UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Mill Rescue

Pingu

I have read the posts on this thread and i have to admit to being reluctant to add my tuppence worth.... and i have no doubt that i will be shot down in flames by some people.

I am not going to enter into the debate about what should happen with MR now, i believe that everything has been reported to the appropriate authorities and i only pray that they take any action required, but as someone who is currently sitting cuddling a dog from MR i do appreciate Helly's earlier post admitting that in the past mistakes have been made. I find it difficult to read posts supporting past events at MR, and in some cases my gut instinct is to reply to some of them saying "what about us, the people who have nursed sick dogs back to health". I am not imagining or lying about the condition my girl was in when i adopted her but neither am i particularly interested in Maggie's finances...all i care about is the dogs.

I would have appreciated some contact from MR, just to say "yeah we could have done better" and assuring those of us who do have first hand experience that the things that have been reported will NEVER happen again. Some of the critisism against people posting their experiences has been that instead of "slagging" Maggie off we should be offering to help....i would just like to say i have never slagged maggie off and if i wasn't an 8 hour journey away i would gladly have offered to help if Maggie had come on and admitted there was/is a problem.

I, like many others are beginning to find the posts very hard to read...they are going over the same ground time and time again. If maggie is being allowed to continue running MR after all the complaints that i know have been lodged against her, surely it is time to put the dogs needs first and everyone pull together to ensure that nothing like this ever happens again. Don't ask me how that can be done, i just don't know, all i want is to go to bed at night not worrying any more about the dogs still there, be that because conditions have improved and are being monitored or because the rescue has been closed, i just want what is best for the dogs.

Maybe now is the time for Maggie to admit to past mistakes and assure everyone what is being done to stop them happening again and i believe that would go a long way to helping the situation as people are genuinely worried that conditions may improve but attitudes won't. I read a post somewhere saying something along the lines of Maggie not having to reply or defend herself and to a certain extent i can understand why she would not want to, but some contact with the individuals who did adopt the dogs that have been mentioned previously would have gone a long way to helping her reputation.

Whatever condition my girl was in, she is now a happy, healthy much loved part of my family and i have stated before and will do again that i will always be grateful to Maggie for allowing me to bring her home with me.....

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for that Sundaygirl :flowers: I would like to say tho I have read a few different accounts of rehomings from MR in the past stating experiences that were positive for those people rather than negative, and in those cases they are as entitled as those who had bad experiences to feel that their experience and feelings about MR are as valid as those of the people who's experience was negative, that can of course be seen as supporting past events that as it is their positive experience, but I would dispute that it means that they support any negative experiences that others may have had. It's simply a matter of their experience being different.

I am however glad to hear your girl is happy and well and wish you many years of joy with her :flowers:

I believed Catherine and Lisa's account of how it was

Me too :flowers:

And I also believe Pingu and Hellys account of how it was when they visited :flowers:

And the accounts of people who had poorly dogs from there :(

And Yorkie Mums story of her foster.

But I also think it would be nice for Maggi to post about what went wrong and what has changed and how things will improve so that I can find it in my heart to believe that too.

Sorry for the ambiguity, Bunnygirl/Rykat, no - that meant that they were not allowed to advertise their dogs on DP. You read it wrongly but maybe I could have been clearer :)

Thank you for clearing that up, oh, and for taking the time to pop back onto this thread especially to reply as you did say won't be posting anymore, much appreciated that you made the special effort :)

I know it's bad form to quote yourself, but I wanted to be clear that this is the reason I won't be posting any more on this thread.

Sundaygirl - I don't think you'll find anybody flaming you here for making such an honest, realistic post :flowers: It does come to something though when the people *actually* involved at the very crux of the original issues, who are *actually* dealing with the dogs who suffered, are displaying more forgiveness and maturity than people who have only lived through this whole thing vicariously :(

I think - hope - that more and more people are coming to realise that the time has come to move on and to provide the support for the improvements to continue, rather than continue to condemn and perpetuate the vitriol.

