UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Still Feeding Bakers?

ClazUK

I'm sure there's a mentality which thinks that if the supermarket sells it and lots of other people use it, it must be OK.

Perhaps we should be lobbying the supermarkets to stock some of the better brands of dog food? Our local Tescos stocks Bakers, Pedigree and their own brand (which is coloured like a tube of smarties :unsure: ). If they sold a brand I was happy to use, I would probably buy from them rather than make a special trip elsewhere for dog food. There must be lots of other people in that position.

At least then people who want to do all their shopping in one place would see there is more choice - and as Ange said some of the better foods are also better value.

Why ot write a letter petition to all the big supermarkets and everybody who is interested put their name down.

I can imagine that if many dog owners write to them, they might change their policy. They might not even be aware of the problem.

I know a friend of mine lately mailed to Asda to say how positively surprised she was, that all their easter stuff was made from free range eggs and she got a really nice reply.

As the stores today rely on the customers input, maybe it is worth a try.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have noticed my local Tesco is now selling Natures Menu dried complete :)

Does anyone know why *good* foods are not sold in supermarkets :unsure:

I didn't know Nature's Menu made a dried complete. Acording to their website they make a mixer type biscuit, but not a complete.......

*Good* foods tend not to have the 'clout' the larger manufacturers do, and can't afford the penalties supermarkets impose if things go pear shaped.

My friends mothers westie has been fed on this rubbish for years and I have told them before they should change her to something more natural. At last they are taking heed and trying her on Burns.

She does have gunky ears and terribly itchy skin which they never associated with the food.

I think you have to careful in not getting too 'hung up' on the too much protein debate.

It's really, more about what is the ingredient that is being made up as protein and it's quality that is relevant - then you have to understand how protein works in your dog's body.

Personally, I'm more concerned about the cheap ingredients that are in the food i.e the fillers (low grade cereals etc) animal derivatives - Yeah right - what does that mean? - why not name the animal and parts of it that have been ground up - is it sheep, goat, rat/hoof, beak etc - why can't manufacturer's tell us?

It is also very important to understand the chemicals that are added and what their potential affects are - they are often the culprits for hyperactivity etc.

And then you have to understand your carbohydrates, Enzymes, Fatty Acids, Amino Acid etc - in other words all the nutritional lingo particularly if you are thinking of issuing some form of leaflet for distribution to outlets - you must know your subject and what you are talking about backed up with evidence.

Have you ever wondered how manufactured food is put together? If you look here it will tell you and it is certainly interesting ....

http://www.fediaf.org/Pages/prepared.html

and have you ever wondered where our prepared food is made over here in the UK? - well it's here: http://www.goldenacres.co.uk/home/default.asp

Hope this is thought provoking. For those of you who are like me :biggrin: and find this an interesting subject if you can get hold of a copy of Canine Nutrition - What Every Owner, Breeder and Trainer Should Know by Lowell Ackerman, DVM it will explain things a little more clearer as to what protein etc actually is.

This should keep you all out of trouble now for the rest of the afternoon .....

Sandra :flowers:

I've just chucked this all together in a Word Document to give to my customers who feed Bakers. I'm seriously considering keeping some on me for when I'm in Asda :laugh:

Good idea :hehehmn:

Is there anybody who can list the E-numbers for pedigree please? I'll give you a bunch of flowers :flowers: :laugh:

Why ot write a letter petition to all the big supermarkets and everybody who is interested put their name down.

I can imagine that if many dog owners write to them, they might change their policy. They might not even be aware of the problem.

I know a friend of mine lately mailed to Asda to say how positively surprised she was, that all their easter stuff was made from free range eggs and she got a really nice reply.

As the stores today rely on the customers input, maybe it is worth a try.

good idea, and if a poor response is got from the big 4 supermarkets how about an e-petition on the downing street website.

I tell all the dog owners i know about bakers and pedigree too. Also Iams is no good for westies, in fact some of the rehomed westies I have had pass through my door have been on all this stuff.

I usually have them for about a week so I get the chance to wean them off it, bin the rest and hand over the dog with about 4 days worth of my own dogs stash of food (james wellbeloved wheat free, gluten free, hypo-allergenic etc) telling the new owners to keep them on it as it helps with skin (especially with westies) and behavour too..

I think you have to careful in not getting too 'hung up' on the too much protein debate.

It's really, more about what is the ingredient that is being made up as protein and it's quality that is relevant - then you have to understand how protein works in your dog's body.

Personally, I'm more concerned about the cheap ingredients that are in the food i.e the fillers (low grade cereals etc) animal derivatives - Yeah right - what does that mean? - why not name the animal and parts of it that have been ground up - is it sheep, goat, rat/hoof, beak etc - why can't manufacturer's tell us?

