UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Rescue Who Also Breeds?

EGAR

Having dealt with a dippy breeder who ran the breed rescue and dealing with the terrible conditions her dogs faced I would never ever trust a breeder who runs rescue.

Following on from your logic, I know of more than one 'reputable' and well known rescue whose dogs are kept in less than ideal conditions, given minimal Vet care and sometimes after being with the rescue for quite sometime are then homed in appalling condition. These are not rescues who also breed. Therefore would it be sensible to say 'never trust a rescue' ? According to your logic it would.

I cannot mention any names here but my experience in the past with certain breeds has been that because the 'rescuer' also breeds they quite often turn their back on a dog in need when it doesn't look a 'typical specimen' :angry:

I can think of plenty who take a dog of their breed and sometimes a cross of their breed, whatever it looks like, provided they have room.

I just feel that its my responsibility to stay as far away from breeders as is possible.

So, you would never home another type of animal to someone who breeds - either regularly or occasionally ? You would never accept a donation from someone who breeds - either regularly or occasionally ?

I'll also ask again, as you didn't previously answer. Do you extend these principles to people who have bought puppies because without the buyers there would be no breeders ?

But I dont and wont add to the ever increasing volume of dogs waiting to be killed and that also means by stating my viewpoint others may think twice about breeding or supporting breeders.

I also understand that my view point is individual so as much as I would like to it wont stop ALL breeders so stopping also the neccessity of GSDfan posting that without breeders there would be no dogs !

Well, I'm going to say it anyway :biggrin: Without breeders there would be no dogs. Not something I wish to see. Attitudes such as yours and a few others are the type of attitude that may eventually stop good caring breeders from breeding. The attitude won't of course put off the ones who churn out puppies from any available dog and don't give a monkeys about their welfare.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only place my local rescue can rent kennel space from (due to lack of resources) is from kennels where the owner does boarding, occasionally breed and run their own breed rescue.Ideally the rescue would be able to have their own dedicated kennels, but they just don't have the money available.

If they didn't have these kennels to rent there would be a lot of dogs from a wide catchment area who would have nowhere else to go. It's not ideal, but should these dogs be left with nowhere to go because of what the owner of the kennels does?

If so, one of my dogs would probably have been pts at age 5 due to living in the wrong area.

So, quoting myself here as no-one has responded to this question....

Should my local rescue shut down? And leave dogs in a wide catchment area not covered by any other rescue to an uncertain fate?

It seems a few people here think they should be just left to their own fate or pts instead, because of what the owner of the kennels they are boarded at does? :unsure: (Just to be clear here, no 'rescue' dogs are bred from).

I'm no fan of breeding but I would compromise my principles if it means that otherwise healthy dogs in need of homes would be pts.

Following on from your logic, I know of more than one 'reputable' and well known rescue whose dogs are kept in less than ideal conditions, given minimal Vet care and sometimes after being with the rescue for quite sometime are then homed in appalling condition. These are not rescues who also breed. Therefore would it be sensible to say 'never trust a rescue' ? According to your logic it would.

Strange you should say that. I know many rescues who now ask advice before dealing with other rescues.Quite rightly to in this day and age.

I can think of plenty who take a dog of their breed and sometimes a cross of their breed, whatever it looks like, provided they have room.

So, you would never home another type of animal to someone who breeds - either regularly or occasionally ? You would never accept a donation from someone who breeds - either regularly or occasionally ?

Anyone who phones me and mentions breeding gets interegated. I cannot know that every person is not going to breed but not with my animals and if they blatantly talk about breeding anything then I know its not a home I want an animal of mine in.

I'll also ask again, as you didn't previously answer. Do you extend these principles to people who have bought puppies because without the buyers there would be no breeders ?

Well, I'm going to say it anyway :biggrin: Without breeders there would be no dogs. Not something I wish to see. Attitudes such as yours and a few others are the type of attitude that may eventually stop good caring breeders from breeding. The attitude won't of course put off the ones who churn out puppies from any available dog and don't give a monkeys about their welfare.

