UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

My Daughter Has Been Bitten By A Dog

dlmckay

Will write letter to owner and leave the authorities out of it.

I think that sounds very fair. I wouldn't want my dogs approaching people if I wasn't right there with them and I'd not want my child (if I had one) being that close to a "strange" dog, given that we can't 100% predict a dog's or child's behaviour.

The dog's owners have helped after the incident, including paying the doctor's fee, which suggests they have a sense of responsbility. Hopefully they will be more careful about letting their dog run up to strangers in future. No harm in your mentioning this to them in the letter I don't think.

In the circumstances you've reported, I wouldn't be calling for the dog to be destroyed - but I think the owners should feel very fortunate that it was you involved and not someone else that would have demanded pts.

Most importantly, I hope Caitlin makes a full recovery :flowers:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The dog may have run up to Caitlin but it didn't ask to be hugged and if it was old then it may well have been in pain. The owner does sound like a responsible and caring person so I doubt you can make her feel worse than she already does even if you write to her.

I hope Caitlin heals quickly and there's no lasting damage. :flowers:

Edited by madmerle

Yes, they were at fault for taking the dog down there but you allowed your children to pet and hug a strange dog, it isn't their fault that the dog bit your daughter, that is yours for allowing her to do that.

No child should pet or hug a strange dog that you know nothing about that is how most children get bitten but it is the dog that suffers because of it.

I doubt these people will take the dog down there again so by reporting them, it won't make any difference apart from putting a dangerous label on the dog that it doesn't deserve.

I doubt these people will take the dog down there again.

Not so sure about that! They were local and probably use the beach on a daily basis. I do think blame lies with both parents and owners, rather than child and dog, I wouldn't trust either a 3 year old with a dog or vice versa and responsibility for the incident whether financial or morally should be shared equally.

The location in this incident is absolutely relevant, if the dog wasn't on the beach the child couldn't have been bitten, just as if the child didn't hug the dog she wouldn't have been bitten.

Fortunately the dogs owners have been very lucky to have had this incident happen with someone so understanding.

Hope Caitlin recovers with no scars physical or mental.

I'd agree entirely and I hope Caitlin soon heals. With luck both parties will have learnt from a rather frightening experience which could have been far, far worse for everyone ...

I'm with PrincessC on this one. It could have been a whole lot worse and hopefully Caitlins wounds will heal well and she have no lasting issues with dogs etc. And hopefully the dogs owner will now abide by the law.

I was bitten several times between the ages of 3 and 7 - albeit it never in the face, fortunately - by strange dogs, because of my irrepressible urge to go over and stroke them. Where I lived, people used to take their dogs shopping and tie them up outside whilst being in the shops. Whenever I'd arrive with my mum I'd scan the area and joy of joys if there was one, waiting to be cuddled and stroked by me!

Mum wasn't always aware of what I was up to - it was a very safe village - unitl I'd come back crying, saying that I'd been bitten by a dog. The result? I'd get clipped around the ear for a) wandering off and b) told off for approaching strange dogs. Never ever has my mum approached a dog's owner to tell them that their dog had bitten me.

I don't know what's going on in the world these days what with having rules and regulations for this that and the other, and people making a big deal about just about everything. I know you've decided against taking any further action dlmckay, and I think that's great. :) Many people would have cried foul and caused a lot of grief for the poor dog and their owner. I just don't understand how this change in thinking (my mum's reaction, to my knowledge, was not at all uncommon in those days and where I lived), the need for all sorts of rules and calling people to task, came about.

I hope caitlin recovers well soon... :GroupHug: :flowers:

I have to say when I walk my dog, even though she is still a pup(very big one at that), people still want to stroke or make a fuss of her, people ask if they can stroke, basically because she is now quite big, I think maybe they feel a little intimadated by her, she is a very friendly pooch, but because of the news in the past people do tend to be a bit wary of her... but I do wait until they ask me before I allow her to go and say hi.

It's your irrepressible forum manner that I have come to love over the years Kathy - don't change - I know exactly what you're thinking when you type!

It does get a bit tedious :laugh:

I hope Caitlin heals quickly. Its a sad situation and I can see both points of view.

Alison

Will write letter to owner and leave the authorities out of it.

being too lazy to go back to your original post Diana, if you don't mind I'm quoting a bit of it and would agree 100% with that approach.

Living in a country which mandates by law that certain breeds of dogs must not only always be leashed but muzzled in public, I have to admit that when I take my 15 yo rottie x and my 6 year old GSD who has three legs out they are always always on leash. They have headcollars which satisfy the local dogwarden that they are muzzled as i "have control of the head/mouth"

Anyway my point is, that in my situation I would do nothing to cause myself to be in breach of the law (hence the checking with dogwarden about muzzles vs headcollars) and were it me, I would be extremely worried if such a situation arose.

I think your way of dealing with it is a lovely and if I may say so, a thoughtful compromise.

As regards children, not having any, and having a wolfhound who is wary of them, I can appreciate the unpredictability of children and would myself take care not to place my dog in a situation where they may cause a child harm unintentionally as is potentially the case in this scenario.

Caitlin looks a sweet child.

Edited by nouggatti

Ok you might not like certain members style of posting but please don't be personal or the thread will go.

Thankyouu.

I'm happy for you to lock this one up now as the subject has been discussed and put to bed with my decision on how to deal with it.

But I would mention that a "certain member" also made personal remarks towards me too, so that the naughty stick is shaken equally :wink:

But I will add just quickly that Caitlin is healing fine, no infection has been noted and she's as bubbly as ever.

However, we saw a dog tied up outside the store and she told me it was a nice dog and she could pat it... :wacko: will keep a tigher rein on her, so this sorry little episode is not repeated. :flowers:

Glad to hear she's doing well. she's a cutie :wub:

Diana I wasn't actually referring to you and I agree, equal stick shaking there. I should have quoted the post I meant, sorry :flowers:

Leave it open for a bit longer, other people will no doubt want to pass on their best wishes to Caitlin :) [unless you want it closed now?]