UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Rescue Who Also Breeds?

EGAR

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know of a Dane rescue that does and Im really uncomfortable about it.

I wont even allow breeders of any sort on my site and I cannot get my head round how on one hand these people are helping to save animals whilst on the other they are producing more. I think it may be the age old arrogance of breeders that thier produce is "special "

Dunno.....

Actually, yes i do.

As long as they breed to improve the breed, breed to keep a pup to show rather than breed to sell the lot, complete all health checks, offer lifetime back up for the pups etc etc, then i think that isnt a problem.

Turn it on its head, rather than a rescue who breeds (which is seen as bad), how about a breeder who rescues.......

Surely, if every breeder also did their fair share of rescuing, wouldnt that be a good thing?

Or is the thinking that if you breed you shouldnt rescue, and then where are we? Surely people rescuing is a good thing as long as its done properly?

Well I do have issues with it. Even if the breeders are "responsible" (the only "responsible breeder" in my books is one who doesn't breed) and they have waiting lists for the pups that they breed, those are still potential homes for rescue dogs, at which people would (hopefully) look more closely if they weren't so absorbed with getting a puppy of the particular breed they fancy. As long as there are 1000's of healthy, homeable dogs being put to sleep every year, simply because they are "surplus to requirement", I cannot see any justification for bringing more dogs into this world. Being a rescue as well as a breeder, i.e. putting more pups into the world while being confronted every day with dogs that are in desperate need for homes is, in my opinion, hypocrisy of the highest order.

What would you make of a rescue who also breeds dogs? And I do not mean breed rescues. I am looking forward to your opinions on this subject and I posted it in controversial as I think it might get heated.

Personally I think it depends on circumstances. My sister for example 6months or so ago bought a Bernese Mountain Dog puppy. She was recommended a couple of breeders by one of the breed rescues - they are breeders who then choose to help rescue unfortunate Bernese rather than a rescue who then chose to start breeding. I'd have no problem with that.

You may not agree with it but the fact is some people do have reservations about rehoming rescue dogs - misguided perhaps but nonetheless true. If these people want a puppy then they are perfectly entitled to make that choice & personally I'd rather see a genuine dog lover breeding responsibly than some muppet who is only interested in how much cash he can get out of the poor dogs.

Another case I've read of apparently implied that a "rescue" was being operated by a less than reputable breeder because they had to license the breeding kennels whilst the rescue ones didn't need licensing. It had been reported to the authorities that they saw no evidence of a single rescue dog on these premises.

There's surely a very clear difference in the two.

What would you make of a rescue who also breeds dogs? And I do not mean breed rescues. I am looking forward to your opinions on this subject and I posted it in controversial as I think it might get heated.

You say you're not talking about breed rescues Sarah, so do you mean someone who runs a general rescue centre who also happens to have a KC type registered pedigree dog which they breed from? Or someone running a general rescue centre who is breeding from the rescue dogs that they take in - eg crossbreeds, dogs without papers or healthchecks etc.? :unsure:

You say you're not talking about breed rescues Sarah, so do you mean someone who runs a general rescue centre who also happens to have a KC type registered pedigree dog which they breed from? Or someone running a general rescue centre who is breeding from the rescue dogs that they take in - eg crossbreeds, dogs without papers or healthchecks etc.? :unsure:

Personally I wouldn't necessarily see any problem with the former as long as dogs were properly cared for whilst the latter is obviously something no reputable rescue would ever do

I DO have a problem with a 'rescue' who uses a 'rescue' dog to breed from, no matter how well bred it is.

I DON'T have a problem with a breeder using one of their own carefully chosen dogs to breed to selected lines and, separately, also rescuing dogs in need.

Edited by Katiebob

I know of a Dane rescue that does and Im really uncomfortable about it.

I wont even allow breeders of any sort on my site and I cannot get my head round how on one hand these people are helping to save animals whilst on the other they are producing more. I think it may be the age old arrogance of breeders that thier produce is "special "

Lesley, does that mean then that you won't accept help for an animal in need from someone who happens to be a breeder ?

Without people wanting puppies of a specific breeding there would not be breeders, therefore do you also have the same reaction to people who have bought puppies.

Both, Ange, both.

If someone who runs a rescue also has a dog or dogs which they responsibly breed from I can't see a problem.

Breeding from dogs which are rescues is a different thing altogether.

The only place my local rescue can rent kennel space from (due to lack of resources) is from kennels where the owner does boarding, occasionally breed and run their own breed rescue.Ideally the rescue would be able to have their own dedicated kennels, but they just don't have the money available.

If they didn't have these kennels to rent there would be a lot of dogs from a wide catchment area who would have nowhere else to go. It's not ideal, but should these dogs be left with nowhere to go because of what the owner of the kennels does?

If so, one of my dogs would probably have been pts at age 5 due to living in the wrong area.

Edited by Maria

Lesley, does that mean then that you won't accept help for an animal in need from someone who happens to be a breeder ?

To the best of my ability no.

We had some dogs here last year that were part of an RSPCA case and we all thought the dogs would be seized and were in fact held here for RSPCA inspection but sadly although some could be some couldnt and I wouldnt release the dogs untill they were signed over to someone else.

I am particularly sickened by rescues that not only pop puppies out but also sell dogs on without medical records. Ive actually reported two such Dane places to some people who are recording and have been collating similar complaints and guess what ? Its been reported several times before

Mod edit. Lesley... you know the rules...