It is also very important to understand the chemicals that are added and what their potential affects are - they are often the culprits for hyperactivity etc.

And then you have to understand your carbohydrates, Enzymes, Fatty Acids, Amino Acid etc - in other words all the nutritional lingo particularly if you are thinking of issuing some form of leaflet for distribution to outlets - you must know your subject and what you are talking about backed up with evidence.

Have you ever wondered how manufactured food is put together? If you look here it will tell you and it is certainly interesting ....

http://www.fediaf.org/Pages/prepared.html

and have you ever wondered where our prepared food is made over here in the UK? - well it's here: http://www.goldenacres.co.uk/home/default.asp

Hope this is thought provoking. For those of you who are like me :biggrin: and find this an interesting subject if you can get hold of a copy of Canine Nutrition - What Every Owner, Breeder and Trainer Should Know by Lowell Ackerman, DVM it will explain things a little more clearer as to what protein etc actually is.

This should keep you all out of trouble now for the rest of the afternoon .....

Sandra :flowers:

That's really interesting Sandra,

I am quite interested in nuitrition. Will see if I can find out a bit more about things.

That's really interesting Sandra,

I am quite interested in nuitrition. Will see if I can find out a bit more about things.

It is a HUGE subject Akitas - but once you get a basic understanding (and even then I still get confused) - all these manufacturers are very clever with words - another dodgy one that is open to different interpretation is when they state 'Natural' - hmm when you look into it 'Natural', 'Natural' may not be 'Natural' in the sense we understand the word - I'll have to try and remember where I saw some info on this. And another one to look into is for e.g 'meat meal', so you will have something like min 4% chicken listed (but does this mean, chicken breast or any other part of a chicken? then later it says 'chicken meal'. What does that mean? and why doesn't it just come under the 4% chicken - why is it separate?

Mind blowing.

I'll try and find those other links but will have to do later as I have to pop out now. Research 'Cereals' - what cereals - why can't they say 'Corn' or whatever (I know some do but many don't). and get an understanding of 'Derivatives' - what does that mean? And I think I'm correct in saying, there are some ingredients they don't have to list ..........

I feed Burns but even Burns are probably open for criticism too along with all the others and they're all in competition with one another but at least there are ones who are far superior than others.

Oh heck, you'll be busy all night now! :biggrin:

Sandra :rolleyes:

My friends mothers westie has been fed on this rubbish for years and I have told them before they should change her to something more natural. At last they are taking heed and trying her on Burns.

She does have gunky ears and terribly itchy skin which they never associated with the food.

Whilst I agree there is some crap put into many of the supposed quality brands I think Westies are perhaps prone to skin problems to be fair. My sister had a little Westie for many years only ever fed her on fresh chicken & ryveta but she still had to use a coal tar based shampoo as she got older.

Thanks for this, would you believe that yesterday I had a chat on the phone with my MIL who said she had changed her dogs food (4 loopy Border Terrorists) cos they might fancy a change :huh: .

She changed from Burns to Bakers :ohmy: but had noticed they were doing much more poo....

I emailed her a copy of the packet pic, think the bakers went in the bin. What great timing, her dogs are mad enough anyway without all those extras :rolleyes:

I hope you don't mind but i have copied some of the info for a friend :flowers:

she feeds her dog on bakers and when i look after her for two weeks while she was away it was like living with a squirrel on speed :wacko:

When we first got Lucky he had been feed on that stuff and because you are told not to change there food as puppies we didn't what a big mistake that was he was climbing the wall so at 6mths changes where made and now a much happier dog :biggrin:

Alot of people think there dogs like the taste and colours of bakers what a lot of c**p the dog really doesn't care :rolleyes:

would you feed your child a food like that with all those e numbers in i wouldn't :angry:

As for the company changing the way they produce Bakers, it is made by Nestle Purina. If you don't know the depths they stoop to to keep/increase their market share, take a look at this.

I am very aware that Nestle is a very "dodgy" company, and have been a member of Baby Milk Action for many years, due to their bad practices of giving free samples of powdered milk out to new Mums in developing countries, where they cannot afford a bottle, let along get access to clean drinking water.

My daughter feeds dry Purina House Cat, and I am disgusted. She lost confidence in feeding Burns once, when hers had a water infection each, probably brought on by her having some visitors to stay one weekend. But if you read the small print on the packet it mentions something about not allowing the feed to come into contact with farm animals!

I never feed any food from the supermarket apart from Glenryck pilchards, mackeral or tuna fish. Two reasons, it is rubbish quality and not ethically produced.