UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Clare, vet didnt suggest anything really, she was worried Fern wouldnt pull through as when she got there Fern was flat out, groaning and shaking. First time ever a vet has been able to examine her as she was beyond caring :laugh: but vet didnt want to push her luck! Theres been a sudden outbreak of colic over here the poor vet was shattered as she'd been up in the night to one colic who didnt make it :mecry: and was at a 2nd colic when i phoned about Fern.

Ooh wonder what has caused the sudden outbreak, have you had some rain for the grass to shoot through :unsure:

Does anyone have any thoughts if walking in hand as in going to a walk / hack would help with fitness before ridden work starts? Can't decide if it would help or not, he is walking around the field all day, so would going out bring any additional benefits do you think, other than for me :laugh:

My old boy used to love going for a walk inhand when he retired.Of course you have all the wise comments to put up with like

cant you afford a dog

thats a bloody big dog

have you lost your saddle

did you get your dog and horse mixed up

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: but if you can put up with that its good fun :unsure: :laugh:

re colic..no recent rain or anything in fact its that horrible heat that doesnt go away or cool down, could do with a bloody big storm to clear the air but dont know if the constant 'heavy' heat can cause colic trouble :unsure: Ferns brighter and kept following me and putting her head against me today :wub: Her owner wasn't concerned about her yesterday even though she was told how serious it was :(

Clare i would absoloutely take him out in hand. In fact when i go away in a few weeks ive asked my friend if she'll take milo for a walk :laugh: if hes up to it why not try teaching him some moves in hand or even walk over poles in the school to keep his brain engaged :) This weird heat has made milo go all funny too, hes not himself this week and i cant put my finger on it. I moved him to a new field on monday to allow his current one to grow up for the winter so maybe hes just stuffed himself stupid :laugh: having said that he just did a lovely schooling session for me, we managed leg yield in trot without getting faster, wahoo! Have got the saddler coming tomorrow and chiro coming monday just for checks :)

CP hope Milo is back to his normal self and its nothing to fret about and hope Fern is ok too :)

Pony is gorgeous and lovely long mane and tail :wub:

Clare glad Loki is a bit brighter and its been nothing too serious :)

I’d love a 9yo 15.1hh Hanoverian boy, must go check lottery ticket.

Good boy Blue, glad you had good lesson :)

We had flatwork lesson on Monday and jumping lesson today, don’t tell anyone but I think im starting to prefer the jumping lessons :ohno02:

Anyway heres a short video of Magic and I jumping today, ignore the running commentary (as you can hear I need to sit back and quit tipping forward) and the rather shaky hand of the young fella from the yard who was in charge of the camcorder :laughingsmiley: hopefully get a steadier videos next week.

Jumping

This was our second time round the course, clear round first time but two down the second. Will upload other videos tomorrow.

My GP saddle has gone off to have a bit of flocking put in and ive asked him to replace my girth straps to leather ones because my current ones are starting to crack! Other than that he said both of my saddles are a good fit on him and that neither would impede him from working correctly. So, next stop is chiropractor tomorrow and then hes got no excuse and will have to get shifting that lazy butt :laugh:

Well Milo has just been given yet another clean bill of health from the chiropractor who maintains that he's the most flexible cob hes ever met :laugh:

I discussed his lack of working from behind with the chiropractor who watched me trot Milo up in hand around the field and his opinion was that he works equally infront and behind so theres nothing wrong, hes just naturally short in his paces. He said I might be able to improve him over time with trotting poles etc but the difference wont be huge. Thats just him.

So I guess dressage and showing are out the window then :laugh:

Forgot to say, EAD lovely video, Magic looks scrummy :wub: The only thing id say is that your stirrup length looks WAY too long for jumping. I always find it helps me balance better for jumping if my stirrups are shorter and you get a better jump position that way too. It also helps when you need to do a light seat :)

Smarty pants :nahnah:

A course of jumps at that :biggrin: Magic looks super to learn on what a genuine boy :wub: Have you bought him yet :D

Hope Fern is on the mend and being a good patient :flowers:

Glad Milo and his saddle has got a clean bill of health. If you feel he is working worse now than before surely it can't be because of how he's put together :unsure: Hope he is back on form soon :flowers: What are your next plans for him? Don't discount dressage you get all sorts out and about and the good marks are got by being obedient and accurate he doesn't need to dance like a warmblood :wink:

Nothing to report from us, Loki seems to have maintained his slightly less depressed state and seems to be coping better with the heat this time, a new horse joined them at the weekend and it didn't seem to set him back to exhausted so hopefully we will get there its just not going to happen overnight.

Glad Milo and his saddle has got a clean bill of health. If you feel he is working worse now than before surely it can't be because of how he's put together :unsure: Hope he is back on form soon :flowers: What are your next plans for him? Don't discount dressage you get all sorts out and about and the good marks are got by being obedient and accurate he doesn't need to dance like a warmblood :wink:

It wasnt so much that hes working worse than before - its just really apparent that he doesnt use his back end much. He's gotten away with it up til now but I really want to get him working to the best of his ability. I can only try :laugh:

After adjusting the gullet in my dressage saddle it feels so much better, I feel much more centered, much better :) Just waiting for my GP to come back, havnt heard from saddler as yet.

Thinking of doing a Derby Day next weekend. Sounds like good fun, like showjumping but with XC style jumps, rustics etc. Will have to see if my funds will stretch to it before I go on holiday :rolleyes:

Gladd Loki's finally starting to pick up, bless him :flowers:

Thinking of doing a Derby Day next weekend. Sounds like good fun, like showjumping but with XC style jumps, rustics etc. Will have to see if my funds will stretch to it before I go on holiday :rolleyes:

Is that the Rose Cottage one?

I'm so bored and wish we could be doing fun stuff, heyho always next year and probably a new problem :laugh: