UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Still Feeding Bakers?

ClazUK

I have to be dragged away from people I see buying these foods, I have this compulsion to go and ask them if they know what is in the food they are buying. Unfortunately Arran was being fed pedigree puppy before I got him and as he has had an upset tummy I have kept him on it for a couple of weeks, he is fine now and will be getting gradually changed over to Robbies sometime this week.

Terri

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is actually part of the Wiccaweys adoption agreement now to never feed your dog Bakers Complete - it's always been in our adoption literature - but I made it part of the agreement a few months back.

"The Guardian will feed and house the dog to 'Wiccaweys' satisfaction, and the dog shall not be kept chained up, or kennelled – they are to live as part of the family in the home. Do NOT feed your Wiccaweys Collie ‘Bakers Complete’ dog food."

That's how strongly we feel about the bloody stuff.

Basically we tell people to steer clear of anything sold in a supermarket - and have a list of recomment foods (collie minded of course) that we give to people.

Their dog doesn't give a rats arse what their food looks like.... "Hummm, I think I'll eat the red bone shaped bits first to day - followed by the yellow triangles" Cobblers!

Totally with you on this one Claz. I too bang on to everyone about how bad Bakers is and have managed to stop at least 3 people feeding it to their dogs.

Archie was on it when we got him (the puppy variety) we didn't know then just how crap it was and his behaviour was manic. However it didn't take me long to cotton on and get him onto a decent diet.

These additives should be banned from pet food as a animal welfare issue.

Marion

About 4 weeks ago I suggested to a collegue she change her dog from Bakers (he was overweight and had behavioural issues)...she's now feed him chappie and is shocked by the difference. He's calmer, he's lost weight and his behaviour is 100% improved (well she had also started bringing him for walks with the rabble...so any dogs behavour looks good compared to them!!! :laugh: )

I admit I used to feed Cromwell it when I first got him, would be very interesting to know if he'd of been quiet such a handful if I'd of had him on something else. :huh:

Unfortuately my brother had to learn the 'hard' way. When he got his GSD pup they wouldn't listen to me about Bakers. It was easy to get with the main shopping, and the fact that Jake picked at it, was hyper, and had bad skin wasn't anything to do with what he was eating.

It wasn't until he had developed a list of allergies as long as your arm, and the vet suggested a prescription diet that they finally listened.

When I homecheck I advise all potential adopters against using it.

I can't stand Bakers, and if i see people buying it i always tell them, or state very loudly to my friend how crap it is. I looked after my brothers lab the other week and he was feeding her on it till i told him about it and he is now changing it slowly :angry:

Claz please can i have permission to Xpost

A step in the right direction, I hope it will be law for ALL labels soon, not just over 10 kg...

I too always inform dog owners (particularly also in our classes) about dog foods like Bakers, Pedigree etc. Many take the advice and change their dog's food, but I always find it sad to meet people again later on and their dogs are still (or again) on rubbish food...

Vera

Edited by LurcherGirl

Claz please can i have permission to Xpost

Please DO crosspost - I'm quite passionate about this.

I truly believe bad diets contribute to the amount of dogs in rescue due to bad behaviour, and the amount of dogs on meds (or PTS) because of allergies.

I truly believe bad diets contribute to the amount of dogs in rescue due to bad behaviour, and the amount of dogs on meds (or PTS) because of allergies.

Have to agree. We have had several apparent "uncontrollables" and a change in diet is often all it takes.

TASTE THE RAINBOW!! :wacko:

I'll crosspost this too as you're ok about it :flowers:

Couldn't agree more - I'm the mad dog woman of East Lothian, I get so many weird looks when I start about additives and general crap that goes into "dog food" What amazes me is that people insist on continuing to feed their dogs it when they can read, have computers, etc, etc....... I can only try.

I have just read the list of e-numbers out to Ruby, who works for Cumberland pencils and she's gobsmacked that 3 pigments that they use to colour pencils are in the list - iron oxide, titanium dixoide and carbon black. Food colourings she could understand, tho they shouldn't be necessary, but not actual pigments.

Marion