UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Still Feeding Bakers?

ClazUK

The law has recently changed and animal foodstuff manufacturers can no longer list 'permitted colours/additives' on products sold in quantities greater than 10 kilos.

I've been banging on like Jamie Oliver to my customers (and the new greyhound homes) about the additives in food like Bakers for a long time. If a dog comes to stay here with skin problems, hyperactivity, snotty eyes, gunky ears, you can almost guarantee that they are being fed additives. I do my best to persuade change, but I'm pretty sure I'm the "mad dog food lady" round here :rolleyes:

Well, Bakers and the like can no longer say "permitted X Y Z", they now have to TELL us the shite they put in their food and, at last, I can now show it to the people who doubted it.

At the end of the day, dogs don't give two hoots if their food is bone shaped, heart shaped or brightly coloured; this is done as a marketing ploy for the buyers. As a responsible pet owner and kennel owner, I am not happy to feed dogs in my care THIRTEEN E numbers:

bakerslist.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, Bakers is shite! Most E number are artificial additives but there are some that are natural a.g E406 is agar, often extracted from seaweed, used as a thickening agent. I think giving something an E number isn't the best thought out system.

:GroupHug: kats n greys

I posted a while back about the man with the Rhodesian Ridgeback who was feeding Bakers, the dog had a horrible skin complaint and was hyper, I told him it was likely the Bakers doing it and he said he,d take Zac straight off it.

I saw him a few days ago, Zacs skin complaint is gone, and I mean totally, and he,s a lot calmer, he,s feeding him Autarky now. (now all Ive got to do is convert him to barf :biggrin: )

Another dog owner I know feeds Bakers and his dog is totally menthol :wacko: but he wont listen, says Bakers is a good food :rolleyes:

A step in the right direction hopefully , i just wonder how many people bother to check the labels on dog food rather than listening to the tv ad's :(

I have always hated Bakers , when Storm first came to me as a foster dog he was around 80 Kilos and was so lathargic carrying all the extra weight he was carrying , i made a good guess that he had been fed bakers and i was right , i ow a lot of dogs can be hyper on it but he was just too fat to be bothered :(

I was given a box of bakers which he did not get i changed that straight away and got him on a much healthier diet , diet being the opperative word , he has lost nearly 15 kilos and is a lot fitter faster and happier these days , when i think to how overweight he was i could still cry for him he lumbered everywhere and would lie down after walking for about 10 minutes :(

Just a shame these dog food companies could not be made to take all the E numbers and the rest of the crap out of their food so then people who know no better would be able to feed a better diet to their dogs instead of going by tv ads :(

Fiona xx

Claz I am like you, everyone I meet who has a dog if the conversation comes round to food then I bang on about natural feeding because it is something I am passionate about. They probably all think I am the maddogfoodwoman too :rolleyes:

At least they now have to show what sh*te their food is and hopefully it will put more people off buying it, though not sure how many people would actually bother to read what is in it anyway :unsure:

Edited by madmerle