UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Ah the vet visit didn't really go as I thought :huh:

Started well enough, with vet thinking Loki's respiratory rate was back to normal, he then listened to his lungs, which he said sounded better than before .... but he was concerned that his heart rate was high, so off he went to his car and came back with watch to do it properly. Sure enough his heart rate is high enough for him to fail a vetting, then he noticed that his respiratory had risen since he first arrived :wacko: We both agreed that it wasn't stress related as Loki was pretty much dozing off at this point and we had gone through exactly the same procedure two weeks ago without this happening.

Bloods were taken and should get the results back on Thursday, depending on what they come back with most likely looking at him needing a ECG.

I am getting really worried now, he was very quiet tonight and people kept asking why the vet had sedated him (which he hadn't!). He perked up when I put his feed and hay in and was chomping away happily :wub: But I'm starting to get scared there is something seriously wrong with him now :mecry:

Just cancelled my space on the Mary King clinic :rolleyes:

Awww they are all :wub: :wub:

Blue is in the bad books at the moment. One of the other liveries got a new mare at the weekend and she has been put in the 'demic' group of horses (the broken ones + any others who don't really fit in anywhere else!!). The demics are in a field next to Blue and he has fallen hopelessly in love with her. He has trashed his rug (doG knows how) and apparently kicked a few of the other horses (and one owner :( ). Tonight when I went up I took his rug off and gave him a good brush. When I was brushing him, he got his little boys bit out and it was sparkly clean as opposed to being in it's usual minging state. I am really worried we'll be asked to leave as there are no other fields I can put him in that don't have mares in, and the owner of the new mare is reluctant to put her horse in with the other mares as they are all quite a lot smaller than her horse and she is worried she might hurt one of them.

Blue ya monkey, behave yourself or you’ll be starved of girlie company :ohmy:

Collies r best they are all gorgeous :wub:

Looking forward to more Milo piccies :wub:

Clare are the blood results back :worried_anim: hope they are ok :GroupHug:

Ladies calmmmmmmm down im sooooo not buying a horse yet :laugh:

Ufff :rolleyes: could be a while as the dogs are draining me atm with vets bills which could get a hell of a lot worse over the next month but thanks for the info on costs.

Anyway lesson today was on you know who (Magic), he was a bit sluggish at start of lesson and dropped back into trot from canter which isn’t like him but he soon perked up. Was bending really nice on a 20 metre circle though one of my feet kept slipping through the stirrup, instuctor said she thinks I wasn’t sitting evenly in the saddle. Last canter was better though I have to really concentrate on keeping my heel down.

There was show jumping on afterwards and we stayed to have a nosey, have to say, even though I don’t know much, I could see quite a few people winding horses up and just being what I thought was a bit rough. Some of the horses refused at some jumps and were given two or three hard smacks with the whip, I mean is that necessary? Can horses not be taught with positive reinforcement like dogs? Is there a reason they refuse? Should the jumps be lowered and then built up when the horse is happy rather than just whipping them?

I might have rose tinted glasses on when it comes to riding but id rather be like that than some of those people….poor horses :(

Anyway heres a piccie of Magic and I tonight just taken by one of the lads at the yard while he was sitting watching, he had to clear off as Magic was being silly every time we were passing him, friend taking her camera tomorrow so hopefully we'll get better shots.

264707_202531189792416_100001066099206_542263_3080570_n.jpg

Could the vet give him something to erm....'take the edge off' as it were I know you can with dogs.....

Awww they are all :wub: :wub:

Blue is in the bad books at the moment. One of the other liveries got a new mare at the weekend and she has been put in the 'demic' group of horses (the broken ones + any others who don't really fit in anywhere else!!). The demics are in a field next to Blue and he has fallen hopelessly in love with her. He has trashed his rug (doG knows how) and apparently kicked a few of the other horses (and one owner :( ). Tonight when I went up I took his rug off and gave him a good brush. When I was brushing him, he got his little boys bit out and it was sparkly clean as opposed to being in it's usual minging state. I am really worried we'll be asked to leave as there are no other fields I can put him in that don't have mares in, and the owner of the new mare is reluctant to put her horse in with the other mares as they are all quite a lot smaller than her horse and she is worried she might hurt one of them.

