UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Why Was Rescuing A Staffie So Hard To Do? (long)

Tzumit

im not going to ask you to stay or go-that is entirely your own choice.

But personally i really enjoy and value the Refuge.

as for finding dog no 2-6 weeks really isnt that long-would you be saying oh sod it i wont bother if you had to wait for the car you really wanted ? or the right sofa ( bloody hell waiting for DFS to deliver id moved again!)

we are talking about a life time commitment-which you have made to past & current dogs which all being well will be years and years-so really 6 weeks is but a little time

fee

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The above quote I believe refers to RDR when you asked about fostering Stella. My response was as below:

Hi Sandi,

Thank you for contacting me :flowers: It's not that you are unsuitable, just too far away I am afraid. Stella will need to be backwards and forwards to the vet and for one I couldn't afford the prices down South!!

If anything goes wrong and we need to be there quickly or she needs to come back it wouldn't be handleable with her being so far away.

Sorry

Coryn xx[/i]

A reasonable and true response I feel :) She is still in a local foster home and has been backwards and forward to the vets numerous times and yes we do need help with vets fees as it still costs considerable money, although cheaper "up North".

I did not realise that you were offering anything other than to foster Stella :huh:

I did not intend to make this post personal and I mentioned no names when I posted trying to abide by the forum rules and it is yourself who has made the assumption for all to see that it could have been you, therefore I feel obliged to also reply here with the answer I sent.

From your statement above I can only imagine that you did not receive my reply to your colleague who wished to contact us further by email and phone in which my response was:-

Thank you for your email. I was advised to PM Coryn direct the other night after I had sent the enquiry via the website.

I received a reply from Coryn saying that we were too far away and the vet fees were too expensive down South.

When we offered Stella a place here I explained that we had not actually fostered before only adopted and we just assumed that if we took on the job of fostering her we would be obliged to foot any vets bills for her aftercare and any future problems, which my husband and I had discussed previously and agreed was not a problem knowing that we have the best vet (our opinion) coupled with the fact that I used to be a Vet Nurse. However, I understand that this obviously is not the case and we have been turned down on this occasion.

Thank you anyway for your nice reply and once again we wish you and Stella all the best wishes for a speedy recovery from the op.

Kind regards,

Sandi

If that is not offering anything other than to foster I do not know what is and am sorry that I was not eloquent enough for you to understand just how high a commitement we intended to give or I am also sorry that you did not receive the reply we made to you on PM and email.

Thus said we are still very much over the moon that you have cared for her (which we knew you would) and that Stella has made a brilliant recovery and is in a very loving foster home at the moment and we continue to keep our fingers crossed for her complete recovery.

The above quote I believe refers to RDR when you asked about fostering Stella. My response was as below:

Hi Sandi,

Thank you for contacting me :flowers: It's not that you are unsuitable, just too far away I am afraid. Stella will need to be backwards and forwards to the vet and for one I couldn't afford the prices down South!!

If anything goes wrong and we need to be there quickly or she needs to come back it wouldn't be handleable with her being so far away.

Sorry

Coryn xx

A reasonable and true response I feel :) She is still in a local foster home and has been backwards and forward to the vets numerous times and yes we do need help with vets fees as it still costs considerable money, although cheaper "up North".

I did not realise that you were offering anything other than to foster Stella :huh:

I am fostering Stella and she has been back to the vet quite a few times and is going again tomorrow morning, hopefully it will be the last time.

As to homing a bitch to a home with a bitch, I have 3 bitches of my own and Stella is the 4th bitch here. I have never had any problems with having more than 1 of any sex, I also have 2 dogs. One of my bitches is a Staffy/Cairn Terrier. I do know there are rescues that won't re-home if there is the same sex there, but it is something that I can't understand.

Please don't leave.

I have always found that if there is something I want and I lose out for whatever reason, it is usually because what is meant for me is just around the corner.

The reason (in my mind) that you have not been successful in your search for a Staffydoglet, is because the one who most needs what your family have to offer is yet available.

ie this baby could still be on the streets, could be in the pound, could be in a bad home. But your name is alongside his/hers.

And you will come on here anouncing his/her arrival and future Birthdays and Gotcha days, I firmly believe this, have some faith.

I did not intend to make this post personal and I mentioned no names when I posted trying to abide by the forum rules and it is yourself who has made the assumption for all to see that it could have been you, therefore I feel obliged to also reply here with the answer I sent.

From your statement above I can only imagine that you did not receive my reply to your colleague who wished to contact us further by email and phone in which my response was:-

Thank you for your email. I was advised to PM Coryn direct the other night after I had sent the enquiry via the website.

I received a reply from Coryn saying that we were too far away and the vet fees were too expensive down South.

When we offered Stella a place here I explained that we had not actually fostered before only adopted and we just assumed that if we took on the job of fostering her we would be obliged to foot any vets bills for her aftercare and any future problems, which my husband and I had discussed previously and agreed was not a problem knowing that we have the best vet (our opinion) coupled with the fact that I used to be a Vet Nurse. However, I understand that this obviously is not the case and we have been turned down on this occasion.

Thank you anyway for your nice reply and once again we wish you and Stella all the best wishes for a speedy recovery from the op.

