UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Advertising Campaign

Abigailj

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I emailed them yesterday (politely) and haven't had any feedback, but I suspect they are inundated with complaints. I am still gobsmacked that any charity could think it is a good idea to denigrate other charities as a way of raising funds :ohmy: Does anyone know if it is against the Charity Commissions guidelines, or if there are grounds for complaint to the ASA ?

I emailed them yesterday (politely) and haven't had any feedback, but I suspect they are inundated with complaints. I am still gobsmacked that any charity could think it is a good idea to denigrate other charities as a way of raising funds :ohmy: Does anyone know if it is against the Charity Commissions guidelines, or if there are grounds for complaint to the ASA ?

Interesting word you use there Maria, DENIGRATE Based on this rule and a couple of others where they are close to the wind I made an official complaint to the ASA yesterday. Edited by Paul

I feel sorry for the Kids and Adults used in this. And they have been "used" :(

As a parent of an adult with special needs, I find exploiting these vulnerable people,( even if it is supposed to be to help them), very offensive and it leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

I,ll be sending an e.mail too, the kids in this have un-wittingly been used as objects by those who are supposed to be protecting them.

This is a press release I received about this which pretty much sums it up for me:

A leading worker for Animal charities in Scotland has condemned Enable Scotland for creating conflict between animal charities and charities raising money for human causes. He claims that giving money to such charities helps the government pay for weapons of mass destruction.

John Robins, Secretary of the charities Animal Concern Advice Line and Save Our Seals Fund said:

“Enable Scotland is skating on thin ice in a pair of tackety boots. They forget that the welfare state was established to ensure that the educational and health needs of the people of this country would be paid for through our taxes. If they think more money is needed to pay for special education programmes then they should be attacking government for failing to fulfil its duties.â€

“It is ridiculous that vast areas of our health service and education provision have to rely on people putting their spare pennies into collection boxes or buying raffle tickets. Hospitals for sick kids should not have to rely on handouts from burger bars.

All these services should already be fully funded through income tax and council tax instead of by a myriad of self appointed charities each with their own expensive tiers of bureaucracy and administration.â€

“By donating money to charities which the government uses to plug the gaping holes in education and health and welfare budgets people are freeing funds for Tony and his cronies to spend on weapons of mass destruction. Government decides whether or not our money should be spent on nuclear bombs or special needs teachers. As long as charities pay for the special needs teachers public funds can be spent on a replacement for Trident. Enable Scotland would be better campaigning to have public money spent on the services we need and let Tony Blair sell raffle tickets to fund weapons of mass destruction. â€

“There is no welfare state for animals. There is no Children in Need Day for animals. People who choose to support animal charities have already paid for the welfare state through their taxes. It is not their fault that groups like Enable Scotland cannot convince the government to spend our money properly.â€

that covers it in a nutshell for me...human charities get tax relief and assistance from the Government, Lottery etc...animal charities don't.

I received a letter from the ASA today saying they are unable to persue my complaint as it refers to a press release announcing the advertising campaign and not the advertising itself :rolleyes: So if anyone can give me a bus number or train route where one is on display I'll have another go :dry:

I got this in an email today from the charity concerned:

Dear Marion

Thank you for your contribution to this very important debate. ENABLE Scotland wants it to be a thought provoking campaign and already we have received a large number of responses both for and against the campaign.

ENABLE Scotland wants children and adults with learning disability to be higher up the public agenda and this campaign is helping us to achieve that. Of course we respect everyone's right to donate to the cause of their choice.

Thank you for your comments which have been noted

Doreen Walkinshaw

Head of Fundraising and Marketing

ENABLE Scotland

0141 226 4541

[email protected]

6th floor, 7 Buchanan Street

I am not impressed :mad:

Marion