I don't think you'll find a single Refuge member disagreeing with your sentiments Trudi :flowers:

Well put Snow :flowers:

its a rare day that i get involved in public controversy, not being a rescuer, i often feel my opinion is invalid, but i hope, as an individual, im entitled to have a personal opinion .

From the side lines, iive seen many errors of judgement made and many mistakes, i have heard "stories" of dogs losing their lives and i have seen photographs of dogs stacked two high in crates.

ive heard of dogs going to homes without home checks, ive heard of dogs removed from homes that proved to be unsuitable, i know of dogs coming from pounds direct to homes without any form of assessment or "rescue imput" and know of adoption fees being asked in these circumstances.

i dont know maggi, have never been to mill rescue and probably wont ever arrive there or at several other rescues across the UK.

my personal opinion, rightly or wrongly, is that terrible errors and mistakes were made at MR, dogs were not given the level of care deserved or expected and that cost 2 of them their lives.

evidence now suggests that maggi has taken that on board and is taking all steps needed to make the much needed changes in environment, education and care given at MR.

Whilst i agree, that history can not be forgotten, my personal thoughts are that if the "mistakes" have been learnt from and are not to be repeated, as individals, we perhaps need to move on.

MR isnt the first "rescue" that isnt a registered charity or non profit organisation, it isnt the first to take dogs from other rescues and Eire and it isnt the first i have heard of that has made such awful "mistakes".

The public have been made aware of the issues and the changes there, those that feel they would still like to adopt from MR are entitled to do so in the same way, those who choose not to are, ultimatley, "web site wars" wont change anything and "support" for a rescue doesnt come by means of "advertising" on a web site, but from the people who chose to adopt or not as the case may be.

i shall leave it there as i have a tendency to waffle, but will stress once more, that this is my personal opinion and feel that perhaps now is a good time to move on and work together to make life better for all dogs in need of rescue and rehoming :flowers:

Exactly what I was saying earlier to someone that runs a rescue that is a good friend of mine. :flowers:

Me too :flowers:

And I also believe Pingu and Hellys account of how it was when they visited :flowers:

And the accounts of people who had poorly dogs from there :(

And Yorkie Mums story of her foster.

But I also think it would be nice for Maggi to post about what went wrong and what has changed and how things will improve so that I can find it in my heart to believe that too.

But would you feel comfortable with posting that type of thing on a board such as DP that had slated you??

I know I'd feel uncomfortable with it.

I personally feel that Maggi's biggest mistake was not being able to say no to dogs that were going to be PTS. I don't think Maggi is a bad person, just that she hadn't got the experience she needed to cope. Shoot me down in flames if you want, but I have spoken with someone that is giving Maggi advice and she seems to be taking it.

I guess only time will tell.

In my opinion, (and yes I have worked on the front line in rescue in the past from 1983 to 1990 handling a lot of crap thrown, before the days of the internet) we can't not give Maggi the chance to recover from this.

Yes, mistakes were made no one is denying that, but surely the woman is trying to put things right. Give her a break!

I know even 1 doglet dying is tragic. But no amount of forum fighting is going to bring any back, sad but true.

We should be all in it for the same thing. So my opinion "yet again" is lets work together. :flowers:

Kazz xx

guess what...

Today is a new day and tommorrow hasn't happened yet

None of us have a time machine to go back and change anything

time to look forward and I'm sure if any of us on here can make a positive difference perhaps thats where our energies should be focused now

just my opinion of course :huh:

Thank you for that Sundaygirl :flowers: I would like to say tho I have read a few different accounts of rehomings from MR in the past stating experiences that were positive for those people rather than negative, and in those cases they are as entitled as those who had bad experiences to feel that their experience and feelings about MR are as valid as those of the people who's experience was negative, that can of course be seen as supporting past events that as it is their positive experience, but I would dispute that it means that they support any negative experiences that others may have had. It's simply a matter of their experience being different.

