UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Advertising Campaign

Abigailj

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend actually works for this charity, and we were discussing it this morning, she is well pissed off about it, we both agreed that it was entirely up to the individual which charity they gave to and for this charity to try and make people feel guilty about it is shocking, although the charity is saying it just wants people to think, yeah right,. She discussed it with her other half and had a huge row about it as he sided with the charity, claiming that animals don't have emotions so they shouldn't get so much, oh boy was that the wrong thing to say :biggrin: I asked my OH if he thought they had feelings, luckily for his gonads he answered correctly :laugh:

This is a press release I received about this which pretty much sums it up for me:

A leading worker for Animal charities in Scotland has condemned Enable Scotland for creating conflict between animal charities and charities raising money for human causes. He claims that giving money to such charities helps the government pay for weapons of mass destruction.

John Robins, Secretary of the charities Animal Concern Advice Line and Save Our Seals Fund said:

“Enable Scotland is skating on thin ice in a pair of tackety boots. They forget that the welfare state was established to ensure that the educational and health needs of the people of this country would be paid for through our taxes. If they think more money is needed to pay for special education programmes then they should be attacking government for failing to fulfil its duties.â€

“It is ridiculous that vast areas of our health service and education provision have to rely on people putting their spare pennies into collection boxes or buying raffle tickets. Hospitals for sick kids should not have to rely on handouts from burger bars.

All these services should already be fully funded through income tax and council tax instead of by a myriad of self appointed charities each with their own expensive tiers of bureaucracy and administration.â€

“By donating money to charities which the government uses to plug the gaping holes in education and health and welfare budgets people are freeing funds for Tony and his cronies to spend on weapons of mass destruction. Government decides whether or not our money should be spent on nuclear bombs or special needs teachers. As long as charities pay for the special needs teachers public funds can be spent on a replacement for Trident. Enable Scotland would be better campaigning to have public money spent on the services we need and let Tony Blair sell raffle tickets to fund weapons of mass destruction. â€

“There is no welfare state for animals. There is no Children in Need Day for animals. People who choose to support animal charities have already paid for the welfare state through their taxes. It is not their fault that groups like Enable Scotland cannot convince the government to spend our money properly.â€

Good statement.

I too found this very offensive. Everyone has the right to choose which charity they give to. I would never dream of criticising another persons choice even if it's one I disagree with personally. I think it's a disgusting tactic and I suspect they will regret their actions greatly as I think this will backfire on them big time.

I think John Robins makes a very fair point about how funding for special needs should come from the state.

I deeply resent an organisation trying to make me feel guilty about which charities or organisations I support. Obviously they have commissioned some 'clever' advertising agency to come up with this campaign for them (possibly involving payment from their funds, which is a whole other debate) but I think it could backfire on them, which is very sad for the people on whose behalf they work :(

I think its disgusting too and demeaning to the children and adults the charity represents.

Alison

I totally agree :(

there can never be to much compassion in the world and its a shame that so many charities do rely solely on public donations, however its even sadder when charities or organisations make digs at each other

I think it's a tacky and sad thing to do and insulting to the public, the people they are trying to help and to the animal charities. Campaigns of this sort have the opposite affect on me and actually stop me donating.

Can you imagine the uproar had an animal charity taken the same tack and done this in reverse :ohmy:

Whoever they paid to come up with this one has given them a pi$$ poor service. Was it the ad agency that did the Benetton stuff a few years back I wonder :unsure: :rolleyes:

Marion