UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

A Horrible Day -

wiccaweys

This morning we received an urgent and distraught phone call from Lindsey (Reds)

Last night Lindsey & family had a house fire caused by an electical fault in the kitchen.

Thankfully Teddy raised the alarm before the smoke alarms did, and Lindsey and her parents were able to get out.

That left Jack, Lindsey's Wiccaweys Boy and Nancy, her Wiccaweys fosterer. Lindsey's Dad kept going back, but the flames and the smoke made it impossible.

The fire services arrived, and it was a while before they brought Jack out, thankfully he came out licking and jumping up and wagging apparently, wanting to bounce on everyone.

Our beautiful Nancy wasn't so lucky, and she died from smoke inhalation. Lindsey tells me there wasn't a mark on her - she wasn't burnt. It was the smoke.

Their house will be out of action for a few weeks, and it looks like they will have to rent for a few weeks. Kitchen will have to be gutted and completely re-built, but thankfully everyone is ok. We've offered everyone beds here if needed, and/or to take in the dogs while they all get sorted. We are just grateful that Lindsey and her folks are all ok.

I don't know what to say about Nancy. I feel like I've failed her. She was the longest stayer at Wiccs. She's been with Wiccs for about a year. She was terrified of people. She had obviously been badly beaten and abused. It took her so long to trust at all even the tinest bit. She arrived pregnant. I held her paw and helped her when she had her puppies. It was the only time she completely put her trust in me. When we had to move, Nancy had to take those huge steps to go on foster. She probably wasn't ready, but it had to happen. Michaela and her hubby took her in, and Nancy did well with them and her dogs. Nancy loved other dogs. She was with Michaela for a few months. When Michaela had to change her working hours, Lynda and Leanne offered to take Nancy in and work their wonders with her. Neither Michaela, or Paul & I thought Nancy was brave enough to face the rehoming page. Lindsey took Nancy while L&L are on holiday, as none of us felt she would be able to cope with a camping trip. She loved playing with Jack.

And now she's gone. Nancy never knew a forever home of her own. We didn't get to do that for her.

We are having Nancy privately cremated and she will come home to Wiccaweys. She may not have found her forever home in life, but she will not be abandoned now she is gone. She can rest with Wiccaweys friends who have left before.

anance.jpg

I'm sorry Nancy. So many people loved you.

Run free sweetheart, be brave and no longer fearful. There are lots of friends to play with in the Summerlands.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so very sorry to hear this. :mecry: :mecry: What a terrible tragedie for all concerned and well done Teddy.

My heart goes out to everyone involved and same as Sarah I am glad that Lindsey and her folks are ok.

Run free Nancy, maybe never in a forever home but certainly loved by so many :wub:

Cindy :(