UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What Do You Need To Know Before You Adopt ...

snow

We have been meaning to get round to this for ages and ages and never seem to have found the time so since Fugees are sensible and know eeeeeeverythiiiiing I've decided to get you guys to do the work instead :laugh:

We want to come up with a stickied post containing all the sensible questions a potential adopter should be asking the rescue before they adopt a particular dog from them.

Questions about the rescue policies obviously but also what about questions about that particular dog/cat/rabbit/chicken etc. what sort of questions do you wish you'd asked when you adopted your animal? What kind of information would have been useful to you?

So over to you ...

If the animal has been vet checked it would be nice if the rescue could hand over a small report from their vet saying what treatment if any the animal has had, that could then be handed over to the adopters vet. I appreciate that it might cost the rescue a few pounds to do this but they could always put up the adoption fee to pay for it. I know I would be happy to pay extra for something like that.

Terri

I wish I'd researched my dogs 'breeding' before getting them. Just because a dog is a cross breed doesn't mean breed characterists are dampened.

Tiz and Sidney they both have strong 'breed' tendency's and certainly for Sidney I would of been better prepared knowing how much exercise and stimulation Poodles require. I'm not blaming the rescues but if someone had suggested I read up before getting them it would of helped. Now I know better but as a new dog owner it's not something you would always think about with a cross breed.

When are the vaccinations due and is there a card you can have. Is the dog microchipped.

What kind of assessment has been carried out. How is the dog with other dogs, cats, children, small furries.

Is there any known history on the dog. Is it housetrained, know any basic commands.

If it doesn't work out will the rescue take back.

Any medical treatment in it's past and also whilst at rescue. On any medication now.

Temperament of the dog. Any issues you need to be aware of as far as they know. Is there anything about the particular breed that you need to be aware of. Always best to research the breed first but ask the rescue.

Has the dog been sick or had the runs in the last few days.

How does it behave when you touch eyes, ears, feet etc. Does it like being handled.

Is it frightened of anything as far as they are aware. Certain hand movements a no no. Different noises.

All the things which are important to the person adopting...

ok with kids?

ok with dogs?

ok with cats?

vet report

history of the dog if known?

travels well?

vaccinated/ neutered etc

does the rescue give support after adopting?

what food do they feed?

Can't think of anymore, but I am sure there is more to come. :)

The medical/vet's history is a great idea. The only rescue I've had this from officially was from Sarah at EGAR. She provided a little pack with a full history of absolutely everything she knew about Tiffy including a full medical history, vacs card etc. My vet was really impressed with the amount of info provided.

What about anything that the dog/cat/furrie does NOT like - ie being brushed around the head, having its paws handled, scared of vets. May portray a bit of a negative picture but if something like that is known, then its much better for the new owner to know. What about what the dog is used to sleeping in, basket, just on a blanket, with cuddly toy - anything to help the first few nights.

I don't do vet reports but what I do is attaching an info sheet for the adopters with all the treatment the dog has had plus the contact details of the vet who has carried them out.

All the dogs are fully assessed anyway so I know which place they need, plus, the HC questionaire covers feeding, crate, etc.

one of our foster dogs would not go for a wee wee in the garden only out on walks. I tried every way of asking him that I knew but he just wouldn't do it! :unsure:

the dog was owned by an elderly lady so a friend suggested I try saying 'spend a penny'.

It worked every time! :D

I would ask if the dog knows any unusual command words.

Edited by barkingmad

I think something that is worth mentioning along with the 'questions to rescue' is that the animal may well decide to behave completely differently in his new home, so although the answers are useful, you should not assume that they will continue to be correct in a new environment. ( I suspect that a lot of the issues that Az had in his previous home were down to background traffic noise. With no background traffic noise he's like a different dog. )

When we rehome a dog, we ask the previous owner or foster home to complete a "resume" for the dog, with info such as feeding times, which food, when wormer/flea treatment/boosters due, the commands the dog know which is then given to the new home so they can settle the dog in easier by knowing its routine.