UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Rescue Who Also Breeds?

EGAR

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to live by my own concience.

Im not going to be swayed and if money is with held to any sanctuary because they wont give in to financial bullying then I hope there will be a million better people who will step up and I for one would support a sanctuary who felt strongly enough about moral issues

I choose not to support breeding,as far as Im aware lots of rescues feel the same.

I am not a rescue but totally agree with your views.

There are so many dogs dying for want of good homes. A dog to me is four/sometimes three legs and fur and that is it. Breed/croos whatever makes no difference.

Alot of breed rescues are also breeders, that is why I have excluded them with my initial post.

I do have a problem with the scenario but I have a specific one in mind which I will, of course, not name. In which the rescue crossed a rescue male with a breeder bought female to *keep the line alive*, both dogs were of a different breed :wacko: so what the rescue got as endresult were xbred dogs. Now, the selfsame rescue has a litter of PB pups and will sell them to people as far as in the States.

My mind boggles at this.

I have often said that I have a problem with irresponsible breeding and that I have met very few good breeders who do health checks, have a litter every once in a blue moon and look after their pups lifelong should the need arise. But I think we can all agree that such breeders are few and far between. Yet, they do exist.

However, the rescue/breeding scenario I have described above is a real one and it sickens me.

Sarah

Edited by EGAR

I do have a problem with the scenario but I have a specific one in mind which I will, of course, not name. In which the rescue crossed a rescue male with a breeder bought female to *keep the line alive*, both dogs were of a different breed :wacko: so wha tthe rescue got as endresult were xbred dogs. Now, the selfsame rescue has a litter of PB pups and will sell them to people as far as in the States.

Breeding from a rescue dog like that is wrong and breeding to end up with xbred pups makes it worse IMO.

There can be no possible justification for a rescue breeding from rescue dogs or breeding crossbreed pups; that is totally unacceptable under any circumstances. They should be named and shamed (but not here, obviously) :angry:

I do have a problem with the scenario but I have a specific one in mind which I will, of course, not name. In which the rescue crossed a rescue male with a breeder bought female to *keep the line alive*, both dogs were of a different breed :wacko: so what the rescue got as endresult were xbred dogs. Now, the selfsame rescue has a litter of PB pups and will sell them to people as far as in the States.

My mind boggles at this.

I suspect you won't find many, if any, people on here disagreeing with your thoughts on this. I find it bizarre and it makes me question what on earth they must think rescue is all about, to have acted in such a way.

I am not surprised it sickens you Sarah :GroupHug:

That is just so wrong and totally unacceptable , but sadly they probably wont be the only ones doing this , there is no way they can justify it or even have the right to call themselves a rescue in my opinion :angry:

Sadly things like this only make it harder for reputable rescues who day in day out do the best they can for the dogs in their care , no matter what breed / xbreed they are and whats even worse is that people who know nothing about the rescue situation will not see anything wrong in this, no wonder some people become disillusioned with the world of rescue when they see so called rescues getting away with these kind of things :(

Fiona xx

That is just so wrong and totally unacceptable

Sadly things like this only make it harder for reputable rescues who day in day out do the best they can for the dogs in their care , no matter what breed / xbreed they are and whats even worse is that people who know nothing about the rescue situation will not see anything wrong in this, no wonder some people become disillusioned with the world of rescue when they see so called rescues getting away with these kind of things

My sentiments too!

There is a "rescue" very near me who is part of the southwales rescue mafia in crowd.

They dont rescue much now thank god, but still collect money. They had a GSD bitch and they were openly asking around

for a nice dog to breed with her.

They had cages stacked on cages in thier kitchen with birds and a fox in.They spay the foxes and turn them loose up here so eventually the farmers organise a hunt because a very hungry fox who has no clue how to care of itself will take farm cats

and anything with a pulse.

They sell dogs from a shop to walkins with no home checks or contracts.

When the RSPCA were backing up a court order against an individual who was banned from keeping animals this place went in and stashed some dogs for the individual.

The ones that were taken out properly we had some here and they were feral (Owl will back me up )

Often these rescue breeding places survive because of who they know and how useful they are to those in rescue who collect data and generally terrorise others in rescue.

The mentality is often not how good a rescue is but more how protected they are.

The RSPCA is very aware of this place but cannot do anything because nothing is collapsed more just used to provide an income. The moral is never believe what you are told but check facts yourself because often what you are told is ok isnt.

Ask a rescue what its thoughts are with regard to popping the odd pup and you may be surprised but at least then you have the choice according to your concience.

I truly understand how sickened you are Sarah, I feel the same.

I have to live by my own concience.

Im not going to be swayed and if money is with held to any sanctuary because they wont give in to financial bullying then I hope there will be a million better people who will step up and I for one would support a sanctuary who felt strongly enough about moral issues

I choose not to support breeding,as far as Im aware lots of rescues feel the same.

