UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Mccanns

ClazUK

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a difficult one though - not sure how it works with missing people or the loss of children in accidents for example but when my Mum was killed in an accident my Dad received an amount of money for her loss - not representative of her life by any means but it would have paid the mortgage for a while if he'd needed to.

He quite literally lost his life as he knew it that day as he was nearly killed & never worked again because of someone else's actions (drunken driver) but he did receive a small amount of compensation for the impact on his life - more than the McCann's are supposed to have used for their mortgage.

On the other hand, we lost our house when OH was made redundant but I see that differently.

Whatever some compensations people get others still do lose their houses (or at least downsize!) because of loss or illness or other tragedy. The fund at the end of the day was to find Maddy.

I'm torn over the mortgage payments. :dry:

On the one hand, they've lost a child, do we want them to lose their home as well?

On the other, they have family and freinds, why are none of them helping towards mortgage costs?

I'm certain that the mortgage company given the terrible circumstances, would be very understanding if payments couldn't be made for a while.

He's a Consultant on a salary of 75K, she's a GP (salary unknown), how come they have a 500K house???........

He's a Consultant on a salary of 75K, she's a GP (salary unknown), how come they have a 500K house???........

Bying and selling previous homes giving them a big deposit? We dont' know what they bought the house for - only what its worth now...

And though it says his salary is 75k remember 'Consultants' can earn more by also doing some private work. She wouldn't be on any less than 40k part time or not (think average GP salary is about 55k) so even mortgaging on a joint salary of 115k, they'd only need four times salary which some banks were doing a few years ago (dunno if they still do?)

Don't think there is anything sinister about their house value/salary...

Bying and selling previous homes giving them a big deposit? We dont' know what they bought the house for - only what its worth now...

And though it says his salary is 75k remember 'Consultants' can earn more by also doing some private work. She wouldn't be on any less than 40k part time or not (think average GP salary is about 55k) so even mortgaging on a joint salary of 115k, they'd only need four times salary which some banks were doing a few years ago (dunno if they still do?)

Nor I, our house has tripled in value since 2001, we couldn't afford to buy it at it's current value. People also have money from investments, inheritances etc so it's never as simple as basing it on their salary.

I've got a feeling I read they were on unpaid leave, so maybe not, but don't quote me.

I'm not sure how I feel about fund money having been used to pay for a few months of their mortgage. It doesn't sit comfortably, but I haven't lost a child. I don't really see what the value of the house they live in has to do with anything though, it's not as though they bought the house itself with fund money is it and for their jobs/salaries, the value of the house doesn't seem exactly "extreme".

GP salaries are considerably more than that.I think most full time GPs are estimated to earn £250k although they deny this strongly :wink:

I also don't know many consultants that earn under £100k a year.

I cant help it I believe the mother did it, and the money of Maddies fund should not of been used to pay there mortgage. Also pi**es me of that they as Drs visit us if our child visits casualty BUT they leave there kids unattended all night.............GGGRRRR

Well, I definitely don't beleive that Maddie's mother murdered her. :wacko: They both made a huge error of judgement for which they are paying the ultimate price. Nobody deserves to go through what they are going through. Whay can't they be left in peace now. A & E doctors have a duty to report any 'suspicious' injuries to a child. Neither of the McCanns work in A & E anyway, Mr works at my local hospital, Glenfield and Mrs is a GP locally.

:ohmy: And they don't even do housecalls anymore :ohmy:

A & E doctors have a duty to report any 'suspicious' injuries to a child. Neither of the McCanns work in A & E anyway, Mr works at my local hospital, Glenfield and Mrs is a GP locally.

Nope - all professionals (or anyone who works with children or the parents of children) have a 'duty' to report any suspicions relating to child protection. This would particularly relate to GP's who would not only be expected to report any suspicions but also comment in official reports and investigations where family's are being investigated regarding child protection. Mrs McCann, as a GP, should be fully up to date with child protection legislation.

People gave money solely for the purpose of financing a campaign to find the child.

I think it is WRONG to use it for any other purpose.

According to the fund website:

Madeleine’s Fund was set up to:
  1. Find Madeleine;
  2. Support the Family; and
  3. Bring the abductor or abductors to justice

and subject to that to help other missing children

I would imagine the mortgage payments could come under 2. Support the Family? (though I think the payments were stopped once the parents were declared suspects).

Not saying I support the fund being used in this way, but I would think the above would cover that use?

GP salaries are considerably more than that.I think most full time GPs are estimated to earn £250k although they deny this strongly :wink:

As I understand it, GP's have to fund the running costs of their surgeries from their 'wages'.