Attitudes such as yours simply encourage people to breed.Whether they are responsible breeders is a matter for thier own hearts and if we stop the anti breeding debate then we are faced with a situation where no one cares. By assuming breeding to be wrong in this day and age with the thousands of dogs put down then it perhaps makes people THINK before going ahead.I am not in charge of other peoples morals I just control what goes on in my world and my rescue for the benefit of my animals. My thoughts and views will not change the world but I hope it saves a few lives along the way.

So, quoting myself here as no-one has responded to this question....

Should my local rescue shut down? And leave dogs in a wide catchment area not covered by any other rescue to an uncertain fate?

Absolutely not. This boarding kennel/breeder possibly even gives preferential rates, a lot of them do. There's no reason why the rescue and kennel owner can't work amicably together.

T Farms quotes in blue because I couldn't quote properly from the reply

Strange you should say that. I know many rescues who now ask advice before dealing with other rescues.Quite rightly to in this day and age.

So, why originally pick on one particular rescue who also happens to breed if you also know of other bad rescues who aren't also breeders.

Anyone who phones me and mentions breeding gets interegated. I cannot know that every person is not going to breed but not with my animals and if they blatantly talk about breeding anything then I know its not a home I want an animal of mine in.

You haven't really answered all the question. If someone you knew was a breeder offered you a donation, would you take it ?

I'll also ask again, as you didn't previously answer. Do you extend these principles to people you know have bought puppies, because without the buyers there would be no breeders ?

Well, I'm going to say it anyway Without breeders there would be no dogs. Not something I wish to see. Attitudes such as yours and a few others are the type of attitude that may eventually stop good caring breeders from breeding. The attitude won't of course put off the ones who churn out puppies from any available dog and don't give a monkeys about their welfare.

Attitudes such as yours simply encourage people to breed.Whether they are responsible breeders is a matter for thier own hearts and if we stop the anti breeding debate then we are faced with a situation where no one cares. By assuming breeding to be wrong in this day and age with the thousands of dogs put down then it perhaps makes people THINK before going ahead.I am not in charge of other peoples morals I just control what goes on in my world and my rescue for the benefit of my animals. My thoughts and views will not change the world but I hope it saves a few lives along the way.

I'm more than happy for my attitude to encourage responsible breeders. Whether they are responsible or not isn't really a matter for their hearts. It is a matter of facts of how they go about breeding and homing.

Breed rescues concern me but if a normal rescue is breeding anything when they can see for themselves whats happeing out there then large warning bells would ring for me.

I actually have a couple of friends who are breeders of either horses or dogs but They understand my view point is based on what I have to deal with and thier view point is based on what they enjoy doing or make money from.

I wont even allow breeders of any sort on my site and I cannot get my head round how on one hand these people are helping to save animals whilst on the other they are producing more. I think it may be the age old arrogance of breeders that thier produce is "special "

I actually have a couple of friends who are breeders of either horses or dogs but They understand my view point is based on what I have to deal with and thier view point is based on what they enjoy doing or make money from.

Presumably based on your earlier quote these aren't friends who are actually allowed to visit you ?

T Farms quotes in blue because I couldn't quote properly from the reply

So, why originally pick on one particular rescue who also happens to breed if you also know of other bad rescues who aren't also breeders.

I didnt pick on any individual breeder or rescue so if this is an argument on someone elses behalf I really would think twice but the debate was about rescues who breed not about bad rescues.

Anyone who phones me and mentions breeding gets interegated. I cannot know that every person is not going to breed but not with my animals and if they blatantly talk about breeding anything then I know its not a home I want an animal of mine in

You haven't really answered all the question. If someone you knew was a breeder offered you a donation, would you take it ?

Why do I have to answer all your questions ?

No because just like you I am set in my views.

I would wonder what the payoff was and I would be insulted that they thought I was easily bought. If this is leading towards the catchline of "how much money would go to rescue if we sacrificed our principles" then dont because I and others with the same viewpoint attract similar people who dont breed and understand our views. This leaves open all the dosh to go the places that rescue and support breeding Perfect solution eh

I'll also ask again, as you didn't previously answer. Do you extend these principles to people you know have bought puppies, because without the buyers there would be no breeders ?

