UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Saddle fitter has been, and very happy with the fit of my Jessica saddle. It is so different to ride in than my Isabelle, feels like I am sat further forwards in it than my Isabelle. Need to buy some new stirrup leathers though, so trip to robinsons is planned for this afternoon :)

Does anyone know anything about pregnant/ex brood mares. Fern has put weight on but her belly looks full and firm unlike Annies that just looks like a pudding :laugh: I dont know if Fern is possibly infoal or if ex brood mares just put on weight differently :unsure: I cant examine her as shes 13yrs old and only head collar broken and wont allow being touched in any way :rolleyes:

Hope Loki is ok :GroupHug:

Ex brood mares are often big in the tummy area...you will have to watch to see if she has a season to know if she is in foal if you cant touch her..... if she is put back into work and made fit again her tummy will go back to normal

Does anyone know anything about pregnant/ex brood mares. Fern has put weight on but her belly looks full and firm unlike Annies that just looks like a pudding :laugh: I dont know if Fern is possibly infoal or if ex brood mares just put on weight differently :unsure: I cant examine her as shes 13yrs old and only head collar broken and wont allow being touched in any way :rolleyes:

Hope Loki is ok :GroupHug:

Ooh hope Fern is just podgey and not preggers :ohmy:

I think if I had come face to face with a cow or bull I would have :run4hills:

Dropped Loki off yesterday and only cried a bit when had to leave him :rolleyes:

Went back this morning and it was very busy and they had a industrial size yard hoover which was scaring him to death, so he wasn't in the best of states :rolleyes:

Xrays showed nothing worrying, scan showed a slight abnormality on left side as my vet found but vet didn't feel it was a big enough gap to hold intestine or anything else that shouldn't be there. Unfortuantly he couldn't find the intestine that my vet found out of place so going on what he could see today it didn't point towards a hernia. But he did point out that with a hernia its a moving thing so there could be a hole that the gut went through last time but for now its sitting where it should. I guess that inconclusive then :wacko:

He then decided to do another scope and take some samples from the lungs, this will give us a definate answer as to whether its a lung problem or something else. Those should be back this afternoon.

There was then debate whether it was worth doing a bareum xray, by this point I think vet is thinking lung problem and no point in looking for the hernia, but also the bareum xray can often be inconclusive too. But as I hadn't been told there was a possibility he could come home today I hadn't arranged transport so it was decided if he was going to be there anyway they might as well do one.

So I left him to come round from his sedative so he can eat the yummy bareum and have further xrays this afternoon and I will get a phone call later will all results.

Hopefully he can come home tomorrow :bigsmiley:

My vet didn't xray as the mobile xray wouldn't have been powerful enough to go through the chest, Im not sure if it was possible to send an image from the portable scanner but I think things you see on scans are open to interpretation and maybe they both came to a different conclusion.

So all tests have come back normal :wacko: in fact the vet was very impressed with his lung samples :rolleyes: So no lung disease which is fab news :biggrin:

But unfortuantly it draws a blank on to what is wrong with him. The hernia can't be ruled out as there are parts of the diaphragm that can't be seen on xrays and scans the only way to know for sure is to operate, but the vet feels there is not enough evidence to risk doing that at this stage.

The only thing that has come up is that he has very small lungs for a horse his size and any small flare up with the lungs could cause much more severe symptons in him than a "normal" horse.

The vet thinks that perhaps he has had something that has now gone but because he has put weight on during his time off this is not helping his recovery :unsure: I am not convinced about this as when it all started he wasn't overweight, and none of the other vets that have seen him have commented on him being overweight but am open minded and at least its something to work on. A strict diet and gentle exercise in walk for a month and see how we go.

Horses :rolleyes:

Glad it's not lung disease or anything nasty.

I would also be a bit dubious about that diagnosis though, as he was in work and fit when it came on. However they are the experts, and obviously know what they are doing.

