UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Goodness - he looks so different like that. Ive only ever seen photos of him in action and looking poised and elegant - and not that he doesnt look elegent but in 'normal' pose like that he looks so much cobbier than I expected him to. Just goes to show how well he works for you Clare :flowers: Infact he looks very similar to Milo in stature, exept Loki has got a normal sized neck :laugh:

His weight looks good to me. Did you see the size of some of the other show cobs at the show last week? The judge told the lady in the place above me that her horse was too fat and then told me that Milo could do with some more weight :angry: I told her I didnt want him any heavier because we jump....oh well nevermind :rolleyes: I guess if I ever wanted to show him properly they'd want to see him about twice the size he is now :wacko:

Edited to say, next show is Sandhurst pony club show next sunday - its on a the reading road that runs between yateley and eversley, just before the little eileen douglas shop or the cricket green if you know where that is? We are half a mile away so we're going to hack there :biggrin:

Edited by cabbagepatch88

Sounds like he is feeling his power is slipping with being seperated from 'herd' so is re inforcing his possition...

Glad Loki's home but confusing as to whats wrong :wacko: But 2-4 mths box rest :ohmy: :ohmy:

Bumble the little bugger is in trouble tonight :mad: :rolleyes: Hes really got it in for Fern at the moment, think its just a jealousy thing as Fern and Annie are together whilst hes in a small turnout patch in the same field but cant get to them. Tonight hed smashed fencing posts and wire and was racing around the big field guarding Annie from Fern. He was kicking out , bucking and ears back at her making faces. Luckily it seemed to have happened a few minutes before we got there so no damage done but Fern looked baffled as to what she'd done to deseve it, shes such a gentle girl :( I took Bumble and Annie in whilst Jodie got Fern so Annie got revenge by biting Bumble on the bum :rolleyes: Have to admit i'm a bit concerned about Bumble at the moment, hes normally so laid back but since stable rest and Ferns arrival hes not himself temperment wise. I hope its frustration/ jealousy and boredom and he'll calm down otherwise i dont know what it is. Any ideas?

Just had a thought as i wrote this, if Fern is possibly infoal could it be a hormone thing or is Bumble just a grumpy sod!

PW, yes definately got the indent between shoulder and neck, he is certainly rounder than normal but he has been out of full work for nearly 3 months so he isn't going to look sleek and fit. Have actually found a pic from August last year and not sure he looks much different :unsure:

Aug 2010.jpg

CP he does look rough doesn't he :laugh: he always looks ropey if he's out of work, saying that he would never impress seeing him standing on the yard, he changes completely once the tack goes on. When I viewed him the groom said I had to see him under tack before I walked away and you can see why :laugh: Think I will give him a type up with the clipper this weekend before we venture out in publin :cool:

Poor Bumble I agree with Grace perhaps he is feeling a bit vulnerable and feels the need to stamp his authority. Is he happy generally in himself?

CP I know where you mean, thats near my SJ trainer, might pop along if I'm around :flowers: I would say Milo looks spot on, there definately were some large horses in that class, but they do seem to like their show cobs on the fat side :wacko:

Thanks Grace and Clare :flowers: think you're probably right. Almost think he could do with working as well but he cant yet. The odd thing is a week or so after he'd hurt his back i said he was getting lammi, vet, physio and farrier all told me i was worrying too much. There was no raised pulse and no heat the lammi stance was caused by his bad back, i was checking them twice daily so know they were right but you all know the lammi struck with vengence in all four a few days later. Since hes recovered from lammi his back seems fine, hes bucking and being an idiot :rolleyes: with no sign of lameness or injury :unsure: As the diagnosis was assumed to be a slipped disc trapping nerves and they weren't sure how likely he was to recover. It was all doom and gloom with no positive outlook but now this nutter has no sign of anything wrong, it cleared as soon as the lammi bout was done. I dont doubt there was a back injury as Bumble has been known to put things out before but could he have had the onset of lammi contributing to the back pain and walking problems but not show the symptoms before he crashed with it :unsure:

Hows Loki doing?

Gooster...Are you still enjoying the Jessica saddle, my friend has one and loves it.

