UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Why Was Rescuing A Staffie So Hard To Do? (long)

Tzumit

Although I'm not a rescue I do own a staffycross and greyhounds.

I know my sx bitch well enough to know that she just will not tolerate any other bitches [we do have another one but shes a very very submissive pointy otherwise theres no way it would work]. We've had first hand experience of the damage she can and will do :( this is an elderly dog with barely any teeth but she can inflict an awful lot of damage as Allie will confirm.

Anyway, others manage with more than one female so it might work for you, but it's not a risk I would take personally with mine.

Does your next dog have to be a staffie? maybe a greyhound would suit Ollie better?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don' give up yet :flowers:

It took about a year between us deciding to have a second dog, and actually finding her. We didn't visit as many as you did as we seemed to not get that far. We enquired after several, and 'missed out' on some due to missed phone calls inaccurate website info etc. We had actually decided to give up when we saw Smudge on the Many Tears site. We kept an eye on her and when after a couple of weeks she went into foster decided to enquire, as she seemed to have had no interest (which was unusual).

It sounds daft but I'm sure she was meant to be - in the space of a week we'd been 'interviewed' by phone, had a homecheck and then we went to meet her at the foster home. She came home with us, and her temperament has been the perfect match with Boysie.

The right dog is out there for you somewhere.....

Please don't give up yet, six weeks is nothing, it took me nearly four months to find the dog I wanted (an oldie) and I work in a rescue!

I think your frustration is maybe partly due to (understandable) preconceptions, i.e. we all know that there are too many dogs and not enough homes for them, this being even more so with Staffies, therefore, it should be a quick and easy process to get one?

However, each dog has its own needs and behaviours and each rescue wants to ensure that the dog goes to a home where they will fit in best. This doesn't mean that you are not a great home, far from it, but not all dogs will suit you and your human and canine family and the rescue has to consider this, they do not want the dog having to come back as its very stressful for them, it would also very strssful for you too.

Take a deep breath and carry on looking. at least now you know what to look for on the dog's descriptions - other dog friendly, preferably male, does not mind being left a few hours - that dog WILL be out there, it may not be next week, it may not even be this year but they will turn up one day.

There is that saying, "marry in haste, repent in leisure" and I think the same could be true when it comes to finding the dog for you. It would be awful if you did rush into adopting a dog and found yourself with serious problems, better to really put some time into it and find a perfect match.

Good luck in your search.

Ok you might not like this but.....

Finding ANY dog from a reputable source, and the right dog to fit into your existing human and canine family is not a quick process, not at ALL.

6 weeks..... exactly what is that in comparison to even say 18 months with the right dog?

If you were to go and buy a dog from a reputable breeder, as i plan on doing..... well its taken me the better part of five YEARS to find the breed i want, research it so i know exactly how that will fit in with my life, discuss pro's and cons of various lines with different breeders, research some more, go to KC shows to see dogs for myself, find a breeder who i get along with and who breeds the way i agree with, breeding the style of dog i like, (temperament comes first with me, i dont mean 'in a nice metallic blue with leather trim or anything), visiting that breeder a good few times..... researching the potential pedigree of the pup....

Will be 6 years by the time i get my pup and im well aware that things may not go to plan even now.

Finding the right dog in rescue is not easy at all - even without human errors which can and do happen adn the more humans involved the more of those there will be.

Trust me and others when we say, the right dog WILL come along, if it doesnt work out it wasnt meant to be - chill out and find some zen, you cant rush these things at all - hey what IS the rush..... you arent going anywhere?

It can be upsetting when people misunderstand what you say, but try not to forget that people who run rescues are human, and frequently they are rushed off their feet and may not interpret your email correctly.

It can be frustrating to find out a dog is not as it was advertised, but again, rescues are usually a series of volunteers and with them all being busy, mistakes do happen - they are not intentional and im sure no rescue here or anywhere sets out to make errors but when lots of busy people have little time to communicate, errors do happen.

And rescues do also have to base their judgements on past experience too - YOU might well be prepared to cover the vets fees for a foster, but past experience may have taught a rescue that people say these things and then freak out when a vets bill lands and is 100s....

Ive seen cases where perfectly sane sensible sounding people (no one on here!), have flipped out and demanded that a rescue drive several hundred miles and remove a foster dog overnight. (not for a second suggesting you would do that, but how do the rescue know - sadly the world is full of people who say all the right things on the phone and in emails and turn out to be total loony tunes!)

Why not foster for a rescue close to you? Then you can be helping out rescue dogs whilst waiting for that forever buddy to show up?