Fingers crossed that diet and exercise work to help him improve :flowers:

Oh Loki :rolleyes: At least they havnt found anything nasty which is a good sign. Lets hope with a bit of a diet and some rest he'll pull through :flowers:

Ive spent the last few days cleaning out stables. The lady with the stable next to mine wants it so she can bring both her horses in and be in adjacent stables so I offered to move. We moved the hay out of our 'hay stable' so ive moved in there. It took me an hour just to dust down the walls, 3 years of dust, cobwebs and hay stuck in every crevice :laugh: Needless to say Ive swept it out about 50 times and left the door open so its had time to air. Now its all clean its probably actually the nicest stable :laugh: Its got a hay manger in the corner, tried that out today and Milo thinks its the best thing since sliced bread. Really good for not leaving much mess either, there was hardly any hay left on the floor. So am quite pleased with my new 'move', despite spending hours cleaning out manky stables :laugh:

Have booked my next show, next weekend. Am doing the same classes, 2' and 2'3" :biggrin: In my lesson last week we jumped 3' and that seemed fine but somehow at a show those 2' jumps look bigger than 3' at home :laugh:

Agree Gooster and to be honest he is not carrying any more weight than he has during the six years I've had him :rolleyes: I hope this doesn't cause any problems with the insurance as he is not obese - I shall post a pic later to prove it if BT get their act together and fix the broadband at home.

His discharge papers said "box confinement for dietry period 2-4 months" :ohmy: Sorry but I think that is a bit drastic and will also cause many many more problems than I have now! I am going to restrict his turnout and with the other measurs in place hope that we start to see results without having to resort to that. The field they are in is very poor anyway so its not like he is stuffing his face with lush grass when he is out.

Long reined him in walk this morning for 20 mins in the school, he was a good boy he was flagging a bit near the end but then so was I :laugh:

New stable sound a good swap CP, where is your next show?

Quiet at work so will sneak this on now :laugh:

Am I sticking my head in the sand and am not seeing that he is so fat he can't walk round the field without blowing? I appreciate he is holding more than ideal but I have seen a lot worse around :wacko:

Beg of fat club munch.JPG

Um, I'd say he's a bit portly, can you feel an indentation where his neck and shoulder meet? On the photo I can't see it at all but it could just be the angle. His bum is very well rounded too, I'm sure I've seen him slimmer. I've always thought of him as light middleweight, now he does look a taddy top heavy.

What a shame you did not get a more definite result from all the tests, now it all becomes a sort of guessing game which is not at all helpful to you or Loki. :GroupHug:

We went jumping in a friends field today but were driven out by cleggs, friend's horse had about 40 on him and was going bonkers. It didn't matter how many you killed they just came in droves and attacked horses and humans alike. They are such horrid things, what on earth use are they anyway!

Glad Loki's home but confusing as to whats wrong :wacko: But 2-4 mths box rest :ohmy: :ohmy:

Bumble the little bugger is in trouble tonight :mad: :rolleyes: Hes really got it in for Fern at the moment, think its just a jealousy thing as Fern and Annie are together whilst hes in a small turnout patch in the same field but cant get to them. Tonight hed smashed fencing posts and wire and was racing around the big field guarding Annie from Fern. He was kicking out , bucking and ears back at her making faces. Luckily it seemed to have happened a few minutes before we got there so no damage done but Fern looked baffled as to what she'd done to deseve it, shes such a gentle girl :( I took Bumble and Annie in whilst Jodie got Fern so Annie got revenge by biting Bumble on the bum :rolleyes: Have to admit i'm a bit concerned about Bumble at the moment, hes normally so laid back but since stable rest and Ferns arrival hes not himself temperment wise. I hope its frustration/ jealousy and boredom and he'll calm down otherwise i dont know what it is. Any ideas?

Just had a thought as i wrote this, if Fern is possibly infoal could it be a hormone thing or is Bumble just a grumpy sod!