UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What Are You Reading At The Moment?

Rileyroo

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for other stuff, I lent Ingipops The Testament of Gideon Mack' and I've not heard from her since :unsure: :unsure: (it is a bit odd)

:laugh: I have just finished reading it, it was the weirdest of books, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Especially since it was set round the east coast of Scotland. Very strange indeed, but I couldn't put it down.

Read The Discovery of Chocolate recently. I loved it, it's another strange one, about a chap who inadvertantly (sp) drinks from the fountain of youth and lives for centuries seeking his one to true love with his faithful greyhound.

I will read most things, I like Val McDairmid, Patricia Cornwell, James Paterson, Kathy Reiichs etc etc.

I'm reading Sean O'Callaghan's biography again (he was an IRA informer for the Garda) Its one of those books you have to read a few times to fully understand it - or maybe I am just thicK :wacko:

My next book is one my brother bought me for my birthday - its called 'Walking Ollie' and its a true story about a man who adopts a rescue lurcher. By any chance has anyone read it?

Just finished 'Digital Fortress' by Dan Brown (He of The Davinci Code). - Another cryptic read :)

Now reading 'Lucky You' by Carl Hiaasen - Struggling a little, then fully engrosed :wacko:

My next book is one my brother bought me for my birthday - its called 'Walking Ollie' and its a true story about a man who adopts a rescue lurcher. By any chance has anyone read it?

Walking Ollie is fab! You'll really enjoy it, even when you're criticising the man for being such a numpty sometimes :laugh:

Love Ballet Shoes, I dig that one out time and again.

AS for Chalet School, I have almost the entire collection (still trying to get the last few) and have an urge to start reading them again now :biggrin:

childrens books are my 'thing'. Noel streatfeild, edith nesbit, eve garnett, the 'wells' books, trebizon. oh and all the pullein thompsons and the ruby fergusons. Susan Cooper's Dark is Rising series. Elinor Brent Dyer though is ultra brilliant. whicgh chalet schools are you missing? if its just for readers, i have a load in transcript form. Happy to email.

I've read Walking Ollie. Not impressed. but not as not impressed as I was with Marley and Me.

One recommendation, specially for people my age (late 30's) is Where Did It All Go Right: Growing Up Normal in the Seventies. Andrew Collins. Excellent. And the sequel about student life in the 80's is just as good.

:laugh: I have just finished reading it, it was the weirdest of books, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Especially since it was set round the east coast of Scotland. Very strange indeed, but I couldn't put it down.

Read The Discovery of Chocolate recently. I loved it, it's another strange one, about a chap who inadvertantly (sp) drinks from the fountain of youth and lives for centuries seeking his one to true love with his faithful greyhound.

I will read most things, I like Val McDairmid, Patricia Cornwell, James Paterson, Kathy Reiichs etc etc.

:rolleyes:

oops messed up linky...here it is now!

Disappointing, especially after Marley & Me, that had a great story was very funny and you really felt his love for the dog. Don't know which book was written first, but WO just seems a bit like trying to make money of the succes of M&M with a not very well written book... Think a lot of people here have faaaaaar better/more interesting stories than that to tell. And didn't feel he did a whole lot of good for the common perception of rescue dogs either. Hope you are looking forward to reading it now. :laugh:

childrens books are my 'thing'. Noel streatfeild, edith nesbit, eve garnett, the 'wells' books, trebizon. oh and all the pullein thompsons and the ruby fergusons. Susan Cooper's Dark is Rising series. Elinor Brent Dyer though is ultra brilliant. whicgh chalet schools are you missing? if its just for readers, i have a load in transcript form. Happy to email.

Will need to double check, I may come back to you for that :biggrin: Have you read any of the 'new' CS books where fans fill in gaps? One was dreadful, but I've read another that was OK.

I love my kids books Black Stallion, Silver Brumby, Nancy Drew.....

Just finished Walking Ollie - was OK but was not bowled over by it.

Am currently ready The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous (Jilly Cooper) for about the 10th time as I need a chickfix book from time to time.

I do read allsorts though - love Jilly Cooper nonsense (and Fiona Walker), Martina Cole is a must as is Patricia Cornell, also love fantasy type books eg David Gemmel/David Eddings and historical dramas - Phillipa Gregory and Elizabeth Chadwick being great favs.

Used to be a huge Stephen King fan but like a few others think he has got too gory now! The Talisman and The Dark Tower books are my favs by him.

Edited by Katie

HAve just read Animals in Translation, animal behavior form an autistic perspective. Interesting in some areas disappointing in others and a bit misinformativce too, even though there are some very good ideas in it.

I read this last year and like you thought some of it was quite good but some of it made me fume.

At the mo I'm reading the very last David Gemmel book ever :mecry: poor guy died last year so this one Troy- Fall of Kings will be it.

I am also battling it out on the X Box 360 with a new game Bioshock, can highly recommend it, I should be out gardening, but bugger it, this is waaaay more fun :wink:

At the mo I'm reading the very last David Gemmel book ever :mecry: poor guy died last year so this one Troy- Fall of Kings will be it.

Yeah really sad news as he was a great author. I have this book on my pile of books to read. My understanding is that his wife actually wrote the majority of it but she co wrote a lot of his previous books with out being named so really hoping it is going to be similar to his previous books.

I am currently re reading Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.