Kind regards,

Sandi

If that is not offering anything other than to foster I do not know what is and am sorry that I was not eloquent enough for you to understand just how high a commitement we intended to give or I am also sorry that you did not receive the reply we made to you on PM and email.

I stand by the fact that I would not be willing to send an unassessed "poundie" to a foster home so far away where we could not offer back up if needed. I apologise if this offended you in anyway but all we can do is politely explain our reasoning and hope that you understand, which we did :)

With regards to you offering anything other than foster I was referring to your earlier post where you said:

three weeks later desperately seeking a home for the dog and posting that they have not received a single response.

Yes, she is still looking for a home but at no point have you expressed an interest (that I know of) in adopting her and that's what I was referring to when I said that I did not realise you were offering anything other than to foster. I don't quite understand why it was referred to that she is still seeking a home :unsure:

Thus said we are still very much over the moon that you have cared for her (which we knew you would) and that Stella has made a brilliant recovery and is in a very loving foster home at the moment and we continue to keep our fingers crossed for her complete recovery.

Thank you :flowers:

As to homing a bitch to a home with a bitch, I have 3 bitches of my own and Stella is the 4th bitch here. I have never had any problems with having more than 1 of any sex, I also have 2 dogs. One of my bitches is a Staffy/Cairn Terrier. I do know there are rescues that won't re-home if there is the same sex there, but it is something that I can't understand.

Two bull breed bitches here! They get on just great. Maybe we're lucky? I don't know. I can understand the reservation that rescues have with regards to bull breeds and bitches as I've heard a few stories myself but I wouldn't close all doors :flowers:

I wish you luck Tzumit. I really do :flowers:

I love Stella too and have followed her story and the fantastic work that Brunzara and Mrs Mop have done and will no doubt continue to do for countless other dogs.

Maybe there's a match made in heaven here, Stella and Tzumit, now that she's been given time to recooperate and be properly assessed? Sorry if this is out of turn? :flowers:

One here who in the main wouldnt home out a bitch to a home with a resident bitch :) i would in some circumstances but will be totally honest and say in yours i wouldnt for two reasons. One it would require constant watching when together and seperating when your not there. You are looking for a pair of dogs not two seperates which you would likely have. Two would be you have a greyhound with skin like tissue paper. Staffies play hard as you know and even if two bitches just had a grumble ehre and there, it could result in alot of damage. Sure a male may well do excactly that too but the most common reason sbts come into rescue is because they dont get on with same sex dogs...why risk your dog? Thats my thoughts anyway, may not be the thoughts of other rescues :)

Edited by A.L.L.I.E.

One here who in the main wouldnt home out a bitch to a home with a resident bitch i would in some circumstances but will be totally honest and say in yours i wouldnt for two reasons. One it would require constant watching when together and seperating when your not there.

To me this is what having dogs is about, protecting then and setting them up to succeed which managing them so that they stay safe. I never leave all 6 together on their own, they are always split into 2 groups but now Bonnie is older and more sensible, Tilly and Stella are crated when I go out. Merlin being a Greyhound is fast asleep and I don't know if he has realised I am gone or not, both Gracie and Joe are old dogs and want to sleep and Bonnie is also happy to sleep when I am gone now.

Staffies play hard as you know and even if two bitches just had a grumble ehre and there, it could result in alot of damage.

I think this can happen to any dogs not just Staffies or bitches which is why you have to manage them.

I have been attacked quite a few times on other boards because I manage my dogs, but dogs can learn a lot from being managed including some good manners. They get used to doing things a set way and when the management stops, if it has been done consistantly and long enough, the dog continues to act like the management is still in place. I also find it is less stressful to manage my dogs, I don't have to worry about what they will do or what I will come back to now that Merlin no longer shreds his bed :laugh:

I know I prob shouldnt think like this but in my mind staffies are probably harder to rehome than other dogs because there is a need to ensure the home is perfect for them and that nothing would happen that could possibly give the dog bad press. Am not saying that there is a likelyhood of a staffie attacking another dog or whatever more than any other - simply that it may just promote a bad image of the breed if one did. (ok cant really put it into words what i mean but maybe you get the point). Again though - 6 weeks isnt long to be looking so i would keep trying. I have 2 bitches here fair enough only 1 is a bull breed and she has grown up with the lab but there has never been a fight or so much as a disagreement with both dogs left on their own together at some point most days. Saying that I dont think i could leave any other dog on their own with phoenix.

staffies do play hard and make a lot of noise that i think it can be misinterpreted by other dogs as well resulting in fights - it has with phoenix anyway.

I can very much relate to your problem. When we looked for another Collie, and they are everywhere too, we encountered many problems.

The usual ones that the dogs are not good with kids or other dogs, but as well, I cannot recall how many pre-rehoming forms I filled out and how few rescues came back to me afterwards. When I chased it up some claimed never to have got them. So I sent them again. Still no reply from rescues.

I was so frustrated, that in the end I was even willing to look into getting a puppy (totally against my principles)

Nevertheless there were a few rescues which really tried and in the end we found our new member of the family around the corner.

I know it can be very frustrating and sometimes I was wondering why I never got a reply from certain rescues, but I am sure there is a dog out there for you. It might just take a bit longer for you to find it :)

Don't give up!