A few questions, if anyone can make me understand these points of view... or is willing to try.

I can not understand how taking a donation from a breeder is supporting breeding? And I also can't understand why rehoming a dog (who will obviously be spayed/neutered) to someone who breeds is supporting breeding? You are turning away potentially really good life long homes for dogs with this attitude. I thought the DOGS needs came first? This really shouldn't be about "us" and "them" (me being a "them" with my breeder bought dog), it should be about finding good homes for dogs in need. If you honestly seriously think that a person cannot be a good dog owner because they breed, and therefor turn them down for a dog, then homes will get lost in the process.

I am against rescues breeding, it shouldn't even be an issue if you ask me!! But it happens. The scenario Sarah puts up is just down right rediculous, producing crossbreed puppies "to keep a line alive", there is no sense in that at all.

A few questions, if anyone can make me understand these points of view... or is willing to try.

I can not understand how taking a donation from a breeder is supporting breeding? And I also can't understand why rehoming a dog (who will obviously be spayed/neutered) to someone who breeds is supporting breeding? You are turning away potentially really good life long homes for dogs with this attitude. I thought the DOGS needs came first? This really shouldn't be about "us" and "them" (me being a "them" with my breeder bought dog), it should be about finding good homes for dogs in need. If you honestly seriously think that a person cannot be a good dog owner because they breed, and therefor turn them down for a dog, then homes will get lost in the process.

I am against rescues breeding, it shouldn't even be an issue if you ask me!! But it happens. The scenario Sarah puts up is just down right rediculous, producing crossbreed puppies "to keep a line alive", there is no sense in that at all.

Well the main problem in here seems to be not what you actually do but more what people want to think you do so you can get attacked.

I dont have an attitude I simple home horses and occasionally dogs

I donate to a few rescue, mainly on here and I am sure that none of those rescues are also breeders. If I was sure that any were I would never donate again.

I donate to help with the costs of rescue and finding homes for the dogs, I would never willingly contribute to a breeder bringing anotehr dog into the world when so many are being thrown away.

Well the main problem in here seems to be not what you actually do but more what people want to think you do so you can get attacked.

I dont have an attitude I simple home horses and occasionally dogs

My post was not aimed at you personally, but I see now how it could have com across that way. I was asking anyone with your viewpoint, or someone who could explain to me the logic in your viewpoint, it was not an attack, don't know why you think it was?

This is a discussion forum, so we are discussing things and exchanging ideas. We do not all agree on the same things, although we all agree that deliberate cross breeding is silly, along with numpties who breed only for profit. I never meant for you to feel like you have to defend yourself. Defense is for when attacked, explanations for when discussing.

Having been bullied yesterday on it I was begining to get irritated so Im glad we are ok.

Equally I cannot understand the view point that its ok to keep bringing more lives into the world.

The general suggestion is that it only happens to other breeders animals.

Ive had a £32,000 event horse here for loan as well as Royal welsh winners.Hoys contenders and a pony that represented Holland.

Not sure about the dogs other than we have some that attract a lot of attention so must fit the bill also often we show our inmates at local shows and they win.

All animals have equal chance of ending up in rescue regardless of who breeds it. I have some of the queens jersey linage here. By stating that I do not agree with breeding in conection with the rescue then Im doing my job. I can still look at foals and puppies and think how cute they are but I can do so with a clear concience.

Edited by Trallwm farm

OK, no identification of the person concerned, but I know someone who does a great deal of rehoming and rehabilitation of a certain breed for a national animal charity.

She also breeds her own line of that breed that are quite highly sought after.

Why she would do that, I don't know, but that's not the worst of it.

She had a cruelty case bitch of a different but similar breed come in and she kept her as she wasn't fit to be rehomed. She wasn't spayed and one of her own dogs got to her and a litter of crossbreeds ensued. I know one of the pups and it is very nervous, as is the bitch, I'm told.

Even worse, that pup has not been spayed and the owner was thinking about breeding from her, but hasn't, thankfully. Still not spayed though.

And the bitch herself? I know she has since had at least one other litter (deliberate repeat mating, I think) because I was offered one when I was looking for a rescue. I may also have been able to buy one her own bred dogs that she had run on, but with breeding conditions.

I stuck to my principles and got my rescue through her.

Her behaviour is indefensible IMO (and I wasn't even going to mention that she uses a shock collar on behavioural referrals) but, and it's a very big but, it's undeniable that she does a lot of good work and a lot of money is raised in my circles to support her rescue work (and I don't doubt that's where it goes because it is donated to the charity) because she is held in high regard.

I don't want to rock the boat by blackening her name because she does a lot more good than harm and if the money that is raised for her work were to be reduced, dogs that she might otherwise have helped would inevitably suffer.

So I bite my lip. I don't like it. I don't approve at all. But it's not a black and white situation.

Pam