I am however glad to hear your girl is happy and well and wish you many years of joy with her :flowers:

thank you Snow for your kind thoughts on my girl :flowers:

As quite often happens with posts i think a part of what i have said has come across wrong though. I have no problem with anyone giving details of positive experiences with MR, in fact i would welcome them. The more good experiences quoted from any rescue the better as far as i am concerned :) Good experiences mean more dogs saved and what i am trying to get across is that at the end of the day that is what is important.

When i stated that i find some of the posts supporting MR difficult to read, i was thinking more of the ones that have been posted on other forums that seem to deny there has ever been a problem, because that then implies that individuals are lying about the condition of their dogs. I believe everything that anyone who details a positive experience has to say and all i ask is that people also believe that not everyones experiences were the same.

I know there are many people out there who's experiences will be in some cases worse and in other cases better than mine and i just feel that we should all feel some empathy with each other...at the end of the day we are all dog lovers...a positive experience brings as much joy as a bad experience brings heartache and i am thrilled for anyone who has adopted a dog from anywhere who has had a good experience. And on that note i am bowing out of this thread on any forum.

guess what...

Today is a new day and tommorrow hasn't happened yet

None of us have a time machine to go back and change anything

time to look forward and I'm sure if any of us on here can make a positive difference perhaps thats where our energies should be focused now

just my opinion of course :huh:

:flowers: Me too :flowers: Oops, sorry i have now bowed out :rolleyes:

I met Maggi a few times a good few years ago well before MR and she seemed to have good intententions.

BUT the problems I have been reading about have gone well beyond something that can be cleared up with a good sweep round and disinfect. Dogs were homed in a condition where they could barely stand and dogs returned as seriously ill were left until the following day to receive veterinary care - in the case of one dog he died for that reason - this was a dog struggling to breathe - there have been many comments about where this poor dog did spend his final night but it has not been disputed that a dog this ill was not taken straight to the vets as he certainly should have been. It is great to hear that comments have been taken on board and conditions appear to have improved but it concerns me that another incident like this could occur as I am just not confident Maggi has the necessary experience to really understand what she is seeing and doing. That dogs were homed in very poor condition like Mia and that poor Pip died are not disputed - they are fact and I have not seen that fact addressed anywhere. That seems to me to have been either basic neglect or lack of knowledge and either are equally dangerous.

I have no doubt that dogs were homed in good condition from MR and also no doubt that conditions were found to be good when you visited - however - there are more properties involved than were inspected and I have also heard about dogs in poorer condition being moved out of sight before visits so I am not 100% convinced that this means all is as well as it should be. Do the dogs you saw there match up with the dogs MR is advertising for rehoming? I can't see a rottie on the website? Did you ask about dogs such as Pip and Mia and can those answers be shared? Does Maggi admit to there being a crisis point with so many dogs being ill at the time this all came to light?

Please don't let this become yet another "our forum is better than yours" row - there have been far too many of those in the past and I for one fail to see how that is even vagually relevant to anything in this matter.

My friend recently rehomed a dog from another rescue which had to go straight to the vet and was quite unwell.Perhaps I should name and shame them?

However I don't see what is to be achieved by doing that.As in this case Di (Helly) and myself went to the rescue and looked around and found it to be better than we were expecting.Not perfect by any means but adequate.Big hearts meant they took on more dogs than they perhaps should have but then if they didn't we would condemn them for their pts policy.This place had a very clear policy that they do not pts any dogs.Hence why they had some dogs that were perhaps going to be very difficult to rehome.But these people were trying because they cared and loved dogs.

I trust Di & Rick to have told me the truth.They have no reason to lie and I believe neither of them would do so just to play God over a board war.I truly believe if either of them had gone to Mill and found it lacking they would have been the first to come back,be honest and tell us.They didn't find it lacking and I am sincerely very pleased about this as it means a rescue can be supported to stay open and save dogs lives.Look to the future people,don't drag through the same old ground day after day,nothing can change by doing that.

Edited by Kats inc