Oh norty Blue, is it possible to put some electric fencing across where the fields meet so he can't so close and personal :wink: Global Herbs Rigcalm is supposed to be very good for calming such behaviour down :flowers:

Lovely pics, Fern looks a real princess :biggrin: Bumble looks fantastic you'd never know he has been so poorly such a shiny coat :wub: and Annie :wub: :laugh: Does Lord Hoppy still catch rats on three legs?

Magic looks lovely, and you have a lovely position, wish I could sit that straight, look forward to more pics :flowers: Sadly riding like you describe is very common around show grounds :mecry:

Bloods are back and ...... they are completely normal. Actually think thats possibly a bad thing as most simple explanation would have been a virus, but there is no sign of him having one and apparently they can tell if the horse has had one in the recent past and theres no sign of that either. My vet is trying to arrange for his partner to come out and do ECG today, but he is completely baffled as to what it could be. I have a feeling this could be a long and expensive investigation, just about to call the insurance company :rolleyes:

Lovely pics, Fern looks a real princess :biggrin: Bumble looks fantastic you'd never know he has been so poorly such a shiny coat :wub: and Annie :wub: :laugh: Does Lord Hoppy still catch rats on three legs?

That was one of the most gutting things, Bumble had a beautiful shiny coat and was the sickest he'd ever been Hes doing ok but..i've got a gut feeling somethings not good ,cant put my finger on it but i'm worried about him :unsure:

Hoppy used to catch mice and rats but i ruined him for evermore :laugh: When my friend rented the stables many years ago i helped her out and occassionally gave Hops some tinned food, this progressed till he'd trained me to feed him twice daily :rolleyes: One day when i got there he had a live mouse in his mouth, as i walked in he dropped the mouse on my feet and whilst it ran he sat by his food bowl :laugh: that summed it up really :rolleyes: Hes now at least 13yrs old. :wub:

I was going to suggest rigcalm as well, may be worth a try.

Look forward to more Magic photos. Had an idea about you buying him. Would your yard use him in the school a few times a week for lessons/hacks in exchange for cheaper livery. Dont know if you'd like that idea or not? Someone i know does that and it works out ideal for her as he gets exercised and as hes a bit strong he only has capable experienced riders.

Edited by collies r best

Well it also rules out cancer which is good.... will be keeping everthing crossed its something simple...

Oh norty Blue, is it possible to put some electric fencing across where the fields meet so he can't so close and personal :wink: Global Herbs Rigcalm is supposed to be very good for calming such behaviour down :flowers:

Magic looks lovely, and you have a lovely position, wish I could sit that straight, look forward to more pics :flowers: Sadly riding like you describe is very common around show grounds :mecry:

Bloods are back and ...... they are completely normal. Actually think thats possibly a bad thing as most simple explanation would have been a virus, but there is no sign of him having one and apparently they can tell if the horse has had one in the recent past and theres no sign of that either. My vet is trying to arrange for his partner to come out and do ECG today, but he is completely baffled as to what it could be. I have a feeling this could be a long and expensive investigation, just about to call the insurance company :rolleyes:

Am going to see whether they settle down before starting him on any supplements, as he is out 24/7, he is getting a bit of a belly, so don't want to start giving him anything extra unless I really need to.

Lesson on Blue tonight, am hoping he behaves himself. Keeping fingers crossed that my instructor has her hat in her car just in case!!

Did Loki manage to get his ECG today? Hope he is ok :flowers:

Magic does look lovely, can't wait to see close up pics of him :wub:

It is all ok again at the farm! The mare has been moved and the boys are all ok again!!

Had an amazing lesson on him, we did so much canter work, and by the end we were doing walk to canter, which we have never done before. It took us a while to get used to it, but he was doing really well at the end! Am really pleased with him :wub: :wub: Best lesson ever :biggrin: