UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Good luck Clare and Loki! My goodness that's early!! Atleast like you say you will be back at lunchtime :)

Think that spring grass is coming through, Milo super gung-Ho at the moment but I have to say he's working nicely! Tonight he popped himself into canter and before I could get him back to trot he bounced around like a dressage horse as if to say 'look mummy I can do it!'. Little does he know he's only sound because he's buted up to the eyeballs :laugh:

Omg, that's really early Clare! At least you can have afternoon on the sofa :)

Blue has definitely learned some horrendous lunge habits whilst at Leahurst :angry: He as soon as I ask for walk he stops and comes into the middle. When I changed the rein, he wouldn't go out onto a circle and kept walking into me :rolleyes: We got there in the end, but he's become a right pain in the butt!

Glad Milo was feeling well today, even if it is due to the Bute :flowers:

Had the vet back out to Wanda as she wasn't improving, he thought she had something going on in her hoof but not bad enough for an abcess. He found an old nail hole that was a bit too open and she was sensitive to the hoof testers on that side. She's been tubbed and polticed for three days and we now have load of gook coming out of the hole, never been happier to see gook!

Hope Blue and Milo are improving too!

Clare will have done her dressage ages ago, what an early time!

Ah ha glad you got to the bottom of wandas foot!

Waiting eagerly for Clare to tell us how she got on :D

Well milo is sound. But that's only because he's on 2 butes a day :laugh: as far as he's concerned he's got new legs. I'm going to take him for a nice morning out tomorrow and do a nice hack to my old yard to see my friends and so they can make a fuss of milo. Gives me something to do with him anyway :)

Really pleased Wanda has a gunky foot - well you know what I mean :o)

Hope you can get Blue back into shape on the lunge soon!

Really hope Milo can maintain his soundness when he comes off the bute.

I had a good day, started with the miracle that not only did Loki keep his plaits in overnight but no poo stains!

I walked the course yesterday and thought both SJ and XC were another step up for us, there were more techincal questions.

I was concerned with this, as neither myself or Loki had seen one of these before and the approach was a 90 degree angle

Fence7resized.jpg

and this caused slight racing of the heart!

Fence8resized.jpg

Dressage was ok, he was a bit unsettled and spooky so not one of our best for 34 but scores ranged from 30 to 45 by half way through the class so not too bad. The dreaded showjumping was much better I got to the third last fence with only one down when he over jumped into the double, but then had a rush of blood to the head and forgot all I was taught last week and had the next two fences down, but got my senses back and a nice jump over the last. So happy with him annoyed at myself lol.

XC was as ever a lot of fun, but I didn't get the line right to the corner (what idiot uses a white fence post to aim for, when actually there are about 20 of them in view when approaching on horseback .....) Bless him he never locked onto it and just didn't understand the question, when he did realise it was just too late and he glanced off, a quick circle round and a better ride from me and he flew it true and straight, so not naughtiness just crap riding. He flew the rest of the course and didn't look at a thing so really chuffed. One of those not good on paper but actually a productive day.

Some SJ lessons and corner practise before next event in June I think!

(Someone has stolen my smililes!)

Haha no thanks just getting used to jumping 3ft!

I am feeling out of my depth a bit but would rather be working to improve than staying in our comfort zone.

I'm sure you're all bored stiff of my videos but here are yesterdays!

Dressage

http://youtu.be/UBvo0ifLNXo

Showjumping

http://youtu.be/Si85CDzv7GM

XC

http://youtu.be/hy312Eo6mO8

http://youtu.be/tSSJcTokXWU

• Like 1

I never get tired of the vids, keep them coming! I was waiting for him to explode in the dressage, he was certainly on the go but it did make him more expressive and you did well to contain him! Free walk on a long rein was a bit too long, he has to stay on the end of the rein and take it forward.

Do you think the show jumps are just a bit too low for him and he doesn't respect them? I know there were a couple of jockey errors but he should be able to ignore you at that height. XC is looking fantastic, he obviously loves it.

Do you really pronounce his name Lock eye!

Agghh I wish I had my smilies working as would be using laughing rolling over one, it did make me laugh in the arena! Lock Eye the Second no less ........ Nooo that was one of the worst pronunciations I have heard and there have been a few!! It should be said as "Lowki" but it is never read out as that lol.

He normally takes the free walk easily so I merrily gave my reins and nothing happened catching me out, don't think he was in the mood for relaxing!

I don't know regarding height quite possibly, he definately doesn't find that height an effort, I think perhaps he is just going to be a careless showjumper and hopefully if I can improve my riding I might get away with one or two down. I sent the video to the trainer who I had a lesson with and she was really pleased with the improvement from one lesson and is going to email me with detailed feedback. I should hopefully be able to have another lesson with her next month as she is in the area again. Next event is Jun 17th so a nice amount of time to work on things.

His showjumping is frustrating when he can jump like this, he didn't touch a twig!!

Snapshot122-04-201212-12.png

I need to have a ramble so thought here was best :)

I was free on Sunday and was chatting to my old YO last week so milo and I hacked down there, picnic in tow! As soon as he realised where he was going and we got on the bridlepath he started screaming (very embarrassing) and didn't stop until we got there. Now he hasn't been there for nearly 7 months. He must've really loved it there, which surprises me! I spoke to the yo who said she would happily have us back should milo need time off.

Since we went back I've started thinking maybe we should just go back anyway. I think he would be so much happier living out again (for his hocks). I would have to trade a gorgeous yard and grazing for a crappy little place but something is saying to me he'd be happier there. It's not like I'm getting to use any facilities at my current yard as I'm just hacking so feel as though its a bit of a waste. Help me please? Am I just being emotional?

• Like 1

No not at all I think you need to go with your gut :flowers: Plus its a given that living out would be better for his hocks.

You might also find that all his problems improve dramatically when you go back, it wasn't until I moved Loki back to WEC that I realised how unhappy he had been about the move, though it wasn't obvious at the time, and all his issues dissapeared as soon as I took him back, he pretty much gave a huge sign of relief coming off the trailer and left me in no doubt it was where he wanted to be!

• Like 1