themselves. Admittedly I tired the pups out with balls, Kongs etc. But I was worried in case they were still lively if I went out with our 3.

I did have a 48" crate that was open 24/7 and mainly when the pups got tired they put themselves into bed. There was thick proper vet bed in there.

I just didnt want them getting into mischief. :laugh:

I would never uphold anyone shutting any dog in a crate as punishment. In my opinion it is a place for quiet time and to rest. :flowers:

Kazz xx

I never forget many years ago writing an article on crates and how cruel they were... and how awful people are who use them and the poor dogs....

looking around my house now i have crates lol :rolleyes: times have changed, we use ours to calm down the pup when hes on his mad half hour a reflection time and hes got loads of toys and treats in their that stay in the crate, then we have crates in car, couple up stairs, pup likes to feed in his, but door always open, so he can get out, but sometimes he feeds outside funny devil... Badger likes to go and chill in the crate....

And to top it all the flaming cat was in their today fast asleep with the dog!!!!!!!!! amazing i dont think i could ever be without crates and wince at that article when i come across it :wacko:

Like most tools, I think they can be used well or badly. I can't be the only person who has encountered American owners who expect to crate their dog all day while they are at work, then again at night, then wonder why the poor soul doesn't want to go in the damn thing. Or people whose reaction to a dog fouling his crate is to say 'oh, it must be too big, you want one that is just big enough for him to turn around in...' as opposed to, say, arranging for the poor beast to get more toilet breaks...

And they don't always work. Az's previous owners tried crate training to sort out his separation anxiety problems: unsuccessfully and when he arrived here his muzzle was all bald where he'd rubbed it on the metal. I crated him the first night he was here and he barked *all bloody night long!*. He only ever barks if I close the door on the damn thing, so now it is just a very large and palatial dog bed as I can't shut the door on him.

But if I had a puppy, I'd definitely want a crate: it sounds like a brilliant way to keep the chewing in one place for an hour or so when you need it! And it's great if we have a thunderstorm: both dogs cram in there for reassuurance, sometimes with a couple of cats as well (we have a throw over ours, so it's even more den-like from inside and looks less cage-like from outside. ) However, if I was adopting Az again knowing what I do now, I might not bother with the crate. They do like it, but it takes up a lot of room and was quite expensive for the amount of use they get from it!

I too was anti-crate until I got one. Mine is now up the whole time, door open and covered with a throw. Both dogs go in and out as they please and if I do need to close one of them in, there's no problem. Boo has fear issues, fireworks, thunder etc. The crate keeps him safe and stops me worrying. When Gyp has had her operations and needed to be confined, she happily gone into the crate. It's great! When she stayed at my sisters, she had a crate too. We visited recently and the crate was folded down and leaning against a wall, Gyp stood by the crate crying to have it put up so she could go in :laugh:

Used correctly they are fantastic, used incorrectly they're cruel!

I was always of the view that crates were bad, however as with most people that have posted in this thread, times change and I've since found them invaluable, especially with fireworks and nervous dogs.

Will does have a crate, although he does not get shut in it. It is there because it is his 'safe' space if there's a storm or fireworks and he feels safer in it than out of it. It is covered over on top and he loves his little 'den'. It's also his stash place, and he has an awful disgusting habit of taking bones, toast, chews and anything else that kind of size in there and hiding under his blankie and cushions :sick01: :rolleyes:

And occasionally the odd hairbrush, cuddly toy, sock, pork joint wrapper....... :laugh:

Jack-Jack stinky poopie has a crate at Mum's too. I bought it for them so Tommy (hooge lurcher) could get used to the idea that Jack, although small furry and squeaky, was not a rabbit :rolleyes:

Now Jack's bigger and has the run of Mum's 3 storey house with Tommy, Daisy and Macky, he regularly has to give up his crate to one of the cats, who think it's their crate so Jack has to go to sleep on top of Tommy :laugh:

Ive had crates for years. Mine used to go in there themselves, and if I put one up for a foster, Shadow is straight in it lol

perfect for fosters, to have chill out time and be there if I go out, as never know what they will do.

Id like one for the car, but it would have to be big lol