UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What Are You Reading At The Moment?

Rileyroo

Try www.greenmetropolis.com - free p&P and paperbacks around £4

I'm a greenmetropolis fan :biggrin: Standard paperbacks are £3.75 delivered tho occasionally cheaper if the seller decides too knock a bit off. I have had loads of books from them and without exception they have arrived within 4 days of ordering.

They also raise money for The Woodland Trust :biggrin:

Marion

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a greenmetropolis fan :biggrin: Standard paperbacks are £3.75 delivered tho occasionally cheaper if the seller decides too knock a bit off. I have had loads of books from them and without exception they have arrived within 4 days of ordering.

They also raise money for The Woodland Trust :biggrin:

Marion

Yep it was you who told me about them in the first place :flowers:

Edited by Jemimap

• 2 weeks later...

Just started "The Weeping Women Hotel" by Alexi Sayle - on chapter 2... think it might be good..

On hol, read The Revenge of the Godfather (bought for £3.49 at the airport and literally fell apart whilst i read it :wacko:) enjoyed it though - your usual mafia type book..

Then read Right On Time by Pauline McLynn (she played Mrs Doyle in Father Ted) - which was a really good, funny light read - I'd recommend.... :)

At the moment I am reading "Understanding your dog" by Barbara Sykes, before that the new

Ian Rankin book "Exit Music", was great, I love his books. Before that Elizabeth George Inspector Lynely, 2 novels.

I am waiting for the new No1 Ladies Detective Agency novel, I think it is called "The good husband from Zebra Drive" or similar, to become cheaper. Still a bit expensive.

Prompted by this thread I am currently re-reading my Chalet School books. :laugh:

....and inspired by your post, I've decided to give up on Ava Gardner and re-read National Velvet for the first time since I was 6 years old. I wonder if I'll enjoy it as much as I did all those years ago? :unsure:

I saw a movie not to long ago, called International Velvet (any connection?)

National Velvet was published in 1935 and International Velvet was a film made in 1978 as a sequel to it. I seem to remember that Nanette Newman played Velvet and that Tatum O'Neil played her granddaughter. I recall loving the book (National Velvet) and whilst I liked the film, it was a bit schmaltzy and lacking substance but having said that, I love books but seldom enjoy films.

I'll let you know whether I can recommend the book when I've read it again - the perspective of an adult might be somewhat different to that of a child and I might think it's pants now. Should've finished reading it by Sunday evening and if it's any good, you'd be more than welcome to borrow it :flowers:

I saw a movie not to long ago, called International Velvet (any connection?)

The blurb on the back:

International Velvet is the splendid sequel to National Velvet - the classic story that became the memorable film.

Sarah is the niece of Velvet Brown, the heroine of National Velvet. Orphaned by a road crash, Sarah comes unhappily to England to live with her aunt.

Only when she discovers her talent for riding does her sadness fade... and Sarah finds her horse and her ambition - to ride for Britain and win Olympic gold...