UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Yeah I've had it on alot, I love watching the jumping at the Royal Show and the Parelli stuff is fasinating! I've always been abit against it because I thought it was all tricks etc, but been fairly impressed. Did look at the demo they are doing in August at the NEC £95 a ticket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ohmy: Think I'll stick to the telly!!

When I was at uni Pat Parelli himself came over and did a demo at the college. He was ok, a lot of it is tricks, and he had no luck working with a couple of the horses he decided to use for demos, neither of which were particularly difficult/awkward characters. We got to go in for free cos we were students and I have to say I was much more impressed by Monty Roberts, Pat Parelli seems to be a better showman but not so much content. The demos over here are almost never by Pat himself though cos he doesn't tend to travel - maybe the ones over here are better??

When I was at uni Pat Parelli himself came over and did a demo at the college. He was ok, a lot of it is tricks, and he had no luck working with a couple of the horses he decided to use for demos, neither of which were particularly difficult/awkward characters. We got to go in for free cos we were students and I have to say I was much more impressed by Monty Roberts, Pat Parelli seems to be a better showman but not so much content. The demos over here are almost never by Pat himself though cos he doesn't tend to travel - maybe the ones over here are better??

Yeah everything I'd seen before seemed to be quiet trick based, but the guy on the telly was a Ozzy, but he actually didn't do anything it was the girls with the horses that were showing the moves! It was very simple ground movements through body language and very impressive , I do take alot of it with a pinch of salt but definately rate Kelly Marks now because the exercises I've tried so far with Kane are working!

I guess the fact he couldn't do anything with your horses speaks volumes!!! :wink:

Loads of healing thoughts for the twins mummy, hope she perks up. :GroupHug:

I'm not saying me and Kane are sorted and I catch myself doing things wrong all the time, but at least now I'm aware of me effecting him! Last night when he spooked I very very nearly grabbed at the rope near his head...managed to stop myself and I'm sure that's why he calmed and walked towards me!!! It's so hard to change the way I've been but I'll get there!! Just need to teach the naughty foals how to respect me now!!! :laugh:

Hmm, have spent the afternoon looking at horses on the intyweb - seem to find myself attracted to heavy cob types with feathers :unsure: I'd look ridiculous in a big heavy set cob :rolleyes:

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: No you won't. I'll take a picture of you on Kane and then you can see how fantastic you look...and you'll see how comfortable a big fat cob is!!! :biggrin:

Jenny (Bradders) is only teeny tiny like you and she has a big hairy cob! (Okay Rolo's not quiet Kane sized but he's 14.2hh (I think) and would have lovely feathers if he didn't have to have them chopped off cos of his allergies..eh Jen???)

Edited by JACKYSIAN

:glare: So how come, even though I can neither afford money or timewise a horse or share thereof, I have have just spent the last 10/15 mins looking at horses for share????

Cos you know you want to...it makes sense think of the peace of mind and joy it will bring you!!!! :bighyp:

Yeah everything I'd seen before seemed to be quiet trick based, but the guy on the telly was a Ozzy, but he actually didn't do anything it was the girls with the horses that were showing the moves! It was very simple ground movements through body language and very impressive , I do take alot of it with a pinch of salt but definately rate Kelly Marks now because the exercises I've tried so far with Kane are working!

I guess the fact he couldn't do anything with your horses speaks volumes!!! :wink:

I think Kelly Marks is fab - she seems to have an amazing understanding of horses that she is also able to pass on. At the PP demo at uni the bits Pat did himself weren't very good - but the bits done by a couple of his apprentice types were good - maybe he is better at teaching than doing himself??

I'm spending far more time than I should be looking at horses for sale - supposedly for Jayne but I keep seeing ones that I want myself!!!

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: No you won't. I'll take a picture of you on Kane and then you can see how fantastic you look...and you'll see how comfortable a big fat cob is!!! :biggrin:

Jenny (Bradders) is only teeny tiny like you and she has a big hairy cob! (Okay Rolo's not quiet Kane sized but he's 14.2hh (I think) and would have lovely feathers if he didn't have to have them chopped off cos of his allergies..eh Jen???)

:) Yup - and I didn't want a heavyweight either!! You may recall I was looking for and andalusian or similar!!! :laugh: I went from 15.2 willowy araby type to 14.2 tank!!

If only Rolo did not get mites/greasy heel/general itchy legs he would have lovely feathers - if I can get his legs sorted am toying with letting them grow next Summer.

Don't discount anything - you just never know!!!

For what it's worth I am 5'4 and weigh about 8 1/2 stone and have ridden everything from 13.2 to 17.2( a true gent - otherwise I would not have got on him!!) and have not felt that I look that daft on any of them - but then, it could be because I don't care if I do! :laugh:

Really like that one in the photo - lovely looking chap!

Beautiful Twinnies! :wub: :wub:

Hope mum is fine and it is not an infection, Bless her.

Bradders :ohmy: you are forthwith expelled from the Nervous Nellies club, as is Jackysian! I am now the only member.

You have a new member of the nervous nellies club right here. Dexters owner phoned last night and asked if I would like to use the last 10 mins of his schooling to ride him with Kathy. Kathy has been schooling and hacking him for 3 yrs and will be my instructor if I do the share thing.

He looked really lovely for her. Was doing that crossing the feet over thing to go sideways etc ( dont know what its called!!)

He decided to play up again for me to mount. So we put him at the edge of the school with the mounting block on the near side and the side of the school on the off side so he couldnt move away sideways. So he decided to go backwards instead. So he was then put in a corner so he had sides of school at the rear and off side and the mounting block on the near side and he stood as sweet as anything. For everyone else he stands like a rock anyway.

We did some walking and keeping him straight as he knows I am weak and hangs to the middle of the school. We did some short trots. Yea gods is he powerful. He has a bouncy free flowing trot but the instructor was telling me to return to walk at one dressage letter and it was taking me til the next letter to manage it. I didnt feel in control at all. I have never ever ridden anything other than a riding establishment horse/pony and never ridden a cob before Dexter. I coudlnt get over the power. Although he stopped for me I didnt feel I was in control. Glad I was in the indoor school.

I know its early days. I have only ridden him for 3 short sessions. All I can see is a big hill to climb and I dont know if I can do it. :(

On the up side (well I think it is) I groomed him on my own today. He started nibbling my hair while I was bent over. Is this mutual grooming? Is it a bonding thing? Is it allowed or is it a prelude to him taking a chunk out of me. He was nibbling my back later as well. Is this horse etiquette or another way of him taking the p*ss with me. How do I stop it if I need to?

(hope you are still awake)

Get well wishes to the mare. :wub: and hugs to the foalies.

nibbling is mutual grooming, means you found the good scratching-spot! :) It can get a bit OTT with some horses and they will try groom you with their teeth like they do each other, which obviously is not exceptable to humans as it hurts like hell lol... but just don't let him carry on for too long until you know him better.

The move from riding school to a non school pony can be a big one! I was lucky I learnt on my friend's hanoverian - I went for a lesson at a proper school later and hated it :rolleyes:

It will come - Dexter is testing what he can get away with and makign the most out of your relative inexperience in dealing with him. Don't put yourself under any pressure - one day something will just click and you will become more confident in your dealings with him - he will then start to toe the line!

Give youself time - you will get there :flowers:

Sounds like he has lots of potential - you will be entering dressage tests and jumping in no time!