Edited by collies r best

I likey my Jessica!!! Had a really good lesson yesterday. As well as new stirrup leathers, I treated myself to a slightly longer schooling whip, as my old one is a bit too short. Blue doesn't like the new schooling whip. We had a major temper tantrum with bucking and and throwing his head in the air when he got a flick with it for the first time :laugh: :rolleyes: However it soon got him listening to my leg aids. Usually he gets a leg aid and if he doesn't listen, a flick. Yesterday, after he threw his teddies out of the pram, it just took a leg aid to get him to go forwards :) I like my new whip :biggrin:

Talking of schooling whips, how often do you replace yours? I have three in the umbrella stand at home but still use a couple of fairly grotty ones which are repaired with duct tape. Must admit I do have a bit of a problem using new things, Wanda bought the most beautiful baby blue headcollar and I had to force myself to put it on her! I think it's all part of the OCD problem to be honest.

Please vote on my mini Shetland Banner having her Asbo lifted! She really was the most dotty little pony and I was very much under the impression she had been badly treated at some point. For any and no reason would hyperventilate, leap sideways, rear and do the most amazing capriole I've seen from a small pony. The vet, farrier and dentist have all ended up wearing her at one time or another. Holding her was like having a greased ferret on a string, she just would not stand still!

I always said I would not drive her as she is so little but it became obvious she had to do something, her behaviour was escalting and rubbing off on her baby Lilli who was rapidly becoming as bonkers as her mum. So I stared to do a bit of lunging, well kite flying, she just flew round like a lunatic at first but I did find she responed to voice commands and had oviously been lunged before. Then I tried double line lunging, that went ok so moved on to longreining and all hell broke loose, she turned herself inside out, upside down, and everything possible for a very small pony to do so cue Sam and I having a rethink and getting out the Richard Maxwell pressure halter!

It didn't take long for her to start to work with it, if she would not stand she was backed up a few paces and within two days she would stand for as long as she was asked, she responed superbly to the lunging techniques and is now working really well, I'm so pleased with her! Concensus is that she has used her explosive behaviour in the past and got away with it so it had become her default 'Can't make me'! She is now a delightful little pony and it wont be long before the exercise trap makes its appearance.

I think her Asbo should be lifted! :biggrin:

Edited by Pendlewitch

Aww Banner sounds like she has met her match, patience, firmness and TLC :wub: Can't wait to see pics of her working!

I tend to replace schooling whips when I loose them which is quite often :laugh:

Spoke to my vet on Friday and he doesn't think what the hospital has come up with is relevant to what is going on, which is good to know. He also agreed keeping him on box rest is over the top at the moment, which is a huge relief.

I have to arrange for him to come out this week and take some bloods to test for insulin resistance, which I have been reading up on and does seem to tick a lot of the symptons going on, although he did say he doesn't think he has that but to be honest we are running out of things to test for :wacko: If this comes back negative then we have to assume its a post viral depression and just wait for him to come through it.

After a few days of long reining I rode him on Friday and he was as flat as before, which was a bit gutting as thought at least the first time he would have some spark :unsure:

I watched the 'groundwork' one of these at the weekend and was blown away.... might be good for the little monkey and you need next to no equipment....

http://brannaman.com/bbdbpage.htm

Thanks Grace and Clare :flowers: think you're probably right. Almost think he could do with working as well but he cant yet. The odd thing is a week or so after he'd hurt his back i said he was getting lammi, vet, physio and farrier all told me i was worrying too much. There was no raised pulse and no heat the lammi stance was caused by his bad back, i was checking them twice daily so know they were right but you all know the lammi struck with vengence in all four a few days later. Since hes recovered from lammi his back seems fine, hes bucking and being an idiot :rolleyes: with no sign of lameness or injury :unsure: As the diagnosis was assumed to be a slipped disc trapping nerves and they weren't sure how likely he was to recover. It was all doom and gloom with no positive outlook but now this nutter has no sign of anything wrong, it cleared as soon as the lammi bout was done. I dont doubt there was a back injury as Bumble has been known to put things out before but could he have had the onset of lammi contributing to the back pain and walking problems but not show the symptoms before he crashed with it :unsure:

Hows Loki doing?

Gooster...Are you still enjoying the Jessica saddle, my friend has one and loves it.

