UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Jobless Family With 12 Kids Get £500,000 House

cheryl33

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite sure how to put down what i think yet so will come back when i know how to word it.

I did find this a very strange comment though: Mrs Gillespie, 36, added: "All our kids are in school and they want to make something of themselves and not just scrounge and live off the dole."

I don't think it's right that there is no incentive for people like this to work.But in a way I can understand why they would choose not to if it makes them worse off- it's the system that makes them better off to not work that's wrong in my opinion. Also,they decided to have so many children,seemingly without considering how they could afford them, no-one made them. If everyone behaved like this where would we all be?

I'd much rather my taxes went towards improving benefits for those who are genuinely unable to work, and improving public services (eg Health service), than providing incentives for fit and healthy people to make a lifestyle choice not to (as these seem to have).

Edited by Maria

What puzzled me about it was he said that when he works, he doesn't get enough money, so its not worth working. I thought the new system was that if there was a job suitable for you, and you didn't take it, that you lost your benefit? Apparently not in his case!

What puzzled me about it was he said that when he works, he doesn't get enough money, so its not worth working. I thought the new system was that if there was a job suitable for you, and you didn't take it, that you lost your benefit? Apparently not in his case!

Then if he doesn't get enough money to support all 12 kids then he should keep his flies zipped firmly shut.

Why should we support them. Fine if people are genuinely on benefits, but to deliberately not work is appalling IMHO.

Kazz xx

I have to admit that this sort of thing does make me mad.

I have 2 children and would have liked more, but realistically knew we couldn't afford more. I have 2 jobs, we do struggle, but have never claimed benefits. One of my jobs is in a school, we get parents who say they can't afford their children's uniforms as there are too many of them to buy for and for the same reason can't afford school trips. I am inclined to agree with you Kazz!!

so what do you make of this??

Makes me angry :angry: They clearly have no intention of working or trying to support themselves, so just keep breeding and bumping up their benefits.

Wonder how long before one of the kids burns their new house down :rolleyes:

yup, I agree too.

i think stories like this show what a soft touch this country is, I mean, after all, we give houses to people like this family and to foreigners who try to blow us up :wacko:

I work two jobs as well to try and survive, I cant afford to get on the housing ladder and the only help the council could give me is to put me in a hostel!!

While they may have more kids then they can afford to provide for themselves, the money they live on isnt anywhere near enough for 14 people. I work it to be around £2000 a month to feed clothe ect. Im not saying its right nor wrong.

On the other side of the coin the snobbery of the neighbours is out of order!

"They're the wrong sort of people for round here.

"Most people on the street are elderly and I think there's only one other family in the vicinity, but nowhere near as big as theirs.

"The general mood is that they're not wanted."

what i hate more than scroungers (particually when they hardly imo have the highlife) is snobbery.

i am so so mad

why should we pay for this ?

i am all up for helping any one in need and i under stand that some might need to stay on benefits

but i think what you come onto benefits on is it , if you want more kids then you know what go work for them

i have been on them and i don't think they pay anywhere what it takes to keep a home running but i would not have had a baby why on them knowing i could not get off them

what about all the people that do need help they get less because she wants more kids ?and a big house top sleep them all in ?

all wrong very very wrong , i am very sure that there are a lot of people out there that would have loved to have a house full of kids but have to stop at 1 ,2 ,3 ,4,5 because they can not pay or keep any more .

all wrong very wrong

One of my jobs is in a school, we get parents who say they can't afford their children's uniforms as there are too many of them to buy for and for the same reason can't afford school trips. I am inclined to agree with you Kazz!!

I think there's a vast difference between not being able to afford children full stop and not paying for school trips. Every year Dan and Connie's school does a 2 night trip which costs £100+ for each child - then there are pantos which cost £25 per child roughly, etc etc. They've been once (with help from the school) and I can't afford to send them again. I don't think that it's a necessary expense, but I do get sick of people judging us because we can't afford to send 3 kids every year. :(

I think there's a vast difference between not being able to afford children full stop and not paying for school trips. Every year Dan and Connie's school does a 2 night trip which costs £100+ for each child - then there are pantos which cost £25 per child roughly, etc etc. They've been once (with help from the school) and I can't afford to send them again. I don't think that it's a necessary expense, but I do get sick of people judging us because we can't afford to send 3 kids every year. :(

Totally with you on that one! My eldest has had two residential trips in 6 mths costing a few hundred pound. Plus the number of events the school have throughthe year where you have to pay something. Schools may be strapped for cash but so are many parents!

I forgot to add in my last post - on the subject of uniforms. Our school *only* has uniform available in school, they don't allow local uniform shops to supply it. People who have uniform vouchers off the council (through HB, CTB) *can't* buy uniform with those vouchers for our school because the school is not one of the listed outlets. So we have to waste £30 per child per year in the uniform shop on expensive knickers and socks that we wouldn't normally buy there, and then pay out of our living expenses for overly priced uniform at school (everything has to be school badged uniform with the exception of the trousers/skirts - it's a primary school and they even have to wear badged PE kit).

Edited by KathyM

Do schools still send out those letter saying that the payment for trips is a voluntary contribution but if you don't pay the kids can't go because the school can't afford it ?

My argument was why organise these things if they haven't got the money, oh and don't forget all the teachers and helpers go free, paid for in the child price :angry:

If this was a one off then I wouldn't be so annoyed, but there many more, I seem to remember one chap with 3 families all on income support and him not working just popping round from one to the next when.

£2000 may not be a lot for 14 people but they probably don't pay rent, council tax, get loads of other medical freebies that we all have to pay for out of much less, bumping that up by a fair bit.

And whose car is that parked in the drive, is that a necessity too

I dont really understand the benefits system and how entitlement works, but as far as I can tell - yes they would get free nhs costs such as free prescriptions, dental, travel to appointments etc, and yes rent paid and council tax paid, free school meals for the children and school uniform grants. Is Job Seekers Allowance only for people seeking work? in which case why is he getting it?