I couldnt get my head round the question but its a stupid assumption to assume I cut out 90 % of the human race. I would always get a good word in for people helping the dogs already in the world rather than funding a breeder.

Well, I'm going to say it anyway Without breeders there would be no dogs. Not something I wish to see. Attitudes such as yours and a few others are the type of attitude that may eventually stop good caring breeders from breeding. The attitude won't of course put off the ones who churn out puppies from any available dog and don't give a monkeys about their welfare.

I agree that with no breeders there will be no dogs hence what I wrote.

My views will not stop breeding but it may make people think first. Therefore it slows down breeding so giving the homing of dogs already here a chance. In the Channel Islands cats are a rare breed. How wonderful that when a litter arrives it gives the cat owner a chance to choose who gets the kittens rather than being gratefull they have all gone.

I'm more than happy for my attitude to encourage responsible breeders.

Whether they are responsible or not isn't really a matter for their hearts. It is a matter of facts of how they go about breeding and homing.

Of course its a matter for thier hearts. In this day and age I doubt many people have a heart let alone morals so its important that when they take on the responsibility of a new life they do so with a heart to do right by that animal.

If someone you knew was a breeder offered you a donation, would you take it ?

Why do I have to answer all your questions ?

No because just like you I am set in my views.

I would wonder what the payoff was and I would be insulted that they thought I was easily bought. If this is leading towards the catchline of "how much money would go to rescue if we sacrificed our principles" then dont because I and others with the same viewpoint attract similar people who dont breed and understand our views. This leaves open all the dosh to go the places that rescue and support breeding Perfect solution eh

No, it doesn't lead to that catch line. I was simply trying to establish whether or not you would take dontations or other forms of help from people who breed.

I'm sure people do occasionally ask Refuge members about donating to rescues, it's always handy to know whether they have policies on what they consider to be 'non-ethical donations'

No, it doesn't lead to that catch line. I was simply trying to establish whether or not you would take dontations or other forms of help from people who breed.

I'm sure people do occasionally ask Refuge members about donating to rescues, it's always handy to know whether they have policies on what they consider to be 'non-ethical donations'

So anyone that doesnt agree with you gets blacklisted then ?

I know many people and Im sure we all have different views and opinions. I have enough respect for them that I dont demand answers untill I get the one I want.

Im sure most people are honerable enough that they donate to help the animals not play petty political ransoms

So anyone that doesnt agree with you gets blacklisted then ?

I know many people and Im sure we all have different views and opinions. I have enough respect for them that I dont demand answers untill I get the one I want.

Im sure most people are honerable enough that they donate to help the animals not play petty political ransoms

I certainly didn't suggest that you or anyone else would or should be blacklisted.

You have stated that you would not wish to receive donations or help from people who breed. As that is your choice presumably you would not wish people to suggest to breeders that they might help your rescue.

Many people these days make ethical choices of who to buy things from or who to donate money to. Many organisations also make ethical decisions about who they are prepared to take donations from. I don't see a problem with either of those things.

In the first case I would say the individual was black listing organisations. In the second case I would say the organisation was blacklisting individuals.

Just a thought.....

But id guess all dogs, rescue or not, care way more about a safe warm home with food and exercise and not being abused, than they care about who breeds and who doesnt and personal ethics.

Is this not about THESE dogs, the dogs in the here and now..... for me, these dogs in rescues and pounds, coming up to their last day before pts..... they are more important than the potential future dogs.

That being so, ill take help off ANYONE for rescue dogs and i couldnt give a monkies where that help comes from, as long as no dog is harmed by it.

I have to live by my own concience.

Im not going to be swayed and if money is with held to any sanctuary because they wont give in to financial bullying then I hope there will be a million better people who will step up and I for one would support a sanctuary who felt strongly enough about moral issues

I choose not to support breeding,as far as Im aware lots of rescues feel the same.