You could try pony agility!! (you understand Im only suggesting this because the photos will be so cute)

Talking of schooling whips, how often do you replace yours? I have three in the umbrella stand at home but still use a couple of fairly grotty ones which are repaired with duct tape. Must admit I do have a bit of a problem using new things, Wanda bought the most beautiful baby blue headcollar and I had to force myself to put it on her! I think it's all part of the OCD problem to be honest.

Please vote on my mini Shetland Banner having her Asbo lifted! She really was the most dotty little pony and I was very much under the impression she had been badly treated at some point. For any and no reason would hyperventilate, leap sideways, rear and do the most amazing capriole I've seen from a small pony. The vet, farrier and dentist have all ended up wearing her at one time or another. Holding her was like having a greased ferret on a string, she just would not stand still!

I always said I would not drive her as she is so little but it became obvious she had to do something, her behaviour was escalting and rubbing off on her baby Lilli who was rapidly becoming as bonkers as her mum. So I stared to do a bit of lunging, well kite flying, she just flew round like a lunatic at first but I did find she responed to voice commands and had oviously been lunged before. Then I tried double line lunging, that went ok so moved on to longreining and all hell broke loose, she turned herself inside out, upside down, and everything possible for a very small pony to do so cue Sam and I having a rethink and getting out the Richard Maxwell pressure halter!

It didn't take long for her to start to work with it, if she would not stand she was backed up a few paces and within two days she would stand for as long as she was asked, she responed superbly to the lunging techniques and is now working really well, I'm so pleased with her! Concensus is that she has used her explosive behaviour in the past and got away with it so it had become her default 'Can't make me'! She is now a delightful little pony and it wont be long before the exercise trap makes its appearance.

I think her Asbo should be lifted! :biggrin:

I had an image of Banner flying down the A frame and doing the weave, ooo, I wish I could draw. :biggrin:

Clare, Wanda suffers really badly from post viral depression and she is seriously good at getting viruses! Couple this with her pollen allegies and I have a horse flat enough to be posted! Last year I gave her a course of Aloe Vera juice and one of Visorbin although Visorbin has been a bit debunked as it's mostly sugar. I now use Red Cell (rocket fuel) instead. I do have to manage her carefully, we start the garlic in March, she can't have it all the time as it makes her anaemic, :rolleyes: plus the Pollenex, steroid the hocks in April and have in ready the steroid inhaler which she just loves!

It seems a lot but she is bopping and looks superb, she is a lot older then Loki but a virus is a virus, I was also wondering if he does have any pollen allergies, just thinking about his breathing etc? So glad you do not have to box rest, I think this causes even more depression!

YO Sam has two insulin resistant horses and they are very difficult to manage, this year has been easier as we have no grass to speak of and its helped enormously!

Yeah Im pretty sure pollen was a factor somewhere along and will start him on something early next year.

When Wanda has had her post viral depressions have they shown anything in blood tests?

Redcell made no difference to him this time, normally has rocket fuel effect too :laugh:

If there is such a thing you so have to do pony agility with banner :biggrin:

Yup, she's come up anaemic on more than one occasion, forgot she also has B12 shots every year too. Oh Lord, she does sound a bit of a disaster doesn't she, but now I know how to manage her it all works very well. Have you tried Pollenex with Loki, it does smell a bit but works fantastically well for Wanda, fortunately she is a right pig and will eat anything! :biggrin:

Haven't tried it but he eats most things so should be ok :laugh:

Had horrible ride on him last night, as it was a typical British summer evening :rolleyes: I decided to go in the school for a walk. Now being in the school I was more tempted to try and improve the walk a bit, as he is so far on his forehand I feel like I am going over his shoulder.

Couldn't do it :mecry: No matter what I tried there is no give in his middle either to bend or lift his back. I had a half hearted attempted at a little pony club kick and the only response I got was a grunt. This didn't feel like lethergy but like he is in pain and physically can not connect front and back end. But it doesn't feel like a back or lameness problem it just feels very wrong :mecry:

Vet back out on Thursday for bloods so will just have to wait until then as no point calling him as what can he say. It says a lot that my best hope is that I have an animal communicator "talking" to him tomorrow.