UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

I decided to take the shets one at a time to graze on the verge outside the yard as our grass is just not growing as yet. Banner stuffed her face, ate loads of dandilions and was very happy. Then I took Special Lilli, oh dear what a disaster, she tripped over the curb edge, grazed a bit then walked into a tree head first. She bumped sideways into the 20ft wall across the road, then someone brought the other shet Monty and she walked straight into him and bounced off. Then a car came passed and she absolutely freaked out so I took her back, as I was opening the yard gate she walked into it.

I won't be taking her off the yard again, someone said if I take her out more then she will get used to it. How can she get used to what she can't see is my difficulty and stopping her walking into things isn't easy as she doesn't respond to pressure, well she doesn't respond at all so stopping or turning her is always problematic. She's ok ish in places she knows, she can follow the fence lines at a flat out gallop and seems to sense the electric fencing, it has to be on though or she will happily walk through it. Fortunately she never panics if she gets stuck anywhere, she just waits to be got out! She may be special but she's not daft!

Aww Lilli, sounds like she is well adjusted to her normal surroundings, she probably would get used to being outside the yard once she had a picture of what's where but as you say whats the point when she is happy with what she knows, you'll just have to bring the grass to her :biggrin:

We took Loki over to my dressage trainers on Saturday, I wanted her to have a sit on him as I haven't really been happy with how he feels under saddle for a while, I can't really explain it but he feels restricted especially in the trot work but its so subtle Im not sure if Im imagining it, and I also don't know if its a saddle issue as to me the saddle feels tight on his shoulders, saddler checked it last month and agreed it was dropping into hollows behind shoulder but wasn't much she could do other than change the gullet but that would make it too narrow, so we agreed to go with a prolite pad and see if that helped.

So T rode him and agreed he is not himself, her being a wonderful rider got him doing the moves better than me but there was no harmony or softness and she had to work very hard to get things that normally come easy, but she also couldn't put her finger on what was happening. She agreed that the saddle felt very tight behind the shoulders and was tipping her forward in trot but felt any flocked saddle would do the same and really I'd need to look at Flair saddles.

I'm not sure about Flair and also I think if a saddle had a bigger front panel it would help but Im a bit stuck really as my saddler only does new and I don't have that kind of money, actually I don't have any but heyho! The saddlers around here who do 2nd hand saddles I wouldn't touch with a barge pole but have been put in contact with a lady who does and comes highly recommended.

Had a chat to her today and she would be happy to come out but suggested I get my vet to check him out before going through the stress of getting a new saddle which may not help the issue, which is a good point, I did go through this last year when I was feeling the same under saddle before he got poorly and he couldn't find anything wrong with him and I had a different saddle at the time, but again I got rid of that because it was restricting his shoulders.

So I am rather confuzzled at the moment, and my poor vet is coming out tomorrow to do some more head scratching I would think :confused:

Wanda is a serial shape changer and the best thing I ever did was get her the WoW. Can you find someone with a WoW Korrector Pad you could borrow, it would give you the same feel without the eeeek cost. Plus points are you don't need two saddles as you can interchage flaps. Just a thought! :)

Ooh fab was looking for someone who has first hand experience of WOW as read lots of horror stories on forums, though someone said it would be good for him because of the tree moves with the shoulders or something like that?

The saddler I have spoken to is a WOW fitter and she suggested the Korrector Pad rather than new saddle so hopefully if he gets the all clear from vet tomorrow she is going to come out and see what she can do, its nice that she is looking at other options rather than trying to sell me a saddle.

Aww Lilli :wub:

Hope you can get Loki's saddle sorted soon :flowers:

We are plodding along with the instructions to do light work every day. Only day we have missed was yesterday when it was throwing it down and blowing a gale. Today on the lunge he was different... Usually he goes out into a trot and is really hard to bring down into a walk. Today he wasn't overly keen on trotting :unsure: I schooled him on Friday and he didn't seem too bad, certainly willing to go forwards, but today has just thrown me a bit. Will see how he goes tomorrow - weather dependent, I may hack or school him tomorrow and see how he goes. Either way, this time next week he'll be at Leahurst for his next lot of tests, so we should have a better idea of what's going on with him.

(null)

How was Blue yesterday?

Vet came, saw, confirmed sound, confirmed nothing physically obviously wrong, but that he agrees there obviously is, does this sound familiar :rolleyes:

Bloods taken, different saddler booked for next Wednesday to check his saddle and who will bring a WOW Korrector pad to try with it if needed. I have a name of a neuro-muscular physio type person who has come highly recommended. When they have all seen him and if nothing comes to light in bloods we are going to a bute test, as neither myself or our vet has a clue where to start looking at the moment.

I can't believe we are going through this again, just trying to keep positive and hope the saddler or physio can find something

Oh Clare, how frustrating :confused: Poor Loki. I really hope they get to the bottom of it this time!!

Well ive handed in my notice of leave, I am going to move him back to my old yard the w/e of the 26th/27th. Got the vet 2 weeks today so I guess then I will know more...whether he just needs to be turned away or not. Will be nice to be closer to home but not looking forward to the mud :unsure:

Oh no. Hope there is nothing major bothering Loki. Do you think it may be a pollen type allergy?

Glad you have reached a decision, hopefully Milo won't need to be turned away for any length of time :flowers:

Didn't do anything with Blue yesterday. It was blowing an absolute hooley the whole time I was at the yard. Didn't want to risk lunging him in case he did anything stupid and hurt himself even more. However the instructor who comes onto the yard who insists on riding everything in draw reins rode one of the young horses that she is paid to ride, and didn't wear a hat :angry: I didn't think she could sink any lower in my estimations, but to ride a recently backed 4 year old in howling gales with no hat is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen..

I really don't understand people who don't wear a hat, I've heard all the "its my head my decision" but actually when they have a serious accident it will affect a lot more people than they realise grrrrr

I'm sure its the right choice CP, fingers crossed its the start of everything getting back on track

I am seriously starting to wonder if Loki has gastric ulcers, he has always had gastric issues since I've had him, ironically he has been much better the last 18 months which coincide with him being poorly, I am going to speak to my vet tomorrow about the bloods so will ask him, I think I asked before but we were so sure it was a respiratory issue it wasn't looked into any further mainly due to the very invasive procedure to investigate.

I've just Googled gastric ulcer symptoms and it does sound a lot like Loki - lack of performance...also I know ages ago you said he was salivating a lot, that's also a symptom! How interesting. One of the ponies at my old yard had pellets in his feed, ulcer guard I think it was called....something like that! Let us know what vet says,sounds viable though doesn't it...

I was wondering about ulcers for Blue - he is a stress head and does crib and windsuck at times. If it is ulcers, am pretty sure a short course of omeprazole will have him back to normal within weeks. Will be interested to hear what your vet thinks.

Hacked Blue tonight and he was really good, we went with another couple of liveries, one of whom is just getting her confidence back riding. So we stay in walk and don't go too far - ideal for what we need to be doing at the moment. He's also had new shoes on today, farrier said he was fine. Hopefully hacking tomorrow as well if the weather isn't too bad, so that will be nice.

Hacked out today too, it was really windy but he was really good. We hacked with one of the other liveries on her little welsh. She had a reflective quarter sheet on that was blowing a bit, but Blue didn't bat an eyelid :wub: I just hope he can be mended soon, although I am enjoying hacking him again...

(null)

Any news on Loki Clare?

Blue is now at Leahurst. Mum and dad had to take him, so I went up to the farm to groom him and load him onto the trailer for them before going to work. He wasn't too keen on loading today, but we got there in the end. After we had loaded him, I went around the back of the trailer to say goodbye to him, and he turned around as if to say 'mum, why aren't you coming too???' Am really going to miss him, I just hope that they can find out what's wrong with him :unsure:

(null)